The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

flyers canucks caps (proposal)

so sedins are signed for 4 yrs including this yr and we have horvat getting 9 game audition then back to junior and the worlds at xmas. We have a few to many forwards sestito, hansen look to be the odd men out with richardson and mattias and dorsett as ufa next yr.

im proposing we trade a salary dump for another salary dump

1. vinny lecavier and morin for sestito hansen and weber gives us a d prospect and vinny wins

faceoffs and can score contract expires when sedins do

2. markstrom and jensen for bowey and a 2nd

sedin sedin vrbata

higgins bonino burrows

kassian lecavier mattias huge 3rd line thats more like a second line

dorsett richardson vey

edler tanev

stanton bieska

hamhuis sbisa

miller

lack

our prospect poole. gets bigger on defense morin bowey corrado hutton the russian subban

forwards - horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, cassels, mccann, gaunce

plus our first and 2 second rounders in a deep draft

The Philly trade you basically give them 2 healthy scratches and a 3/4 liner for their best defensive prospect and a bad contract. What Philly gets back is irrelevant to their team so the question becomes does Philly want to get rid of Lecavalier so badly that they give up Morin just for someone to take him.

IMO prob not.

Hextall seemed stingy about holding onto those defensive prospects and though he wanted to move Vinny in the offseason he didn't see it as something that had to happen at any cost (I mean would you want the Canucks to trade one of their best prospects just to get rid of a contract?). Vinny to his credit also is still productive. He has 4 points in 5 games now (2 goals). His main concern continues to be injury.

Realistically though Umberger has become a much uglier problem than Vinny.

The Philly trade you basically give them 2 healthy scratches and a 3/4 liner for their best defensive prospect and a bad contract. What Philly gets back is irrelevant to their team so the question becomes does Philly want to get rid of Lecavalier so badly that they give up Morin just for someone to take him.

IMO prob not.

Hextall seemed stingy about holding onto those defensive prospects and though he wanted to move Vinny in the offseason he didn't see it as something that had to happen at any cost (I mean would you want the Canucks to trade one of their best prospects just to get rid of a contract?). Vinny to his credit also is still productive. He has 4 points in 5 games now (2 goals). His main concern continues to be injury.

Realistically though Umberger has become a much uglier problem than Vinny.

See Jason Garrison.

In all honesty with the issues that the team is having cap wise, the injuries on that blue line and the possibility that someone in the league might force the NHLs hand on the pronger cap circumvention now that Bettman said what he did and hired him in to the DSP it's possible they'd offload him with a gem toss in.

But, OP forgets that Hextall isn't an idiot and wouldn't take Sestito who was waived from Philli and it would take a shade more than Hansen to facilitate the rest of that trade

See Jason Garrison.

Care to explain yourself?

I hope you didn't just hint that Vinny's value was equal in your eyes to that of Garrison last year. First of all, Vinny struggled to find a spot on ANY line with the Flyers that it may actually have taken adding Morin to the package to move him (granted, he does have 4 pt. in 5 GP now) while Stevie Y. bought low when Benning didn't want to pay for 5 Top-4 D-men with Tanev's emergence. With that said, Jason was the main piece going out (no way Costello and the 7th can equal Morin's value) so it's not like he was the liability that was dumped due to having no value and other value pieces had to be included to do so, since he did lead the D-group in scoring last season (7 goals, 33 points).

so sedins are signed for 4 yrs including this yr and we have horvat getting 9 game audition then back to junior and the worlds at xmas. We have a few to many forwards sestito, hansen look to be the odd men out with richardson and mattias and dorsett as ufa next yr.

im proposing we trade a salary dump for another salary dump

1. vinny lecavier and morin for sestito hansen and weber gives us a d prospect and vinny wins

faceoffs and can score contract expires when sedins do

2. markstrom and jensen for bowey and a 2nd

sedin sedin vrbata

higgins bonino burrows

kassian lecavier mattias huge 3rd line thats more like a second line

dorsett richardson vey

edler tanev

stanton bieska

hamhuis sbisa

miller

lack

our prospect poole. gets bigger on defense morin bowey corrado hutton the russian subban

forwards - horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, cassels, mccann, gaunce

plus our first and 2 second rounders in a deep draft

So you'd trade for if you could injury riddled lecavalien (who has a NTC) at 4.5 mil for four years? That's the first thing that came to mind. How many more centres do we need especially if we're trading wingers to acquire one. What happens next year when we're stuck with another NTC?

Breaking up the Matthias, Richardson, Kassian line? Madness! Two big wingers with a centre who can win draws. Why oh why would you trade for an older injury ridden centre at a much higher cap hit to fill a spot that doesn't need to be filled? 3rd line is starting to show some promise, let them gel.

I agree Horvat will likely be sent down after the wjc, that is far from set in stone. He's played one game! He could very well break out this year or we could suffer injuries, there's a million variables that would see him stay with the big club.

I like Hansen, he's a great bottom 6 winger who,can occasionally play top 6. He could very well be the odd man out however, he also carries a LNTC.

All that being said, we are winning right now. Why screw with it?

Care to explain yourself?

I hope you didn't just hint that Vinny's value was equal in your eyes to that of Garrison last year. First of all, Vinny struggled to find a spot on ANY line with the Flyers that it may actually have taken adding Morin to the package to move him (granted, he does have 4 pt. in 5 GP now) while Stevie Y. bought low when Benning didn't want to pay for 5 Top-4 D-men with Tanev's emergence. With that said, Jason was the main piece going out (no way Costello and the 7th can equal Morin's value) so it's not like he was the liability that was dumped due to having no value and other value pieces had to be included to do so, since he did lead the D-group in scoring last season (7 goals, 33 points).

Explain?

Why man, it's self explanatory.

Cap dump.

I thought I explained that fairly well in my explanation already. Dumping a bad contract you need to give someone something good in return

No trade for Lecavalier. Nothing.

Exception-if Phi locked up Morin for as long as Lecavalier's contract, at a really low salary. But of course, under the CBA they can't do that until next season.

hansen sucks he had no finish again tonight bubbled the puck on a breakaway could have made score 4-2 but instead we barely squeal a win out lecavier is a much better player than hansen regardless of age. hes not 40 hell jagr is 42 and id take him any day of the week over hansen. hansen makes 2.5 mill as a fourth liner this yr and for next four seasons thats horrible hes not worth his pay

hansen sucks he had no finish again tonight bubbled the puck on a breakaway could have made score 4-2 but instead we barely squeal a win out lecavier is a much better player than hansen regardless of age. hes not 40 hell jagr is 42 and id take him any day of the week over hansen. hansen makes 2.5 mill as a fourth liner this yr and for next four seasons thats horrible hes not worth his pay

Did you really just compare Lecavalier to Jagr? If you're complaining about Hansen making 2.5 on the fourth. What happens when Vinny is making 4.5 on the third? If he can indeed even keep that spot. His contract is a nightmare for the type of player he is, and what he'd bring for our team. What hole does he fill that we aren't filling by committee? If you're going to cherry pick one game as to the play of Hansen, how about the rest of the team. We clearly were outplayed all game. I've been on the boards off and on, mostly reading and I've always wondered if you were a troll or just not that bright. My bet goes to the latter.

Explain?

Why man, it's self explanatory.

Cap dump.

I thought I explained that fairly well in my explanation already. Dumping a bad contract you need to give someone something good in return

Though in this specific example what is the good in gaining that cap space now?

The cost to the Flyers is losing their best defense prospect and downgrading the NHL roster. The gain is the cap space. Cap space is only as valuable as what you can do with it so what does Philly do with it?

The offseason is over and they won't be using it to sign a big Free Agent. As far as resigning their own players goes Philly actually doesn't have any big name pending FA's. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Jason Akeson are the only two roster forwards with expiring contracts and Michael Del Zotto is the only healthy line up defenseman with an expiring contract. And Ray Emery in net.

I would truly be fine if Lecavalier got traded for nothing other than a cap dump but I don't see a reason to be so desperate to move him that I would start throwing away prospects like Morin. If you could say doing this lets them sign a big name defenseman or doing this lets them resign Voracek then I would at least see it having some justification but at this point it's a big price to pay for gaining unspendable money.

Archived