The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Ference Suspended for Three Games

-SN-

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=737464&navid=DL|NHL|home

NEW YORK Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andrew Ference has been suspended for three games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Vancouver Canucks forward Zack Kassian during NHL Game No. 163 in Vancouver on Saturday, November 1, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 14:03 of the second period. Ference was assessed a minor penalty for illegal check to the head.

Ference is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $118,902.45. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link:http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=661573&lang=en

Makes absolutely no sense that it's the same amount as Burrows.

A reluctant 3 it seems because they know it can't be lower than Burr's..

As for Burr not being a repeat offender, they can look at his fines as him having a 'past' so that's why he got 3 despite not being a repeat offender - because there is history.

Still, Ference is a repeat offender and his hit was much worse, so I was expecting 4-5.

Ference is a repeat offender, left his feet and specifically targeted the head. There really is no comparison to the Burrows hit. Burrows didn't leave his feet, isn't a repeat offender and his deal was the lateness of the hit and the fact he had an opportunity to back off and didn't. I maintain that Burrows suspension was too long and Ference's was pretty much where it should be. He couldn't get less than 3 or it would look really bad on the D.P.S.

The league is a fucking joke. Ference deserved at least 5-10 games. They have no interest in getting head shots out of the game at all obviously. If they did and had any balls they would ensure that a feckless turd like Ference loses significant salary and playing time. He's willingly and knowingly hurt other players.

The guy is sick.

The DPS should be independent of the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=737464&navid=DL|NHL|home

Makes absolutely no sense that it's the same amount as Burrows.

Let me see, lift off your skates, target the head, repeat offender, smirk and say that I didn't deserve a penalty, then the kangaroo court gives him three games. Consistency Gary, that's all we ask. I really don't think these hearings have any agenda or guideline to follow regarding suspensions. Maybe they need a new dartboard.

The Broken, Never Fixed Department of Player Safety

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014/10/31/7136295/the-broken-never-fixed-department-of-player-safety

"The NHL was acting like they gave a damn about player safety and they did...for 10 minutes."

"Back to the newly formed Department of Player Safety (DoPS). As quickly as they tried to change the culture of the NHL, the GMs decided to kick up a fuss and not let them do their job. DoPS power was stripped. Once again, the GMs were controlling the players' safety and the usual s***-show that is the NHL suspension model resumed. This time, there was no system overhaul to save them, no white knight to coronate before he presided over one suspension. Shanahan became the fall guy after he tried to do his job. His hands were tied and he could not do what it initially looked like he wanted to do. No one will ever know Shanahan's master plan."

"The thing is, the NHL has the power to change the culture that it presides over. The NHL has the power to suspend hits from behind, hits to the head, and late hits really tightly. They can adopt a zero tolerance for these hits and cut them out of the game fast. 5 games for the first offence; 10 games for the second; 20 games for the third. Really tough penalties that hurt both the team and the player. It won't happen because it would mean doing something about the problem. One can dream though."

On Burrows hit the puck wasn't in the play and was gone from the area for a while, it was a head hit from the blind side 3 things wrong with it. He also didn't get a penalty or a match penalty and was able to play the rest of the game when he should have been kicked out so I think 3 games is fair 2 if he would have missed the rest of the game. Ference's hit was square to the player but he got his elbow/forearm up in Kassians face the puck was in the play i would have thought 1 maybe 2 games for it but because he is a repeat offender I thought 4 but it isn't that far off with 3.

Archived