The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion

Where's Wellwood

For those who don't know, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is the shared universe of all the film franchises that Marvel, now owned by Disney, have the rights to. They are now sharing Spider-Man with Sony. Disney has purchased Fox so that Marvel will in the future be able to use the X-men, Deadpool and Fantastic Four.

Phase 1 began with Iron Man and ended with Avengers.

Phase 2 began with Iron Man 3 and ended with Ant-Man.

Phase 3 began with Captain America: Civil War and will end with Spider-Man: Far From Home

Most recently released film:

Spider-man: Far From Home —  July 2nd, 2019

large_far-home-poster.jpg

Edited by Where's Wellwood
  • Upvote 1

I'm curious to see if there will be any cameos in Civil War. In the comics, pretty much all the superheros had a part in it, but just 3 of the Avengers seem to be in it.

Anyhow, super excited for any movie Marvel related.

Well Cap, Iron Man, Black Panther seem like the main players. Fury, and Black Widow will probably be in it given that it's a Cap movie. Maybe Falcon and War Machine since their leading men are in it. Kevin Feige has indicated that Mark Ruffalo is on board with appearing in several Phase 3 movies (though no solo movie yet), so Hulk will likely be in it.

Feige also said that Thor: Ragnarok will pick up right after the events Avengers: AoU for Thor so he won't be in it.

leave me out of your hipster too cool for school stuff

but seriously, why does Sony have the rights to Spider Man? was it just a limited film deal, or do they just OWN the rights from now? on?

Back then, Marvel was about go bankrupt so they sold their rights to popular characters like Spidey and X-men.

Sony own the rights to make films within the Spidey universe. (Not cartoon)

Edited by soshified

Back then, Marvel was about go bankrupt so they sold their rights to popular characters like Spidey and X-men.

so it's just for movies? i know Marvel produces Spider Man comics still, but does some of that profit or creative direction go to/come from Sony? i used to love Spider Man as a kid, but goddamn I think the direction of the movies is pretty bad. repeating villains already, Garfield is a terrible peter parker, and the excessive CGI just kills it for me

it's hard when you're the karl marx of hipster

523428981ca90fa1b17daded729ff7dd6475d747

• Upvote 1

so it's just for movies? i know Marvel produces Spider Man comics still, but does some of that profit or creative direction go to/come from Sony? i used to love Spider Man as a kid, but goddamn I think the direction of the movies is pretty bad. repeating villains already, Garfield is a terrible peter parker, and the excessive CGI just kills it for me

I believe Marvel has the rights to all characters when it comes to comics and merchandising. Sony has the movie rights to Spiderman. Fox has the movie rights to X-men and Fantastic Four.

If they do not produce a movie within a certain time period (3-5 years I think) then the rights return to Marvel.

Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher and Blade have all gone back to Marvel.

Daredevil is getting a Netflix series, Blade is rumored to get another movie, I've heard nothing about Ghost Rider or Punisher.

Apparently Sony and Marvel are in negotiations over sharing Spiderman in the MCU but as of now there is nothing to report on.

I read a lot about this on cinemablend but I am too lazy to look it up and post the source(s). Just take my word for it! I love me my comics.

Super excited to see how the MCU works out on screen. Heard rumours that Benedict Cumberbatch might be Dr. Strange?

According to Deadline everything was signed sealed and delivered but Marvel didn't make an announcement with all of the other stuff. Makes me wonder if he'll be cast or if it'll be someone else.

If not Benedict, my money is on Keanu Reeves.

Oh damn. I didn't know that

On a side note, I've been trying to really get into the Marvel Universe. I've always been a casual fan, but over the last few months, I've really been trying to learn more of the lore

Edited by Guest

Oh damn. I didn't know that

On a side note, I've been trying to really get into the Marvel Universe. I've always been a casual fan, but over the last few months, I've really been trying to learn more of the lore

Marvel offers free digital copies of their comics from time to time. Just make account and you can read some on your computer. Link: https://comicstore.marvel.com/free-comics