The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gordie Howe Suffers Serious Stroke

-AJ-

HOWE.jpg GORDIE HOWE SUFFERS “SERIOUS STROKE”, IS NOW RESTING

Gordie “Mr. Hockey” Howe suffered a serious stroke in Texas on Sunday, and has lost some function on one side of his body and has difficulty speaking. He is now resting at his daughter’s home in Lubbock, according to his son, Dr. Murray Howe.

Via the Detroit News:

“Basically, sometime in the early morning on Sunday he suffered a pretty bad stroke,” said Howe, who heads the department of radiology at Toledo Hospital.

“The right side of his body is very, very weak. He’s unable to stand without help. He’s able to speak, but very, very difficult to speak.

“He knows who he is. He knows the people around him. But it is very difficult for him to get up and walk around. So he is pretty much confined to his bed right now. So we’re just trying to keep him comfortable, and that’s our goal.”

Howe required spinal surgery earlier in the Summer, but had returned to “fairly fit” shape, walking up to a mile a day before the stroke.

-Nathan Webb

(Featured image via Markian Lozowchuk)

- See more at: http://detroitsportsnation.com/blog/gordie-howe-suffers-serious-stroke-now-resting/#sthash.83eY865y.dpuf

Kind of a big scare. He's 86, so it's likely the end is near for him, but still, it would suck to see such a legend die. All the best to him.

I haven't seen this posted already, but if it has been, feel free to remove it, mods.

Kind of a big scare. He's 86, so it's likely the end is near for him, but still, it would suck to see such a legend die. All the best to him.

I haven't seen this posted already, but if it has been, feel free to remove it, mods.

This isnt a scare. This is the beginning of the end I'm sure. 86 is a very full life but hopefully he can get squezze out some more peaceful days. No need hanging on too long if it just means suffering.

EDIT- I should of read on. You said its likely the end also. My bad.

God, the tales of hockey lore associated with this all-time great. In my forties, yet remember reading about him, as I was just a kid, & picturing him at the time as this elder-generation, great, but greying, legend of the game.

Not often a person is so respected & revered(in his own lifetime), over 5 or 6 decades, or perhaps 3 or 4 generations.

I'd guess the whole hockey world is quite afraid to lose this essential connection, to the early years of such a dynamic sport. I'm hoping Mr Howe fights back, then keeps goin' 'til past 100!

What a man, Mr Hockey is.

Sending positive thoughts to Gordie....Mr. Hockey, we aren't ready to lose you yet, fight hard!

My Mom had a stroke and lost most of the use of her left side...her hand completely and she had to drag her leg behind. She was young, and lived on for another 20 years after.

His age likely will factor in but, hopefully, he will get good care and resume with a decent quality of life. Time will tell....best wishes to him.

Archived