The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gun nut’s scary Senate plan: Joni Ernst ready to shoot it out with the feds

freebuddy

Gun nuts scary Senate plan: Joni Ernst ready to shoot it out with the feds

The Huffington Post reported yesterday that Joni Ernst, the Republican candidate for Senate in Iowa, is prepared to shoot it out with the federal government, if necessary. Speaking at a National Rifle Association event in 2012, Ernst said that she carries a gun around to protect herself from government intrusion upon her rights. I do believe in the right to carry, Ernst said, and I believe in the right to defend myself and my family whether its from an intruder, or whether its from the government, should they decide that my rights are no longer important.

Ernsts campaign has, to date, worked very hard to keep hidden her extremist past and penchant for conspiracy theories, but her stated willingness to get into a gunfight with the federal government isnt really a revelation of her real views. Ernst wrote an August 2013 Op-Ed for the Des Moines Register in which she argued that the Second Amendment is the steel foundation upon which our freedom is built and the backbone of our God-given individual and constitutional right to protect ourselves and our families from those who would do us harm, be they an intruder or a tyrannical government. So it is an extremist position, but one that she hasnt taken any pains to conceal.

For conservatives, however, Ernsts remarks were no big deal and only the sort of thing that pansy liberals get upset about. National Reviews Charles C. W. Cooke wrote that all Ernst was doing was confirming back in 2012 that she isnt a slave. Also, Cooke argued, its perfectly reasonable for an average American to be concerned that the U.S. government will lapse into tyrannical excess: The notion that the state could potentially turn on its citizens is not a right-wing fever dream, nor was it a fear reserved by circumstances to the Founders time. If we learned one thing from the twentieth century it was that the state can be a force for extreme ill and that empowered citizens are necessary to forestall and, in extreme circumstances, to combat it. Is Joni Ernst supposed to pretend otherwise because it might upset the delicate flowers who would rather not think about such things?

I have a gun to defend myself isnt a controversial position. I have a gun to defend myself from government tyranny, is a whole different kettle of fish. Even among supporters of gun rights, the notion that a personal firearm served as a check on government excess was, until recently, a fringe belief. It was confined largely to the militia movements and low-rent insurrectionists like Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who was ready to go to war with the feds in defense of his lawless cattle grazing. Now its something youll hear from high-profile conservatives and even Republican members of Congress. Of course, stating your intention to use physical violence to defend against government tyranny raises an obvious question: What, exactly, constitutes tyranny? The interminable arguments over healthcare reform, immigration, executive orders, domestic surveillance and just about everything President Obama has done have shown that one mans tyranny is another mans sensible policy. References to the Affordable Care Act as tyranny are commonplace on the right. Talk radio hosts refer to the Supreme Courts refusal to deny marriage rights to same-sex couples as tyranny. The word has been thrown around so carelessly by conservatives that its come to mean something I disagree with. So the question for Joni Ernst is: At what point do you pull out that beautiful little Smith & Wesson nine millimeter and point it at a representative of the federal government? What action by the government would be sufficiently threatening to her rights that it would justify, in her mind, the use of violence? Shes already indicated that she would support legislation to jail bureaucrats who do nothing more than implement federal healthcare policy in her state, so it seems like her personal threshold for youre violating my rights is pretty low. And as Paul Waldman points out, comments like Ernsts reflect a lack of faith in the democratic process and doubts about the legitimacy of the government. In the American system, we dont say that if the government enacts policies we dont like, well start killing people. Its not clear that Ernst meant this, but its fair to ask her to explain what she did mean. Saying youre prepared to use force to defend yourself against the government isnt merely a declaration of personal freedom, as conservatives would have you believe. Ernst made a provocative statement about how she views the relationship between the federal government and the American people. Shes entitled to her belief that true freedom from government tyranny requires carrying a firearm at all times, but holding that belief requires her to explain at what point shed start shooting.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/24/gun_nuts_scary_senate_plan_joni_ernst_ready_to_literally_shoot_it_out_with_the_feds/

The sweetest irony is that the last republican president used a republican house and republican senate to erode those same rights she's threatening to shoot it out for.

Like I said, what's the hold up? Regardless of party, the government's run by rich men with their own interests and not the American people's in mind. Get a move on folks, we haven't got all day.

Like I said, what's the hold up? Regardless of party, the government's run by rich men with their own interests and not the American people's in mind. Get a move on folks, we haven't got all day.

Exactly, a country founded on revolution full of nothing but talkers.

Tick Tock...

I've been hammering this point home for a while now with these retards. Conservative gun nutters cry regularly about how corrupt and tyrannical President Blackenstein is. So... go deal with it like you claim you can. But they won't. Why? They are unwilling or unable and they know this. It's just a sick fantasy they have to shoot the black guy in the White House and pop off other democratically elected officials.

Given this is Salon, it's much like Rush finding some liberal caricature to justify stupid positions.

Gotta stir that election season pot and awaken the drones. As you can see, the American net of election season politics ensnares pseudo-intellectuals in Canada as well.

So an "amendment" is the foundation for the constitution and their freedom.. lol uwotm8. Do these idiots understand what an amendment is?

Also.. we love the constitution.. its perfect.. especially the changes haha.. the actual constitution.. the part about how the government will work we just throw that out the window when our side loses elections and threaten violence.

Right wingers live an a logical twilight zone.

Archived