The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Burrows suspended 3 games

-Vintage Canuck-

What do you think of the Alex Burrows suspension?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I said the same exact thing, but because of the head contact. I just don't understand how they are now suspending people for the lateness of the hit, when this crap happens all the time. As long as the league is consistent, which it won't be i'm sure, then I am content.

The league was an absolute joke before when it came to late hits. They not only allowed it they celebrated it. But the league has slowly come along and turned the corner. If for no other reason than it is scared of future lawsuits claiming the league didnt do enough to protect the players.

In this case, Burrows had plenty of time to peel off but he wanted to make a late hit and he hit the player up high. That's exactly what the league is trying to put a stop to. I think it's a fair suspension BUT I'll be pissed when the next similar hit happens and they dont give the same suspension. But for now I think it's fair.

Feels to me like they got it right, though I'm a bit sheepish to say it.

A suspension should feel like a burn and not some 1 week vacation.

I don't feel it was completely intentional. Burr does shit to get under the skin of players, but don't think he's out to put anybody out of the game.

Looked more like he botched on finishing his check, but still made contact. Watch his back leg move out of the way... could have been a dirtier hit if he didn't let up a little.

Good that nobody is hurt bad

kinda off topic but not really...does any of you think there will be a day where all 4 officials on the ice can call penalties and On/offside.... like football has a ref for every receiver... hockey wouldnt be adding an extra ref or anything just all 4 guys can make calls....

im wondering this because you see in the replay the linesman that had a front row seat wouldve for sure called that penalty and you can see that ref actually had a montreal player between him and the hit and didnt see it ( for those of you wondering it why it wasnt called, they didnt see it so it didnt get called.. now go wonder about something else.)

Im not certain but I think linesmen can infact call penalties. Though perhaps that is just bench minors.

"We respect the league's decision. We weren't expecting it would be 3 games, but we'll live with it." - Benning on Burrows' suspension

"Alex tried to hit shoulder-to-shoulder. Hockey is a fast game. Those plays happen. We'll live with it and move forward." - Benning

I know what he's saying behind close doors .. and it rhymes with sucking pull spit

Guess it's the league just cutting their losses.

And us, stuck left having to deal with it.

Could you imagine the sh*t storm the NHL would have to deal with from MTL and their fans if it was 1 game or no suspension?

The NHL can live with this and will probably not loose any sleep over it.

It's a long season and you can expect set backs.

More room for others to show what they got and step up.

Let's be real if that was Subban hitting Daniel Sedin you'd be calling for five.

Take off the blue and green glasses, and you'll see that was a good suspension

Obvious troll is obvious.

No. I'd say that's exactly what would of happened.

Using common sense and looking at this situation w/o the blue and green glasses as the poster said is not trolling.

So they brought in all Burrows fines in his 10 yrs as a rap sheet, didn't know they could do that. Will have to watch other suspentions to see if they follow the same criteria. Thought they only went back 1 calender year.

Did they?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has a record of predatory hits.

Biting and hair pulling, maybe... but that's comparing apples to oranges.

The league can go fuck off.

Was a borderline hit worthy of a fine, maybe 1 game, but 3 games? Holy crap. What a load of bs.

It's not like Burr targeted the head with his elbow with full intent. It was a late hit and and he followed through like anyone does with a bodycheck and accidentally got the head. Wasn't a clear elbow or anything, a simple follow through.

These are the types of things that make it clear the league is full of sh*t. This was clearly a name/reputation call and not one based on the play itself. If this was Hansen or Tanev, would be 0 games definitely.

No surprise especially since the refs/league were paying off the zebras last night too, had no doubt they would tag Burrows. But it's stupid when you expect a fine and maybe 1 game and they up it and give 3. Just pathetic. And to top it off the guy wasnt even injured and didn't say anything about it.

Archived