The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC's Vantage College: Canadians need not apply

Violator

I was something like 2000+ on the housing waiting list for my first year at UBC - this was before the huge mainland China immigration wave. The housing issue at UBC isn't due to international students. It's due to the lack of capacity, that's it.

The burgeoning wave of internationals is just making it seem worse and gives people an opportunity to lash out.

I will say I feel pretty fortunate to have missed the wave during my entire undergrad. Could not imagine what a UBC Science lecture is like these days.

I was something like 2000+ on the housing waiting list for my first year at UBC - this was before the huge mainland China immigration wave. The housing issue at UBC isn't due to international students. It's due to the lack of capacity, that's it.

The burgeoning wave of internationals is just making it seem worse and gives people an opportunity to lash out.

I will say I feel pretty fortunate to have missed the wave during my entire undergrad. Could not imagine what a UBC Science lecture is like these days.

the lower level lectures are atrocious (see my previous post), what's the funny is that these students keep away from going into specialized streams that require much smaller classroom sizes and input past a half-assed clicker question. Lower level biology courses were filled to the brim with fobs, right now I am in 300/400 level MICB courses with less than a hundred students and they are nowhere to be seen there.

They are terrible students for the most part. In my experience in first year chemistry labs, my entire bench spoke Mandarin fluently as they were international so my TA (who was also international) didn't bother giving instructions in English. In English discussion groups second year, I had to sit awkwardly watching someone edit their essay using google translate while everyone else joked around in Mandarin or Cantonese.

Bringing in international students is all about money. The article mentions how much international students pay for tuition. Theoretically that means domestic students pay less...I have plenty of doubts about whether that actually happens or not considering the massive amounts of bureaucracy in the university system.

Our parents have been paying for it for decades through taxes, the international students haven't been. Tuition is increasing for us too.

Our parents have been paying for it for decades through taxes, the international students haven't been. Tuition is increasing for us too.

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2014/bfp/2014_budget_and_fiscal_plan.pdf

Yeah. Check out "advanced education" - plan is to cut funding to Post-secondary by 41 million over the next few years. Also, cutting about 5000 seats.

the lower level lectures are atrocious (see my previous post), what's the funny is that these students keep away from going into specialized streams that require much smaller classroom sizes and input past a half-assed clicker question. Lower level biology courses were filled to the brim with fobs, right now I am in 300/400 level MICB courses with less than a hundred students and they are nowhere to be seen there.

They are terrible students for the most part. In my experience in first year chemistry labs, my entire bench spoke Mandarin fluently as they were international so my TA (who was also international) didn't bother giving instructions in English. In English discussion groups second year, I had to sit awkwardly watching someone edit their essay using google translate while everyone else joked around in Mandarin or Cantonese.

I kinda wish i can make it into ubc. Then me and you can speak english to each other. :towel:

Also, that didn't seem like a good way to run things. With the TA being also international and not speaking english. That's just odd...

Also by your description, it appears standards are dropping...

I kinda wish i can make it into ubc. Then me and you can speak english to each other. :towel:

Also, that didn't seem like a good way to run things. With the TA being also international and not speaking english. That's just odd...

Also by your description, it appears standards are dropping...

I had two TA's guilty of that in my first year bio and chem labs here at UVic. Both of them had thick accents and you could barely understand what they were saying... And just like FramingDragon mentioned would speak mandarin to other chinese students.

I actually wasn't too disappointed because she was very friendly and easy on marking..

I had two TA's guilty of that in my first year bio and chem labs here at UVic. Both of them had thick accents and you could barely understand what they were saying... And just like FramingDragon mentioned would speak mandarin to other chinese students.

I actually wasn't too disappointed because she was very friendly and easy on marking..

Well, i guess it all balances out lol

So, do you know how they hire these people?

Welcome to Hongcouver.

The white man/woman will be the visible minority within a few yrs if not already. Was at Metrotown food court the other day and I could count the whites I saw on one hand. And before anyone freaks out, Im just stating the obvious. Not making any judgment towards any race. It is what it is.

If I take the 41 bus beyond Oakridge eastbound, I'm often the only green vegetable left. :P

Welcome to Hongcouver.

The white man/woman will be the visible minority within a few yrs if not already. Was at Metrotown food court the other day and I could count the whites I saw on one hand. And before anyone freaks out, Im just stating the obvious. Not making any judgment towards any race. It is what it is.

My issue is not that they're Asian, its the refusal to integrate you so often see.

Why come to another country if you just want to turn it into the one you left?

oh God, they can't possibly be that bad...can they?

The final exam was oral, and was literally:

Pick an English movie. Summarize the plot and explain why you liked the movie.

That was the entire exam, done privately one on one. They had been given the damn question the previous week. Out of 40 students in the class in question, 5 didn't show. 10 more gave answers that were obviously plagiarized from online sources, and 5 responses were simply incoherent. This coming from a group of grade 12 equivalent students.

I've said it before in another thread and I will say it again, majority of the international students from China are like vermin to my dear school. Need a pesticide asap, but how the hell is that possible when they render the skill of speaking English useless?

School wants money, rich spoiled Chinese brats want to come here and party. Everyone else loses. frack these guys. This is why I am going to Baltimore for grad school.

Baltimore is a very random place to end up.

My issue is not that they're Asian, its the refusal to integrate you so often see.

Why come to another country if you just want to turn it into the one you left?

Most immigrants don't move with idea of mingling with others.. That's the least of their priorities.

It's more of living a life with better living standards etc.. for themselves and family.

Yeah and thats a stupid mentality.

Its your opinion. Its hard for a nonimmigrant person to understand the struggles of immigrants when everything is essentially given to you at birth no offense... When I mean everything I mean basic things like healthcare, education, food, etc..

My parents came here with $5 dollars and the clothes on their backs.. now we are pretty well off..

Its your opinion. Its hard for a nonimmigrant person to understand the struggles of immigrants when everything is essentially given to you at birth no offense... When I mean everything I mean basic things like healthcare, education, food, etc..

My parents came here with $5 dollars and the clothes on their backs.. now we are pretty well off..

You forget to add "Check your privilege" to the end of that.

It is a stupid mentality to immigrate somewhere with the intention of turning it into the place you left. Otherwise why leave?

You forget to add "Check your privilege" to the end of that.

It is a stupid mentality to immigrate somewhere with the intention of turning it into the place you left. Otherwise why leave?

I already explained why.. its up to you to decide if you want to understand my point or not..

I already explained why.. its up to you to decide if you want to understand my point or not..

And I'm saying its a stupid thing to do. Up to you to understand my point or not.

I'm not saying don't come here, I'm saying if you are try learning the language(s) for a start.

And I'm saying its a stupid thing to do. Up to you to understand my point or not.

I'm not saying don't come here, I'm saying if you are try learning the language(s) for a start.

Its easier said than done... Think of it this way do you think someone would have time to learn the language through teaching if they work 40+ hours a week 7 days a week? I dont think so..

While I do believe younger people who come here to study or live here should learn the language its not a universal statement that can apply to everyone.

Immigrants come from all walks of life and can be either really young like 1 years old to 80+ years old..

Its easier said than done... Think of it this way do you think someone would have time to learn the language through teaching if they work 40+ hours a week 7 days a week? I dont think so..

While I do believe younger people who come here whether to study or live here should learn the language its not a universal statement that can apply to everyone.

Immigrants come from all walks of life and can be either really young like 1 years old to 80 years old..

I can't help but feel you and I are arguing two different things.

Archived