The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion

Where's Wellwood

leave me out of your hipster too cool for school stuff

but seriously, why does Sony have the rights to Spider Man? was it just a limited film deal, or do they just OWN the rights from now? on?

They own the rights as long as they continue to make movies every few years. That's why FF4 is being rebooted, so that the FF4 rights don't go back to Marvel. I mean, Reed Richards doing science with Tony Stark and Bruce Banner? Yes, please!

Back then, Marvel was about go bankrupt so they sold their rights to popular characters like Spidey and X-men.

Sony own the rights to make films within the Spidey universe. (Not cartoon)

12:56 onwards. And Sony won't let us forget it.

BTW thank you for starting this thread WW. An internet forum where I can talk about hockey AND comics?! This is too good to be true.

No problem. The MCU is too big to not talk about.

According to Deadline everything was signed sealed and delivered but Marvel didn't make an announcement with all of the other stuff. Makes me wonder if he'll be cast or if it'll be someone else.

If not Benedict, my money is on Keanu Reeves.

Before Benedict, Joaquin Pheonix was apparently deep in negotiations to play Strange but that fell through. I wouldn't be a fan of Reeves doing it. I think Benedict is perfect.

Out of all those, only Thor interests me, and possibly the Avengers (but I'd only watch them if I could see both parts at once).

I hated the ending to the first Captain America movie, so I never watched the 2nd.

The rest of those titles just don't seem like stand alone movies to me, or I just have no interest in the main character.

I'd really be excited if they made a sequel to the first Punisher movie though.

I've enjoyed the movies thus far, but all this feels like a stretch. Also given how underwhelming the Avengers 2 trailer was, I don't find myself caught in any of this hype. I'll definitely give them all a watch, probably most of them in theatres even, but I don't particularly care about any of it.

I know who all these people are, in that as a person who has never read comics, I've still run into them all in one medium or another. But it's such an obvious PR and political move to ensure that they included the first black and first female title heroes in this.

At the same time though I probably care the most about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in all these, and the first one was the one that I rolled my eyes at in the last series of Marvel movies, so I suppose they all deserve a chance. But for now, it all remains meh.

More than likely this grouping will be the thing that cements my super hero exhaustion. I think the problem is that they're trying too hard to avoid a Batman & Robin type genre killing entry, so they'll just continue keeping everything safe. But after watching the exact same scenario over and over again, I think the exhaustion has to play itself out, especially with those DC movies playing this same angle now.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

I've enjoyed the movies thus far, but all this feels like a stretch. Also given how underwhelming the Avengers 2 trailer was, I don't find myself caught in any of this hype. I'll definitely give them all a watch, probably most of them in theatres even, but I don't particularly care about any of it.

I know who all these people are, in that as a person who has never read comics, I've still run into them all in one medium or another. But it's such an obvious PR and political move to ensure that they included the first black and first female title heroes in this.

At the same time though I probably care the most about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in all these, and the first one was the one that I rolled my eyes at in the last series of Marvel movies, so I suppose they all deserve a chance. But for now, it all remains meh.

I think it was also a response to DC releasing there own slate of 346 movies between now and 2020. Their way of saying anything you can do I can do better.

Out of all those, only Thor interests me, and possibly the Avengers (but I'd only watch them if I could see both parts at once).

I hated the ending to the first Captain America movie, so I never watched the 2nd.

The rest of those titles just don't seem like stand alone movies to me, or I just have no interest in the main character.

I'd really be excited if they made a sequel to the first Punisher movie though.

Dude Captain America the Winter Solider was a fantastic movie and you should totally watch it, much better than the first.

• Upvote 4

More than likely this grouping will be the thing that cements my super hero exhaustion. I think the problem is that they're trying too hard to avoid a Batman & Robin type genre killing entry, so they'll just continue keeping everything safe. But after watching the exact same scenario over and over again, I think the exhaustion has to play itself out, especially with those DC movies playing this same angle now.

I think it was also a response to DC releasing there own slate of 346 movies between now and 2020. Their way of saying anything you can do I can do better.

They'll beat DC to the punch regarding the first black title hero since Black Panther in 2017 will beat out DC's Cyborg movie set for 2020, but Wonder Woman will get her own film a year before Captain Marvel is out.

Peek into Avengers 3 I guess, weird how they let this get through security and such

I'm thoroughly excited for Dr Strange, it's a safe cast with Cumberbatch (if the reports are true) but who knows how it'll turn out.

Also looking to see where they go with the storyline, if they

Kill off Cap America for the civil war since IIRC Chris Evans is only signed on for 3 more movies? and bring in Bucky as the new Cap America. Perhaps allusion with the broken shield in the trailer for Avengers 2?

Also I'd love to see a Planet Hulk movie which could potentially come despite not being announced? *crossed fingers*

And for Thor how they're going to play off Ragnorak as my presumption is that they're going to basically destroy everything per the comics.

And my main concern is that they'll mess up the Thanos storyline since he's basically omnipotent and omniscience, throw in the infinity gauntlet and how's it all going to play out? Especially since it's a 2 parter movie for now.... Probably go with the storyline where he lowers himself to mortal power as a point of pride, but still.

Also would love to see Death portrayed but... not exactly PG-13 or Disney-esque. Not very many people got the tidbit at the end of Avengers when the servant says "To attack the humans is to invite Death" and he smiles, but that's his motif all along.

Nerd out.

Peek into Avengers 3 I guess, weird how they let this get through security and such

I'm thoroughly excited for Dr Strange, it's a safe cast with Cumberbatch (if the reports are true) but who knows how it'll turn out.

Also looking to see where they go with the storyline, if they

Kill off Cap America for the civil war since IIRC Chris Evans is only signed on for 3 more movies? and bring in Bucky as the new Cap America. Perhaps allusion with the broken shield in the trailer for Avengers 2?

Also I'd love to see a Planet Hulk movie which could potentially come despite not being announced? *crossed fingers*

And for Thor how they're going to play off Ragnorak as my presumption is that they're going to basically destroy everything per the comics.

And my main concern is that they'll mess up the Thanos storyline since he's basically omnipotent and omniscience, throw in the infinity gauntlet and how's it all going to play out? Especially since it's a 2 parter movie for now.... Probably go with the storyline where he lowers himself to mortal power as a point of pride, but still.

Also would love to see Death portrayed but... not exactly PG-13 or Disney-esque. Not very many people got the tidbit at the end of Avengers when the servant says "To attack the humans is to invite Death" and he smiles, but that's his motif all along.

Nerd out.

That's a clip from this: 10:50 to 12:40

Also, AoU has an extended trailer with a clip from the movie at the beginning.

I'm a total sucker for superhero movies and will probably catch all of these in theaters.

Most excited for Civil War and Infinity Wars (I heard it's not going to have the A-list avengers?), but also just to see how the entire Marvel universe expands and develops. I wonder how much Agents of Shield will play into the events in these movies.

Don't want to start a war here but DC has a lot of work to do to catch up but they've definitely got the potential to even surpass all the Marvel hype.

I'm a total sucker for superhero movies and will probably catch all of these in theaters.

Most excited for Civil War and Infinity Wars (I heard it's not going to have the A-list avengers?), but also just to see how the entire Marvel universe expands and develops. I wonder how much Agents of Shield will play into the events in these movies.

Don't want to start a war here but DC has a lot of work to do to catch up but they've definitely got the potential to even surpass all the Marvel hype.

DC doesn't seem to be able to market any superheroes but Batman and Superman. Look at how badly Green Lantern went splat, and how unimpressive Watchmen was, not to mention that stupid movie with Shaq. They're logically afraid of making a standalone Robin film.

Though, can't knock them for trying, they've got a huge list of films coming out between now and 2020 (Batman vs. Superman, two Justice League films, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Flash, as well as a Reynolds-less Green Lantern reboot) -- they're trying to add a bunch of A and B-list actors to the mix, but the actors were never the issue. It was the story and marketing, which, unless they make drastic changes, will just continue to plague the series as people get a complete overload of superhero movies over the next 5 years and change. I see myself being fed up of the lot well before then.

Edited by Mr. Ambien
  • Upvote 1

It's gonna be a very sad day when all of this is over. I sure hope they don't kill Cap off at some point.

Didn't they already announce this is in the works?

I think Chris Evans has said that he plans to retire from acting and take up directing once his 6 movie contract with Marvel is done. If you do the math, Cap 1, Avengers, Cap 2, A2: AoU. He's filmed 4 already.

Add in Cap 3 (which he's definitely in), and A3: Infinity War Part 1, and there's 6.

Not that there isn't precedence for actors extending past established contracts. RDJ was done his contract after Iron Man 3, but extended it for A2 and A3 (believed to be only one movie at the time), and then later got brought into Cap 3.

So there's no guarantee that Cap will die in A3: Part 1, his 6th movie, but it would be a hell of a cliff hanger if done right.

Plus, Bucky Barnes has been Captain America before in the comics, and the Falcon has taken up the mantle in the comics too. So even if Steve Rogers dies, Captain America might live on.

Him? frack. Well I won't be watching that movie now, lol.

Not a fan? :lol:

There's rumours that Skye will be revealed as an Inhuman soon, years before the movie.

I think Chris Evans has said that he plans to retire from acting and take up directing once his 6 movie contract with Marvel is done. If you do the math, Cap 1, Avengers, Cap 2, A2: AoU. He's filmed 4 already.

Add in Cap 3 (which he's definitely in), and A3: Infinity War Part 1, and there's 6.

Not that there isn't precedence for actors extending past established contracts. RDJ was done his contract after Iron Man 3, but extended it for A2 and A3 (believed to be only one movie at the time), and then later got brought into Cap 3.

So there's no guarantee that Cap will die in A3: Part 1, his 6th movie, but it would be a hell of a cliff hanger if done right.

Plus, Bucky Barnes has been Captain America before in the comics, and the Falcon has taken up the mantle in the comics too. So even if Steve Rogers dies, Captain America might live on.

Not a fan? :lol:

There's rumours that Skye will be revealed as an Inhuman soon, years before the movie.

Either scenario to me is really stupid.

I guess the good news is they'd not kill him off as soon as I thought. I figured by the end of Cap 3, he was a goner, but if what you say about Infinity Part 1 is true, LOL.. I just might be done with Marvel and DC films by then from burnout. Can only take so much.

Him? frack. Well I won't be watching that movie now, lol.

Whys that? I agree he isn't the strongest actor but I think he can pull off the persona of Strange well enough.

Also can you imagine the sad sad day when there's no more Stan Lee cameo's because he's passed away? That'll be a sad sad day. :( :(

As for the whole DC thing, I hope they do well if nothing else to drive the competition. However it's different when Marvel has built up the ensemble with standalone movies (albeit some of them not really a huge hit) but DC is just throwing the Justice League out there without much standalone startoffs aside Batman and Superman. But aside those 2 who are other huge marketable names? Green Latern? flopped. Flash? My favorite DC superhero but despite the TV show, still pretty unknown. Aquaman? Wonder Woman? Sorry but for me the names of Marvel just are more significant at this point. I mean really a standalone Cyborg movie? That's stretching I think. Although I would love a good Darkseid/Doomsday superman movie.