The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

flyers canucks caps (proposal)

Though in this specific example what is the good in gaining that cap space now?

The cost to the Flyers is losing their best defense prospect and downgrading the NHL roster. The gain is the cap space. Cap space is only as valuable as what you can do with it so what does Philly do with it?

The offseason is over and they won't be using it to sign a big Free Agent. As far as resigning their own players goes Philly actually doesn't have any big name pending FA's. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Jason Akeson are the only two roster forwards with expiring contracts and Michael Del Zotto is the only healthy line up defenseman with an expiring contract. And Ray Emery in net.

I would truly be fine if Lecavalier got traded for nothing other than a cap dump but I don't see a reason to be so desperate to move him that I would start throwing away prospects like Morin. If you could say doing this lets them sign a big name defenseman or doing this lets them resign Voracek then I would at least see it having some justification but at this point it's a big price to pay for gaining unspendable money.

Hey I am not saying any deal of this type happens, especially as the OP plays it out.

But I am saying teams do favours for other teams by throwing in goodies when they eat large worthless contracts. Happens frequently

But I am saying teams do favours for other teams by throwing in goodies when they eat large worthless contracts. Happens frequently

Jason's big-money contract was the goodie that Yzerman wanted, since he saw Jason's value and fit for his Top-4. No way should Jason and Vinny be mentioned in the same breath in terms of value last year. While you say Philly would've thrown in Morin to get rid of him only to get scraps back, there didn't need to be too much thrown in for Jason (Costello, if Stevie saw something special in him? the 7th?!). Both in terms of the return and the throw-in's included the two aren't in the same class.

My point is, you should've found a better example for cap dump sweetener (more like when McDonagh was thrown in by Montreal when they traded Gomez, MUCH better than your Garrison example).

jagrs a champ so is vinny not sure why no one thinks hes a good player he had one bad yr last yr because of injuries. he can still score and isnt that bad as you make out id definately rather him on our roster than stone hands hansen regardless i hope we trade hansen soon hes a bum. dam u gillis for extending him

Archived