The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion

Where's Wellwood

DC doesn't seem to be able to market any superheroes but Batman and Superman. Look at how badly Green Lantern went splat, and how unimpressive Watchmen was, not to mention that stupid movie with Shaq. They're logically afraid of making a standalone Robin film.

Though, can't knock them for trying, they've got a huge list of films coming out between now and 2020 (Batman vs. Superman, two Justice League films, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Flash, as well as a Reynolds-less Green Lantern reboot) -- they're trying to add a bunch of A and B-list actors to the mix, but the actors were never the issue. It was the story and marketing, which, unless they make drastic changes, will just continue to plague the series as people get a complete overload of superhero movies over the next 5 years and change. I see myself being fed up of the lot well before then.

For me, DC's problem is that their heroes just aren't that interesting. Superman yes, Batman yes, Wonder Woman has potential but after that what do they have that Marvel hasn't already done better?

Flash? Please, the guy has ONE of the powers Superman has and that's it. Boring.

Green Lantern? The movie was ruined by terrible writing and trying to do too much at once. Ryan Reynolds will be much better as Deadpool.

Suicide Squad? I know of Deadshot and Harley Quinn but this seems like a straight up rip off trying to capitalize on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Aquaman? I was never interested in him as a kid but if a good portion takes place underwater I will see it just for the special effects aspect.

DC's bad guys don't interest me either. Lex Luthor has been played out to death and the only other ones worth watching come from the world of Batman.

I've always found it harder to identify with DC because their characters don't exist in real places.

Gotham, Metropolis, Atlantis, etc. A good portion of Marvel's characters are from real places. For me it adds a little extra to the universe. One less thing to complain about not being realistic.

I wish all the success in the world for DC, IMO there can never be too many comic book adaptations. Marvel has built one hell of fanbase though, and DC is gambling big time trying to play catch up.

Oh and I think that Shaq movie was called Kazaam. The one where he's a genie?

Edited by In4TheCup

^^^

I think the main issue that DC is having is that they have less realistic characters and more fantastic/costume orientated characters. For movies, everyone wants dark and gritty, and the DC characters just aren't as dark and gritty as many of the marvel ones. The DC heroes where brightly coloured suits, have secret identities, and tend be pure good guys, while many of the marvel characters exist more in a grey area.

DC works better for cartoons, but worse for live action films. The DC universe just has far less realism.

DC does have some great work in its side lines: Watchmen, Constantine, V for Vendetta, the Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, etc.. but the main universe does not quite have that movie potential. Although if they did Green Lantern properly, it could be great.

Look at how badly Green Lantern went splat, and how unimpressive Watchmen was

You crazy.

Watchmen was better than anything marvel have put out.

That you put it in the same sentence as the Green Lantern is redonk.

Edited by :D

Although I've followed both, I've always been more of a fan of DC then marvel and it's fun to debate which is better (one thing you can't debate however, is the fact that if Batman entered the Marvel universe, he'd break it) , I gotta say, it's pretty awesome how they've planned out the movies to tie together and shown spoilers (loved Thor in Iron Man).

You crazy.

Watchmen was better than anything marvel have put out.

That you put it in the same sentence as the Green Lantern is redonk.

Not a chance, especially Watchmen coupled with the cartoon crap that was with the Ultimate Cut version. I wouldn't say it was as bad as Green Lantern, but they weren't impressive, if you're not someone who's overly fascinated with the comics.

Not a chance, especially Watchmen coupled with the cartoon crap that was with the Ultimate Cut version. I wouldn't say it was as bad as Green Lantern, but they weren't impressive, if you're not someone who's overly fascinated with the comics.

Well, that is one opinion.

I never even heard of the Watchmen before I seen the movie and I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Are you serious? He's incredible in Sherlock

Struggled with watching more than one episode because of him, in spite of my contrasting love for Martin Freeman. It's the same reason thay I won't be interested in that Alan Turing movie he's in, despite my being a big fan of the history and mechanics behind the enigma machine.

He just comes off as smarmy and self promoting. I know people don't feel the same way about him, but I'm just unable to stand him, or any role he takes up.

For me, DC's problem is that their heroes just aren't that interesting. Superman yes, Batman yes, Wonder Woman has potential but after that what do they have that Marvel hasn't already done better?

Flash? Cyclops? Hulk? <insert any number of marvel heroes here>? Please, the guy has ONE of the powers Superman has and that's it. Boring. (FTFY)

Green Lantern? The movie was ruined by terrible writing and trying to do too much at once. Ryan Reynolds will be much better as Deadpool. (Can't judge a super hero with a long history like Green Lantern by 1 movie - he's pretty awesome)

Suicide Squad? I know of Deadshot and Harley Quinn but this seems like a straight up rip off trying to capitalize on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. (originally published a couple decades ago....)

Aquaman? I was never interested in him as a kid but if a good portion takes place underwater I will see it just for the special effects aspect. (The king of Atlantis who doesn't like humans isn't an interesting super hero?)

DC's bad guys don't interest me either. Lex Luthor has been played out to death and the only other ones worth watching come from the world of Batman. (Obviously Batman has a lot of awesome villians, but there are a ton of other great ones - Crime Syndicate, Brainiac, Darkseid, Deathstroke - hell, even Lex is pretty awesome, he has no super powers he's just super smart)

I've always found it harder to identify with DC because their characters don't exist in real places.

Gotham, Metropolis, Atlantis, etc. A good portion of Marvel's characters are from real places. For me it adds a little extra to the universe. One less thing to complain about not being realistic. (WHAT?!?! lol out of all the possible things you could complain about not being realistic, Gotham and Metropolis are on the list? I hope you realize how incredibly silly that sounds....)

I wish all the success in the world for DC, IMO there can never be too many comic book adaptations. Marvel has built one hell of fanbase though, and DC is gambling big time trying to play catch up.

Oh and I think that Shaq movie was called Kazaam. The one where he's a genie?

so many obvious amateur super hero fans out there heh...

Struggled with watching more than one episode because of him, in spite of my contrasting love for Martin Freeman. It's the same reason thay I won't be interested in that Alan Turing movie he's in, despite my being a big fan of the history and mechanics behind the enigma machine.

He just comes off as smarmy and self promoting. I know people don't feel the same way about him, but I'm just unable to stand him, or any role he takes up.

The next time I have a killing role in Mafia, you're the first to go

That makes you a professional super hero fan? Ha!

Flash is a character inside the DC universe who fights alongside superman on the justice league. He has one of supermans powers. Boring!

If Guardians of the galaxy hadn't been the success it has there would be no chance of a suicide squad movie. Total rip by DC regardless of who published what and when.

I don't find Aquaman interesting. Doesn't mean it won't be a good movie.

Green lantern is interesting but that first movie sucked. Big time.

It is nitpicking to say that having real life settings makes comic books more believable but it's just one more thing overall.

To each there own. Seems like I prefer Marvel, you prefer DC. As long as people are reading comics and enjoying them, that's all that matters!

Edited by In4TheCup

I don't find Aquaman interesting. Doesn't mean it won't be a good movie.

Green lantern is interesting but that first movie sucked. Big time.

Prince Namor would make a far more interesting film chanracter than Aquaman.

Green Lantern should have been good, they had so much to work with there, but simply didn't know what they were doing.

^^^

I think the main issue that DC is having is that they have less realistic characters and more fantastic/costume orientated characters. For movies, everyone wants dark and gritty, and the DC characters just aren't as dark and gritty as many of the marvel ones. The DC heroes where brightly coloured suits, have secret identities, and tend be pure good guys, while many of the marvel characters exist more in a grey area.

DC works better for cartoons, but worse for live action films. The DC universe just has far less realism.

DC does have some great work in its side lines: Watchmen, Constantine, V for Vendetta, the Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, etc.. but the main universe does not quite have that movie potential. Although if they did Green Lantern properly, it could be great.

That's funny, since one of the main criticisms I've heard about the MCU is that it isn't dark and gritty enough compared to Nolan's Batman.

That's funny, since one of the main criticisms I've heard about the MCU is that it isn't dark and gritty enough compared to Nolan's Batman.

Flash? Cyclops? Hulk? <insert any number of marvel heroes here>? Please, the guy has ONE of the powers Superman has and that's it. Boring. (FTFY) All that means it that Superman has too many powers, which is one of the reasons I just can't like Superman.

Green Lantern? The movie was ruined by terrible writing and trying to do too much at once. Ryan Reynolds will be much better as Deadpool. (Can't judge a super hero with a long history like Green Lantern by 1 movie - he's pretty awesome) I've always wanted to see what would happen if Green Lantern stuck his ring into Iron Man's Arc Reactor, and all of the suits were powered by the ring.

Suicide Squad? I know of Deadshot and Harley Quinn but this seems like a straight up rip off trying to capitalize on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. (originally published a couple decades ago....) So was GotG. What's your point? DC wouldn't attempt a movie about a non-mainstream team, if GotG hadn't shown it could work.

So any hero that has only one of the powers Superman has is boring, but Superman has too many powers so he's unlikeable - sounds like you just can't win

That would be interesting...

My point is Suicide squad isn't a straight up rip off trying to capitalize on the success of Guardians.... my point is it's been around for a while. Sure Guardians may have shown it can be successful, but that doesn't make it a rip off. You could also claim that Assault on Arkham was testing the waters just as much as Guardians to see if there was any interest.

So any hero that has only one of the powers Superman has is boring, but Superman has too many powers so he's unlikeable - sounds like you just can't win

That would be interesting...

My point is Suicide squad isn't a straight up rip off trying to capitalize on the success of Guardians.... my point is it's been around for a while. Sure Guardians may have shown it can be successful, but that doesn't make it a rip off. You could also claim that Assault on Arkham was testing the waters just as much as Guardians to see if there was any interest.

It wasn't me that said that Flash (or any other character) is boring because he has one of Superman's powers. I was just saying that the fact that Superman has Heat/Laser vision, ice breath, super speed, super strength, flight, X-ray vision, etc. makes him overpowered. A hero only having one of those doesn't make them boring.

Can you really say that DC would try a Suicide Squad movie, of their own accord, if GotG hadn't been a success? It's the same way that Marvel is probably only doing a Captain Marvel movie because DC is doing Wonder Woman.

It wasn't me that said that Flash (or any other character) is boring because he has one of Superman's powers. I was just saying that the fact that Superman has Heat/Laser vision, ice breath, super speed, super strength, flight, X-ray vision, etc. makes him overpowered. A hero only having one of those doesn't make them boring.

Can you really say that DC would try a Suicide Squad movie, of their own accord, if GotG hadn't been a success? It's the same way that Marvel is probably only doing a Captain Marvel movie because DC is doing Wonder Woman.

So you don't think Flash is boring? So you disagree with I4TC.... ok good

And yeah I can say that actually, because apparently WB had planned to do one several years ago, but it got put on the self so they could do the Batman Superman movie first.... so, the success of the Avengers killed it, instead of Guardians making it happen.