The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Early impressions of Willie Desjardins?

Sixteen W's

sucks on his teeth too much

All old people do that, don't be mean.

I think he's got the jitters still. People talked about Miller having it, or the skaters having it, but tbh Willie looks the most anxious out there. It doesn't help that you can practically watch his beard grow in real time with the post-game interviews. Makes him look ragged.

Character, Class, Communication and Accountability. Known for getting the most out of every player. Seeing how Bieksa seems to be stepping up, and the other vets are excited means he has them on-side. The new guys are getting the opportunity to show they belong here and being rewarded for their efforts. Last night was a full team effort and everyone dressed (except Lack) was a part of that victory. He knows how to build a "team".

I feel like the team is just more likable in general, as ridiculous as it sounds.

The mentality has changed on all fronts, starting with Linden. It's more upbeat instead of beat down.

I can get behind changes like this.

More importantly, better hockey is being played than last season with quite a few players on the team having something to prove.

It's got some drive.

No drama is my greatest early impression.

The local media aren't really talking about him. Game days the announcers aren't really talking about him. The game camera doesn't turn to him at every turn to capture a reaction.

It's all about the team, as it should be.

So it's all good.

Far too early to say but I believe in Linden and Benning than I ever did with Gillis, I was never sold on Mike even with the Stanley Cup appearance ( Burke-Nonis team ) that eventually proved his mis-management of the team right up to the Tortorella signing.

With AV, it was all about his stubborn process.

With Tortorella, it was all about him.

With WD, it's all about the team.

WD is a likeable sort with good character, seems honest, humble and respected by the players, we'll see how that translates in the win/loss column, so far so good.

With AV, it was all about his stubborn process.

With Tortorella, it was all about him.

With WD, it's all about the team.

WD is a likeable sort with good character, seems honest, humble and respected by the players, we'll see how that translates in the win/loss column, so far so good.

As I'll say again, AV's "stubborn process" has taken two separate teams to the Cup Finals in 4 years.

How do you feel about him so far, and what kind of difference do you think he's making to the team?

That moustache.

So far, I see WD doing his best to protect his players from public scrutiny in the face of their inability or unwillingness to buy into his system. I see a guy who is starting to show signs of frustration publicly, but refuses to talk smack about any of his players.

What I'm hoping for is a guy who, in private, is intense and forceful in communicating what the players have to do to play the system as drawn up. Hopefully he's making the players accountable for the failed assignments and lack of discipline that is reflected in retaliation penalties and bench minors for too many men.

I don't see the players playing an aggressive, close checking 200' game right now...as well, I see too many lazy/careless plays (e.g., Henrik Sedis' give-away on the Lightning blue line that resulted in Stamkos' goal), too much space given to opposing forwards by all our d-men and forwards being too relaxed in the neutral zone when opposing teams have the puck. I'm sure this lack of execution is driving Willie crazy, but I doubt he will ever go Tortorella on anyone.

IMO, all these things should be fixed by the first quarter turn...which is probably a better time to judge WD and the team. If the Canucks are .500 and better after 20 games as they internalize WD's system, we should be fine from December on.

Don't know why people care about his body movement.

Back when he was in Medicine Hat (or maybe in Texas), apparently they strapped heart monitors to all of the players, and gave one to Willie as well. His BPM on the bench was no different than those on the ice. He's just passionate, but shows he can exercise restraint. I'm happy about that.

What I don't like from the team are the habits that came from Torts' system. The over-aggressive forecheck and the D constantly pinching. Giving up too many odd-man rushes. I don't think the team needs to be so desperate to keep the puck in at the line, especially when the Sedins are on. Those two are amazing puck-possession guys. They will get other opportunities in the o-zone, don't need to sell out at the blueline

The team looks better than last season. That's all we can really ask, isn't it?

I can't fault them in the Colorado game nearly as much as I can in the Dallas game. That was just pathetic with no valid reasons as to why.

Pretty tough for any team playing back to back on the road and in Colorado (tired from travel and no acclimation).

So far, I see WD doing his best to protect his players from public scrutiny in the face of their inability or unwillingness to buy into his system. I see a guy who is starting to show signs of frustration publicly, but refuses to talk smack about any of his players.

What I'm hoping for is a guy who, in private, is intense and forceful in communicating what the players have to do to play the system as drawn up. Hopefully he's making the players accountable for the failed assignments and lack of discipline that is reflected in retaliation penalties and bench minors for too many men.

I don't see the players playing an aggressive, close checking 200' game right now...as well, I see too many lazy/careless plays (e.g., Henrik Sedis' give-away on the Lightning blue line that resulted in Stamkos' goal), too much space given to opposing forwards by all our d-men and forwards being too relaxed in the neutral zone when opposing teams have the puck. I'm sure this lack of execution is driving Willie crazy, but I doubt he will ever go Tortorella on anyone.

IMO, all these things should be fixed by the first quarter turn...which is probably a better time to judge WD and the team. If the Canucks are .500 and better after 20 games as they internalize WD's system, we should be fine from December on.

excellent post.

Archived