The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Early impressions of Willie Desjardins?

Sixteen W's

I like the system and style he has us playing. We're actually a decent team offensively. Simple counter attacking team. There are skilled enough guys on 4 lines to get secondary scoring from. Our GF is proof. We trade chances a lot but when you're as bad on draws as we are it's rarely easy offence you're getting.

Our D is suspect, and I don't think that's Willie's system. We are soft around our net and along the wall. Speed exposes our lack of it, and skilled players and teams have no fear of taking on our D one on one, beating us to the netball night. We really rely on goaltending to steal games.

Our skill up front is only going to increase with the prospects we have, but there is nothing being done in the organization to address our lack of a number 1 D man, or what we're going to do in 2-3 years when all these guys are old. Maybe that's next off season. Hamhuis is one of the best 2nd pairing guys in the league. Right now he has to insulate Bieksa, who should be a 3rd pairing guy. I hope Juice retires as a Canuck but he is getting near reduced role status. If we had a top guy to play with Edler, Tanev is better suited to play with Hammer. We have lots of guys to fill that bottom pair role.

Overall, we're too good of a team to finish last without some major injuries. It's not Benning's goal to pull a tank job.

If we're mediocre we're at least entertainingly competitive.

I was a huge Torts fan and was SO excited when he came here, but his style was so mismatched for our guys. I think Willie is a better fit by far, although I love the passion and brutal honesty that Torts has. I really did not like how overplayed the twins and others were under Torts, had he not done that I think the season could have ended much differently.

I can't compare him to the other coaches only the results at the end of the season will tell part of the story . We all need to be patient. This team is in transition and people need to see that for what it's worth, a poor season will be alleviated by a strong draft class.

We are 8th in the League goals for-per-game, 26th goals against. 2nd in shots per game and 18th shots against per game.

From what I see, based on those simple numbers and the games that I watched (which is all of them), the Canucks need to figure it out defensively. Learning a new system and having a significant change of players up front, i think both of those numbers could improve. We might stay in the top 10 for goals-for, but I think that, if we get more accountable and more hungry defensively, we could climb that goals-against ladder. I always find in the NHL it takes some time to get used to a new coach defensively, and often the offensive strategy clicks a lot sooner.

Rolling 4 lines is awesome to see. I really hope that guys like Sbisa, Weber, Stanton and possibly Sanguinetti (3 points in 7 games in Utica) are able to put it together at the NHL level and round out our defensive depth. I feel like a trade later on in the season to bolster our depth on the blue line is what is needed to become a playoff team. We have young guys getting close in the AHL, so it's possible Benning will have to make some tough choices this season.

If the team hasn't improved defensively by November... changes will need to be made.

We are 8th in the League goals for-per-game, 26th goals against. 2nd in shots per game and 18th shots against per game.

From what I see, based on those simple numbers and the games that I watched (which is all of them), the Canucks need to figure it out defensively. Learning a new system and having a significant change of players up front, i think both of those numbers could improve. We might stay in the top 10 for goals-for, but I think that, if we get more accountable and more hungry defensively, we could climb that goals-against ladder. I always find in the NHL it takes some time to get used to a new coach defensively, and often the offensive strategy clicks a lot sooner.

Rolling 4 lines is awesome to see. I really hope that guys like Sbisa, Weber, Stanton and possibly Sanguinetti (3 points in 7 games in Utica) are able to put it together at the NHL level and round out our defensive depth. I feel like a trade later on in the season to bolster our depth on the blue line is what is needed to become a playoff team. We have young guys getting close in the AHL, so it's possible Benning will have to make some tough choices this season.

If the team hasn't improved defensively by November... changes will need to be made.

the good news is that defensive zone system is one that can be taught and learned and takes time to get down. I'd be more worried if the offense was struggling because that's much more based on skill and creativity and can only be taught and learned to a certain extent.

The defensive system will evolve and improve, and it starts and ends with the d corp which is really struggling.

I have to admit, I was probably the biggest complainer of the second line but now that they're starting to build chemistry I can see what WD was hoping for. Higgins and Boner have something going. If Burr can find his game and tie the knot on that line we'll have something special.

Canucks get blasted 7 goals by a team that has struggled to score all season long. Next game, they shutdown one of the league's best offences and a pretty good team to 2 goals and 22 shots.

I know Washington played the night before and looked a bit tired (as we did against Colorado), but that's some pretty swift coaching. We played very well defensively and looked scary with the powerplay. WD is making his mark felt, although it's not as obvious as when Torts did. Whatever he's doing, it's working. He's got the Sedins back to over a point per game players (which I quite frankly did not think would ever happen again), he's got Edler to calm his game down and play big, reliable minutes, he's gotten Burrows' career back on track and his systems are benefiting Miller greatly.

The one thing I said we needed last season was for our stars to play like stars, and now they are. Our only problem now is depth, but bringing youth up into the lineup (Shinkaruk/Jensen/Horvat/Sanguetti/Corrado) or making some deadline moves could address that easily.

He's been great. My only issue with him though, has been him not using time outs when needed.

During the stars game, he surely should have taken one either on the 2nd goal... If not after the 4th. Then again in the avs game... He could have used it in many occasions.

I'm nitpicking though. I've been happy so far with his work.

Huge fan. It is VERY early but at this stage but he is a 9/10 in my books. Crawford was an 8/10, AV a soft 7, Torts a hard 2 and Keenan a 1.

This team has pretty lame to watch after losing in the cup final, and HORRIBLE last season.

We roll four lines, get contribution throughout the lineup, our PK is 5th, PP is 7th, and we're 6th in goals. Plus he just seems like a genuine dude with an honest moustache.

I really like Willie's attitude and how he is willing to give his bottom 6 forwards more playing time. The bottom 6 is taking advantage of the extra playing time and they are getting better. The fact that he took the time to visit the core players in the off season was also a classy move.

He's a nice calm influence which we lacked last year. I also think he's proving to be a smart coach too. I like how he's put together two good power play units and good PKers.

I'm sure liking this season a LOT better than the last one!

Seem to be steadily improving. Game against Montreal was good, they checked the speedy Habs very well and took their game away from them. Also like that he's not constantly juggling lines, allowing players to get familiar with their line mates. And look at the Sedins, getting right back into the kind of form we've become used to seeing. Best thing, IMHO, is that he has them playing a puck control game at both ends of the ice.

It's got to be the difference between night and day for players compared to last year, and it's starting to show across all four lines. Sure, there'll be off nights, always are for every team. But this team is showing steady improvement almost every game now.

Archived