The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Marc-Andre Fleury

Actually, when it comes to negotiating one of the main points an agent can make is "look at the past x seasons with xx points".

That holds weight.

If I was Rutherford I would have told Fleury's agent that unless positions open up in LA or St. Louis, chances are he won't land a starting job in the NHL and be able to keep it.

Stringing together a few shutouts early on this season isn't enough to erase the bulk of Fleury's work in Pittsburgh, which has been inconsistent despite winning a championship.

To me, the money and term aren't factors, I just think that the Pens can (and should) find a better goalie to play for them.

There's no need to sign him so soon.

If he dominates in the post-season, he'll be probably offered the same contract as now, perhaps with a slight bump.

Should he collapses, the Pens could easily re-sign him for cheap or they will definitively know that Fleury is done for.

Stringing together a few shutouts early on this season isn't enough to erase the bulk of Fleury's work in Pittsburgh, which has been inconsistent despite winning a championship.

You mean a Stanley Cup, a consistent 2.30 GAA and 9.10 to 9.10+ SV%? I think his career is good enough to warrant the terms of his new contract.

I would have looked elsewhere...

Fleury's career save percentage in the playoffs is slightly less than Niemi's, and even less than Pavelec's career regular season save percentage. Even the times he hasn't completely crumbled, it's not like he was all-world.

Yep, me too. Wouldn't want to be hanging a contender's hopes on a guy as unpredictable as Fleury. Was there a NTC/NMC attached to this overpayment?

Four straight seasons with a sv % under .900 in the playoffs, and then one bounce back season - I wouldn't have committed that significantly.

I dont think it was a horrible thing to re-sign him. I mean the guy does have a cup, as well as being the cup runner up the season prior. He is certainly not the most rock solid guy in goal come playoff time, but honestly, when Pittsburgh wins or loses in the playoffs its not as a result of his play. If anything they need to goon up there 3rd and 4th line a bit so they can physically match the Bruins and Rangers. The Eastern Conferance is constantly changing, but I can see the Penguins again reaching the SCF if they stay healthy and add one or two grit players for the bottom 6.

Archived