The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wait-- Powerplay awarded after scoring on delayed call? Edm v Bos

RyGuy7654

I was watching highlights from tonight.. I noticed in the Boston vs Edmonton game that Boston was on a break, Nikitin (Edm) trips a player (Bos) and the refs hand goes up to signal a delayed call. Boston scored not 2 seconds after... and then they still go on a powerplay?? Noting that this goal was scored on a powerplay too...

But is that how it works then? Score the goal, negate the current powerplay. And now you are awarded the new one?

I think that was a major turning point in the game. If a rule guru could comment on this, I would appreciate it!

Cheers

I was watching highlights from tonight.. I noticed in the Boston vs Edmonton game that Boston was on a break, Nikitin (Edm) trips a player (Bos) and the refs hand goes up to signal a delayed call. Boston scored not 2 seconds after... and then they still go on a powerplay?? Noting that this goal was scored on a powerplay too...

But is that how it works then? Score the goal, negate the current powerplay. And now you are awarded the new one?

I think that was a major turning point in the game. If a rule guru could comment on this, I would appreciate it!

Cheers

Yes.

It wouldn't have mattered though either way if they negated the delayed call or not. Had they just waived the delayed call(even though it would be the wrong call), there would still be a bit of time left on the PP when they scored that goal

think about it this way, if it was a 5on3 then the earliest call would be wiped out (the first one called), in this case the second penalty wasnt enforced at the time of the goal so it had the most time remaining so it stands and the first one gets negated.

Archived