Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jian Ghomeshi to sue CBC for $50M after crown corp cuts ties with radio host


Gross-Misconduct

Recommended Posts

Whats this all about? I actually listen to his show once in awhile. He's got great guests and covers a huge array of topics. I guess more will come out in time as to whats going on here.

Jian Ghomeshi to sue CBC for $50M after crown corp cuts ties with radio host
jian-e1395685052198.jpg?w=660
Jian Ghomeshi hosting the CBC Radio 1 show Q. Photo: Handout
Ishmael N. Daro
Published: October 26, 2014, 1:49 pm
Updated: 2 hours ago

Jian Ghomeshi is no longer with the CBC, according to a surprise announcement by the crown corporation on Sunday.

“The CBC is saddened to announce its relationship with Jian Ghomeshi has come to an end,” read a brief statement posted online. “This decision was not made without serious deliberation and careful consideration. Jian has made an immense contribution to the CBC and we wish him well.”

Asked for clarification on Sunday, CBC communications director Chuck Thompson told Postmedia that “information came to our attention recently, that in CBC’s judgement, precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian Ghomeshi.”

In response, Ghomeshi is planning to sue the public broadcaster for $50 million claiming “breach of confidence and bad faith,” according to a statement from the law firm Dentons Canada LLP sent out Sunday afternoon. His lawyers will file the lawsuit Monday morning.

The spat comes two days after Ghomeshi stepped away from his hosting duties on the popular radio program Q, although the reason was not immediately clear. He later said on Twitter that he was “taking some much needed personal time.”

Thanks for all the well wishes, you guys. I'm ok. Just taking some much needed personal time.

— jian ghomeshi (@jianghomeshi) October 24, 2014

The 47-year-old radio personality has been one of CBC’s biggest stars since launching his arts and culture program in 2007, making international headlines in 2009 after a testy exchange with actor Billy Bob Thornton. He previously hosted the music show Play on CBC Television and was a founding member of the rock band Moxy Früvous.

While the exact circumstances of the split are not yet known, media critic Jesse Brown says he is ready to report the details of a lengthy investigation into Ghomeshi on his news and podcast site Canadaland.

The Globe and Mail, meanwhile, reports that Ghomeshi has retained the services of Navigator, a communications firm that specializes in “crisis response and reputation recovery.”

What I have learned about @jianghomeshi after months of investigation will be reported responsibly as soon as possible. Patience please.

— Jesse Brown (@JesseBrown) October 26, 2014

Ghomeshi was set to host the Scotiabank Giller Prize gala on Nov. 10, to be broadcast live on CBC Television, but organizers confirmed he will no longer emcee the event. Q will continue to air on CBC Radio One with a series of guest hosts for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's with all of these outrageous lawsuit numbers.

The Steve Moore figures were ridiculous, I'm not so sure what to categorize this as.

Part of his PR campaign to clean his name before CBC and other media personalities/outlets drag it through the mud. Pre-emptive strike. The number doesn't matter as long as it has a shock value, which apparently it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So....let me get this straight.

He walked away from his job...2 days later CBC fires him, now he turns around is is suing them?

On top of that, for more money then he would ever make if he worked at CBC his entire life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So....let me get this straight.

He walked away from his job...2 days later CBC fires him, now he turns around is is suing them?

On top of that, for more money then he would ever make if he worked at CBC his entire life.

It was a leave of absence... you are making it sound like he ran away without telling anyone.

Though it was probably a cover. I'm sure he knew something was up when he took that LoA.

The $ amount is just a random number for PR reasons. Don't read too much into it.

So far he is playing his cards right. Whatever information CBC got hold of must be juicy enough to get him to lawyer and PR up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now he posted the reason for his firing on FB...

It's a long read, but I have bolded the essential parts.

Dear everyone,

I am writing today because I want you to be the first to know some news.

This has been the hardest time of my life. I am reeling from the loss of my father. I am in deep personal pain and worried about my mom. And now my world has been rocked by so much more.

Today, I was fired from the CBC.

For almost 8 years I have been the host of a show I co-created on CBC called Q. It has been my pride and joy. My fantastic team on Q are super-talented and have helped build something beautiful.

I have always operated on the principle of doing my best to maintain a dignity and a commitment to openness and truth, both on and off the air. I have conducted major interviews, supported Canadian talent, and spoken out loudly in my audio essays about ideas, issues, and my love for this country. All of that is available for anyone to hear or watch. I have known, of course, that not everyone always agrees with my opinions or my style, but I've never been anything but honest. I have doggedly defended the CBC and embraced public broadcasting. This is a brand I’ve been honoured to help grow.

All this has now changed.

Today I was fired from the company where I've been working for almost 14 years – stripped from my show, barred from the building and separated from my colleagues. I was given the choice to walk away quietly and to publicly suggest that this was my decision. But I am not going to do that. Because that would be untrue. Because I’ve been fired. And because I've done nothing wrong.

I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer.

As friends and family of mine, you are owed the truth.

I have commenced legal proceedings against the CBC, what’s important to me is that you know what happened and why.

Forgive me if what follows may be shocking to some.

I have always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom but I only participate in sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon, consensual, and exciting for both partners.

About two years ago I started seeing a woman in her late 20s. Our relationship was affectionate, casual and passionate. We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission. We discussed our interests at length before engaging in rough sex (forms of BDSM). We talked about using safe words and regularly checked in with each other about our comfort levels. She encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator. We joked about our relations being like a mild form of Fifty Shades of Grey or a story from Lynn Coady's Giller-Prize winning book last year. I don’t wish to get into any more detail because it is truly not anyone's business what two consenting adults do. I have never discussed my private life before. Sexual preferences are a human right.

Despite a strong connection between us it became clear to me that our on-and-off dating was unlikely to grow into a larger relationship and I ended things in the beginning of this year. She was upset by this and sent me messages indicating her disappointment that I would not commit to more, and her anger that I was seeing others.

After this, in the early spring there began a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization against me that would lead to months of anxiety.

It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious. I learned – through one of my friends who got in contact with this person – that someone had rifled through my phone on one occasion and taken down the names of any woman I had seemed to have been dating in recent years. This person had begun methodically contacting them to try to build a story against me. Increasingly, female friends and ex-girlfriends of mine told me about these attempts to smear me.

Someone also began colluding with a freelance writer who was known not to be a fan of mine and, together, they set out to try to find corroborators to build a case to defame me. She found some sympathetic ears by painting herself as a victim and turned this into a campaign. The writer boldly started contacting my friends, acquaintances and even work colleagues – all of whom came to me to tell me this was happening and all of whom recognized it as a trumped up way to attack me and undermine my reputation. Everyone contacted would ask the same question, if I had engaged in non-consensual behavior why was the place to address this the media?

The writer tried to peddle the story and, at one point, a major Canadian media publication did due diligence but never printed a story. One assumes they recognized these attempts to recast my sexual behaviour were fabrications. Still, the spectre of mud being flung onto the Internet where online outrage can demonize someone before facts can refute false allegations has been what I've had to live with.

And this leads us to today and this moment. I’ve lived with the threat that this stuff would be thrown out there to defame me. And I would sue. But it would do the reputational damage to me it was intended to do (the ex has even tried to contact me to say that she now wishes to refute any of these categorically untrue allegations). But with me bringing it to light, in the coming days you will prospectively hear about how I engage in all kinds of unsavoury aggressive acts in the bedroom. And the implication may be made that this happens non-consensually. And that will be a lie. But it will be salacious gossip in a world driven by a hunger for "scandal". And there will be those who choose to believe it and to hate me or to laugh at me. And there will be an attempt to pile on. And there will be the claim that there are a few women involved (those who colluded with my ex) in an attempt to show a "pattern of behaviour". And it will be based in lies but damage will be done. But I am telling you this story in the hopes that the truth will, finally, conquer all.

I have been open with the CBC about this since these categorically untrue allegations ramped up. I have never believed it was anyone's business what I do in my private affairs but I wanted my bosses to be aware that this attempt to smear me was out there. CBC has been part of the team of friends and lawyers assembled to deal with this for months. On Thursday I voluntarily showed evidence that everything I have done has been consensual. I did this in good faith and because I know, as I have always known, that I have nothing to hide. This when the CBC decided to fire me.

CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out." To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.

Let me be the first to say that my tastes in the bedroom may not be palatable to some folks. They may be strange, enticing, weird, normal, or outright offensive to others. We all have our secret life. But that is my private life. That is my personal life. And no one, and certainly no employer, should have dominion over what people do consensually in their private life.

And so, with no formal allegations, no formal complaints, no complaints, not one, to the HR department at the CBC (they told us they’d done a thorough check and were satisfied), and no charges, I have lost my job based on a campaign of vengeance. Two weeks after the death of my beautiful father I have been fired from the CBC because of what I do in my private life.

I have loved the CBC. The Q team are the best group of people in the land. My colleagues and producers and on-air talent at the CBC are unparalleled in being some of the best in the business. I have always tried to be a good soldier and do a good job for my country. I am still in shock. But I am telling this story to you so the truth is heard. And to bring an end to the nightmare.

https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/posts/10152357063881750

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huh. Interesting to see how this plays out.

I guess those rumours of him being a player were kinda true..

I'm on the fence with this one though..

For a radio host he seems to get himself in a lot of controversy lol. I mean the whole Billy Bob situation and now this.

Supposedly he has a cult following of women after him or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess those rumours of him being a player were kinda true..

I'm on the fence with this one though..

For a radio host he seems to get himself in a lot of controversy lol. I mean the whole Billy Bob situation and now this.

Supposedly he has a cult following of women after him or something.

If he can prove that everything he said in that FB is true, he's got a case.

Personally, I enjoyed his show but didn't really enjoy him, if that makes sense. He had great guests on and nothing was off limits.

He championed the arts and was pretty level headed with his on air opinions.

But as a person I think he has a huge over inflated ego. He pumped up the live tapings of his radio show like as if U2 was coming to town. Probably the result of a failed musical career. And I find him to be a bit of a phony. Always talking about celebrities like they are something special instead of just regular people who work in the entertainment field which is all they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess those rumours of him being a player were kinda true..

I'm on the fence with this one though..

For a radio host he seems to get himself in a lot of controversy lol. I mean the whole Billy Bob situation and now this.

Supposedly he has a cult following of women after him or something.

The Billy Bob thing wasn't really controversy as much as it was asking a person basic questions in an interview.

Also "a lot" of controversy would probably need more than 2 cases (1 really) in 8 years I would think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's absolutely doing the right thing by getting in front of this story and laying it all out there.

People just assume "No comment" means you're guilty anyway.

What does he have to lose? He's already been fired and is having his reputation dragged around.

Look at Marv Albert from some years ago. Same type of situation, he was smeared by a woman when it came to light he was into kink. He's still in high profile sports broadcasting because as memory serves he got out in front of the story.

I'm not a huge fan but he's a pretty good interviewer. Hope he comes out OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...