The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jack Johnson suspended 3 games

No other history or bad reputation, so 3 is reasonable given other suspensions. He has to know he needs to make contact with the leading shoulder there when he's coming from that angle to the side.

I think the NHL will have no choice but to start suspending more heavily to really try and get these out of the game. It's clear with the recent suspensions there's too much happening still. They're putting more emphasis on the 'elevated' part of the hit, which is good, since players really need to start the hit lower even if they do come up after making contact.

I just flashbacked to Aaron Rome in 2011, what did he get for that, 5 right? 5 SCF games nonetheless..

4, and that was a late hit directly from the front, not an illegal check to the head coming from the side. I'm not sure of your point.

Just lame...

This is not the way hockey was meant to be played,

That Cane's player watched his pass and got nailed,

That's Hockey..

At least it used to be.

Johnston is a big, tall guy throwing hockey hits should probably not be something he does as there is a very good chance he will contact the head of a shorter player.

It would be nice if the NHL could just get to the point and ban physical contact altogether, then someone would start a rival league and probably burry them financially.

At which point they would have to accept that hockey is of it's very nature dangerous, and that you cannot ask people to make split second decisions and fully asses the consequences at the same time.

They are suspending people for not doing the impossible. The only option? Stop hitting altogether.

Geez. Even when I agree with them they still manage to piss me off! This is a good suspension for the right reasons. And yet, how many other hits have we seen where a person drives up through the hit and the NHL has said it wasn't worth a suspension?

If elevation made this an illegal head hit worthy of a suspension (and it did!)

jackson_suspension.jpg

...why didn't this get a suspension?

ribeirohitmatthias3.jpg

So they blew the Ference suspension then. Ference left his feet, primarily contacted the head on a player who should have expected contact and is a repeat offender. If this is 3, Ference should have received 4 or more.

Well he at least had history where Johnson had none. The repeat offender status is referenced in the article on the suspension, but not in the actual video so it may not have been a factor.

Ference didn't completely leave his feet prior to the hit though, and it's questionable if even his left skate was off the ice when he made contact. They only reference him elevating into the hit, just as with the Johnson explanation. They're actually pretty similar hits except Tlusty didn't return to the game due to injury, so I can see how that bumps up the Johnson suspension to equal to the Ference ruling.

Just lame...

This is not the way hockey was meant to be played,

That Cane's player watched his pass and got nailed,

That's Hockey..

At least it used to be.

If he'd hit him squarely through the body, then it would be just a hockey hit. But he doesn't, hitting in front of the body and contacting the head.

I'm surprised people still don't realize the difference between a legal, full body hit with incidental contact to the head and an illegal hit to the head where the body wasn't either: a.) squarely contacted, b.) contacted late due poor timing or c.) due to elevating unnecessary up or out into the hit.

People can keep saying it, but he comes directly from the front of where Matthias is turning to head, doesn't elevate into him, keeps his elbow down until contact is made, and isn't late since Matthias just had the puck. I'd like to see that hit more squarely through the body, and I hate it when players push out the elbow like that even after contact, but I can see how it wouldn't be suspendable.

Thats seems very similar to the Rome incident.

Again, how? Just because Tlusty was watching his pass? It wasn't late and with the new rules was illegal contact to the head, where Rome's was just late. They're pretty different in the angle of approach too.

Well he at least had history where Johnson had none. The repeat offender status is referenced in the article on the suspension, but not in the actual video so it may not have been a factor.

Ference didn't completely leave his feet prior to the hit though, and it's questionable if even his left skate was off the ice when he made contact. They only reference him elevating into the hit, just as with the Johnson explanation. They're actually pretty similar hits except Tlusty didn't return to the game due to injury, so I can see how that bumps up the Johnson suspension to equal to the Ference ruling.

Perhaps they could spell out how many games each aggravating factor constitutes, then there would be no grey area. For example.

Head contact = 1 game

Leaving feet = 1 game

Late hit (within 1 second) = 1 game

Late hit (2 sec. or over) = 2 games

Elbow comes up = 2 games

Repeat offender = 1 game

3rd Offender = 2 games.

*These are off the cuff examples, I'm quite sure it would be a long list. As I see it, Ference deserved more, it was almost the exact same hit and IMO Ference did leave his feet. Oh well. I'm not really complaining about this suspension, it was a bad hit, he was suspended. End of story.

Scott Stevens got into the HHOF for these hits.

The NFL had the same problem....well perhaps not exactly. What I mean is, the NFL celebrated many stars who are still touted as legends for hits that are now illegal and suspendable.

Archived