The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

High School shooting reported near Seattle

OptionalPants

Glad I gradded back when guys just took their beef out behind the annexs and beat each other up. I never saw a gun, or heard of anyone having a gun until long after high school was over. Even after Uni was over. Only time Ive ever held a hand gun has been at a few shooting ranges in Las Vegas.

This is the problem.

Instead of being viewed as a vital life-skill it is relegated to a novelty attraction at a degenerate vacation destination.

(Not to be interpreted as a personal slight at Off.Threat)

This is the problem.

Instead of being viewed as a vital life-skill it is relegated to a novelty attraction at a degenerate vacation destination.

Why do you believe that it's a "vital" life skill.

Many people manage to go their entire lives without ever firing a gun and get along just fine. I myself am getting close to 54th year without ever having touched a gun.

This is the problem.

So you're saying everyone bear arms?

To me a vital life skill, is being able to swim, hand-eye co-ordination, gymnastics, running, and I think there's one more out there.

Why do you believe that it's a "vital" life skill.

Many people manage to go their entire lives without ever firing a gun and get along just fine. I myself am getting close to 54th year without ever having touched a gun.

Many people also went their entire lives never being ejected from a vehicle before seat belt laws. Since the odds are it won't happen.. why bother?

(Also glad to see you're back to talking about how safe it is in BC where gun crime is astoundingly low regardless of gun laws in comparison to any US region.. especially metro.. the inability to understand the perspective of those who actually face violent crimes rears it's ugly head yet again)

Many people also went their entire lives never being ejected from a vehicle before seat belt laws. Since the odds are it won't happen.. why bother?

(Also glad to see you're back to talking about how safe it is in BC where gun crime is astoundingly low regardless of gun laws in comparison to any US region.. especially metro.. the inability to understand the perspective of those who actually face violent crimes rears it's ugly head yet again)

I realize that my situation is different from Americans, but it still seems strange to me to refer to it as a "vital" life skill.

You said once that you had a gun pulled on you in San Francisco. Do you honestly think that having a gun yourself would have helped that situation? Every scenario I can imagine of you going for your own gun, ends up with you being dead.

i've already went down that road. he's never going to change or concede any point regardless of how logical it is. he genuinely believes if he had a gun he could have pulled it without being shot and either diffused the situation (yeah right, like pulling a gun will do that) or he could have shot the other guy before he had a chance to shoot him first. the dude walked away from having a gun pulled on him, he should feel lucky and learn from it, if he had a gun and tried to pull it, he wouldn't be here today to regale us about how guns are a vital life skill... instead he decided to live in constant fear that everyone in this world is out to get him and kill him at every turn... it's sad, really.

I realize that my situation is different from Americans, but it still seems strange to me to refer to it as a "vital" life skill.

You said once that you had a gun pulled on you in San Francisco. Do you honestly think that having a gun yourself would have helped that situation? Every scenario I can imagine of you going for your own gun, ends up with you being dead.

Yeah it would have, especially for any future person that idiot would have pulled his gun on (see? I care about the people!). I can't say I'd have pulled it on him when he was facing me (I'm not dumb enough to risk my life in that scenario if I think I stand a decent chance of losing), but as soon as he turned around, he would have got it in the back of the head. Would have also saved taxpayers the money in future dollars being spent toward his court appearance and jail time. Similarly, I'd risk being shot if someone had broke into my home in SF, never mind anywhere else in the US. The type of violent criminal in the US, particularly urban areas, is not something they encounter in Prince Rupert, nor Calgary. You stand a tenfold higher chance of being killed for absolutely no reason.

If you don't understand why one would want a gun in a situation like that, or Hupp's situation, then there's no helping you.

Yeah it would have, especially for any future person that idiot would have pulled his gun on (see? I care about the people!). I can't say I'd have pulled it on him when he was facing me (I'm not dumb enough to risk my life in that scenario if I think I stand a decent chance of losing), but as soon as he turned around, he would have got it in the back of the head. Would have also saved taxpayers the money in future dollars being spent toward his court appearance and jail time. Similarly, I'd risk being shot if someone had broke into my home in SF, never mind anywhere else in the US. The type of violent criminal in the US, particularly urban areas, is not something they encounter in Prince Rupert, nor Calgary. You stand a tenfold higher chance of being killed for absolutely no reason.

If you don't understand why one would want a gun in a situation like that, or Hupp's situation, then there's no helping you.

I completely understand why someone would want a gun, I'm just not convinced that anyone needs one.

Every time there's a mass shooting in the US, you're the first person to step up and claim that the outrage is a "knee-jerk" reaction, yet when someone questions the necessity of owning a gun, you're also very quick to bring up cases like the one above.

Seems like a case of pot meet kettle to me....

BTW: Weren't you the one claiming that my home town was "infested with violent crime"?

I completely understand why someone would want a gun, I'm just not convinced that anyone needs one.

Every time there's a mass shooting in the US, you're the first person to step up and claim that the outrage is a "knee-jerk" reaction, yet when someone questions the necessity of owning a gun, you're also very quick to bring up cases like the one above.

Seems like a case of pot meet kettle to me....

BTW: Weren't you the one claiming that my home town was "infested with violent crime"?

.. compared to?

Archived