The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC's Vantage College: Canadians need not apply

Violator

The University of British Columbia is building an exclusive new college at a cost of more than $127 million, but Canadian students need not apply. The college will house only high-paying international students, most of them from China.

It may only be a big hole in the ground right now, but the Vantage College project has already angered many university students who say the money could have been better spent to improve student housing and limit tuition increases

"It's very disrespectful, said UBC student Aspen Dirk, "and a bit of a slap to the face."

Students say UBC is spending $127.5 million at a time when money is tight to build a stand-alone college complete with its own residential tower for 1,000 international students.

The website for the college, which targets wealthy overseas Asian students, promises "round the clock support," a "custom curriculum," and lower class sizes.

It allows students whose English-language test scores don't meet UBC's standards (but whose academic standards do) to enter a special first-year program designed just for them. If they complete the first-year program successfully, then they are able to continue into their second year at UBC.

Students will pay more than $50,000 a year for the privilege which includes tuition, accommodation and health care.

International students only

Even domestic students with English-as-a-second-language needs who can afford it, still aren't welcome.You can only apply to Vantage College if you are an international student, not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident," says the Vantage College website.

The Canadian Federation of Students says trying to make up funding shortfalls by building an elite college for wealthy students is backwards thinking.

"Vantage College is one instance of where the funding priorities are wrong and what we need to be doing is looking at where we're failing current and existing students and Canadians who are in the system right now," says spokesman Zachary Crispin.

While UBC pours money into Vantage College and its 1,000-room tower, it faces a student housing shortage with 5,200 people on the waiting list. Students are also looking at a 20 per cent increase in housing fees.

Next year's regular international students, whose fees are more than double those of domestic students, are facing a 10 per cent tuition fee increase.

UBC students worry about creation of elite class

UBC's student association worries Vantage College students will be living a segregated, privileged existence.

UBC Alma Mater Society vice-president Anne Kessler says students' big worry is the university may be creating an elite class of students who won't be fully integrated. (CBC)

"It really is a big worry that they're not going to be fully integrated and they're going to be separate and continue to be friends with each other, but maybe not the wider community," said Alma Mater Society vice-president Anne Kessler.

"I think there's kind of a sense that, what are these students doing here? Are they really going to be integrated into campus? Are they getting better services?"

UBC says it is building Vantage College to provide better support to students whose second language is English, but admits it can also use the revenue.

Angela Redish, the university's associate vice-president of enrolment, says Vantage College will help alleviate financial pressure on the university, which also benefits students.

"UBC is facing financial pressures as are public institutions across the continent, maybe across the globe, and this is one of the ways are trying to deal with that," she said.

UBC associate vice-president of enrolment, Angela Redish, says Vantage College is designed to better support international students whose second language is English (CBC)

But that still doesn't sit well with some students.

"UBC is becoming more and more an elitist school," says Dirk, "...the poor need not apply."

Even without a bricks-and-mortar building, there's already been an initial intake of 200 Vantage College students in September. Those students displaced a number of regular UBC students from existing campus housing as the Vantage College residential tower isn't ready yet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-s-vantage-college-canadians-need-not-apply-1.2826142?cmp=rss

Gotta love UBC.What a joke of a school the last bolded part is the best.

You need to know universities in general are totally consumed with their reputation. Real and imagined. As a cohort international students represent a profitable market. Catering to this constituency UBC is a good example of what is currently a concerted effort by Canadian schools to solicit a greater number of "foreign" students. In reality this is all about driving research dollars, reputation and status among their institutional peer group. Universities will use all sorts of language to describe their motivation. In a word it amounts to greed.

I've said it before in another thread and I will say it again, majority of the international students from China are like vermin to my dear school. Need a pesticide asap, but how the hell is that possible when they render the skill of speaking English useless?

School wants money, rich spoiled Chinese brats want to come here and party. Everyone else loses. Fuck these guys. This is why I am going to Baltimore for grad school.

I've said it before in another thread and I will say it again, majority of the international students from China are like vermin to my dear school. Need a pesticide asap, but how the hell is that possible when they render the skill of speaking English useless?

School wants money, rich spoiled Chinese brats want to come here and party. Everyone else loses. frack these guys. This is why I am going to Baltimore for grad school.

I am actually surprised you feel that way...

Here at Uvic the international students are spoiled, but they seem to be pretty smart at least some of the ones I have encountered.

School wants money, rich spoiled Chinese brats want to come here and party. Everyone else loses. frack these guys. This is why I am going to Baltimore for grad school.[/

Undergrad schools mean nothing. I really hope you're not basing your academic future on the demographics of said school, but rather on the credentials of the department you're joining. -shrugs-

I am actually surprised you feel that way...

Here at Uvic the international students are spoiled, but they seem to be pretty smart at least some of the ones I have encountered.

Chinese international students (particularly from the Mainland) have a notorious reputation of doctoring their transcripts to get in, and you can tell by their inability to say anything aside from "hello" in English. They are awfully segregated from the rest of the campus, with their own swanky student clubs and events. Majority don't bother to even mix in with the rest of their classmates in a 20 person discussion tutorial

I vividly remember in my first few years seeing rows upon rows of international students on their laptops in lecture in front of me either bidding on straight off the runway clothes or just online shopping during organic chemistry. Its understandable to have off days but when every single class you go to amounts to that, I just feel pity for the dead weight those people are to classroom environments.

Socially, they are probably the rudest as they will absolutely go out of their way to make sure their friend circles (even casual ones) are international students from China just like them. Of course, I should say that this isn't an "Asian" thing, most CBCs I know despise them too.

So yeah, in short they are vermin I want to squash

Undergrad schools mean nothing. I really hope you're not basing your academic future on the demographics of said school, but rather on the credentials of the department you're joining. -shrugs-

I totally agree, so I am enduring UBC as an undergrad in the process trying to network as much as I can within my department (which isn't shabby.
Demographics are relevant when you're looking at campus life (which UBC does not have), but the strength of certain departments academically does make it tolerable. The university in Baltimore I was referring to is Johns Hopkins, with credentials so good it could be Nanjing and I still would go :P

Chinese international students (particularly from the Mainland) have a notorious reputation of doctoring their transcripts to get in, and you can tell by their inability to say anything aside from "hello" in English. They are awfully segregated from the rest of the campus, with their own swanky student clubs and events. Majority don't bother to even mix in with the rest of their classmates in a 20 person discussion tutorial

I vividly remember in my first few years seeing rows upon rows of international students on their laptops in lecture in front of me either bidding on straight off the runway clothes or just online shopping during organic chemistry. Its understandable to have off days but when every single class you go to amounts to that, I just feel pity for the dead weight those people are to classroom environments.

Socially, they are probably the rudest as they will absolutely go out of their way to make sure their friend circles (even casual ones) are international students from China just like them. Of course, I should say that this isn't an "Asian" thing, most CBCs I know despise them too.

So yeah, in short they are vermin I want to squash

I totally agree, so I am enduring UBC as an undergrad in the process trying to network as much as I can within my department (which isn't shabby.

Demographics are relevant when you're looking at campus life (which UBC does not have), but the strength of certain departments academically does make it tolerable. The university in Baltimore I was referring to is Johns Hopkins, with credentials so good it could be Nanjing and I still would go :P

Haha - fair enough! Good luck to you. I hope it gives you everything you're looking for :)

Enjoy your own ignorance. B)

What does ignorance have to do with the reality of the future?

Am I being racist? Did I say something offense?

Simply pointing out the fact that if the current immigration trends continue, that is what we will be faced with.

Simply pointing out the fact that if the current immigration trends continue, that is what we will be faced with.

dude, take a look at your comment and tell me there's nothing wrong..

I think you know which one...

Or maybe i'll point it out to you jsut to move things along...

dude, take a look at your comment and tell me there's nothing wrong..

I think you know which one...

Yes I do.

Ridiculous how sensitive people are.

If you don't think what I said is accurate and you are OK with that then by all means call me ignorant.

Oh btw, this is coming from an immigrant, who came here at a young age with parents who busted their ass to learn the language and adapt to the culture.

You're basically using the same arguments racists and bigots used 50-100 years ago... The whole they're coming to replace our culture and language crap.

I highly doubt some Mandarin speakers will bring a new world order of change..

Archived