The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC's Vantage College: Canadians need not apply

Violator

Its your opinion. Its hard for a nonimmigrant person to understand the struggles of immigrants when everything is essentially given to you at birth no offense... When I mean everything I mean basic things like healthcare, education, food, etc..

My parents came here with $5 dollars and the clothes on their backs.. now we are pretty well off..

You do understand that many of the people arriving here now are affluent and it's nothing much to do with escaping or finding something better. I believe some of your own posts describe that - that some don't plan on staying...that they're here to utilize resources then move on and have no desire to make this their home? So this is a different story than what you're now describing.

And no...there is no sense of entitlement or having been handed anything in my household...the people in my neighbourhood were of a modest living and worked very hard without many luxuries. This "poor immigrant" story you're telling isn't really what's happening. It's about rich kids arriving here to buy their way into school. Hard? Some have more at 19 years old than I have after working a lifetime. And no, not jealous...just let's keep it real.

You do understand that many of the people arriving here now are affluent and it's nothing much to do with escaping or finding something better. I believe some of your own posts describe that - that some don't plan on staying...that they're here to utilize resources then move on and have no desire to make this their home? So this is a different story than what you're now describing.

And no...there is no sense of entitlement or having been handed anything in my household...the people in my neighbourhood were of a modest living and worked very hard without many luxuries. This "poor immigrant" story you're telling isn't really what's happening. It's about rich kids arriving here to buy their way into school. Hard? Some have more at 19 years old than I have after working a lifetime. And no, not jealous...just let's keep it real.

I agree I was mentioning a story from 20 plus years ago. The stuff that goes on here now is wrong.. See above post regarding young people who come here to study.

I just assumed the other person I was debating with thought all immigrants have the same story/shtick when they arrive here.

It depends on the reason they are here right? We have to look at it on a case by case basis. I'm worried that people just clump them all together. However both drummer and bitter have legit points but they are arguing two different circumstances. If they come here under tough situations then maybe alls forgiven. But if its based on the scenerio of the article then we may have some discussions. Coming here to learn is fine whether they want to integrate is their choice. I myself is not great at making friends so i'm not the person to jump in. However i just don't like how the school is going the extra mile to get them here while forgetting that people here also want to get in.

"Transplants" basically ruined this city a long time ago already.

Believe me, what you experience now has little to do with the classic city of Vancouver.

Its not just exploitative, non assimilating immigrants that brought it down though, so many trash and misfits flooding in from the rest of Canada played a big part as well.

I do think we over do it on having to go to Universities.

Yeah I think its ridiculous that you're basically required to have a bachelors degree to even be considered for most half-decent jobs today. You don't even need it to do the work, its just a way to filter applicants. 50 years from now you're going to need a PhD for an entry level office job.

However if you're looking into some advanced field of study that is obviously far beyond whats taught in public school then University absolutely makes sense. Also if you're just interested in learning in a particular subject (the issue there is its hard to turn your History of Proboscis Monkey Art in the Renaissance Era degree into an actual job, so don't try to bank your future on it.)

Still, Post-Secondary education itself is a good thing. Its a great place for learning, self-discovery and meeting new people. The big problem with it is you have to pay out the ass to go there and everybody feels compelled to go because of some dumb societal expectation that "Its just what you do."

Yeah I think its ridiculous that you're basically required to have a bachelors degree to even be considered for most half-decent jobs today. You don't even need it to do the work, its just a way to filter applicants. 50 years from now you're going to need a PhD for an entry level office job.

However if you're looking into some advanced field of study that is obviously far beyond whats taught in public school then University absolutely makes sense. Also if you're just interested in learning in a particular subject (the issue there is its hard to turn your History of Proboscis Monkey Art in the Renaissance Era degree into an actual job, so don't try to bank your future on it.)

Still, Post-Secondary education itself is a good thing. Its a great place for learning, self-discovery and meeting new people. The big problem with it is you have to pay out the ass to go there and everybody feels compelled to go because of some dumb societal expectation that "Its just what you do."

I find it that they do it that way just to see if they can trust you. But i think in alot of cases, it's so overdone. I remember when my math tutor said that in order to program codes, math was needed. He said it was about trust. I'm not sure if the comparison is right bu even i felt the two subjects were completely different things.

I really like to see a culture change on that issue. Also to not always go to the most expensive school to brag to everyone. I rather people pick the right school.

I really like to see a culture change on that issue. Also to not always go to the most expensive school to brag to everyone. I rather people pick the right school.

I agree completely. A lot of the big expensive schools you don't even get a better education from, you're just student #364 taking notes in the lecture hall and the professor doesn't even know your name. You're basically paying several thousand more because the name on that piece of paper sounds more prestigious.

I agree completely. A lot of the big expensive schools you don't even get a better education from, you're just student #364 taking notes in the lecture hall and the professor doesn't even know your name. You're basically paying several thousand more because the name on that piece of paper sounds more prestigious.

And the facts and information aren't different in other places.

People still get crap for getting into UBC thru Langara. Even tho, when you eventually get your bachelors at UBC, no one could tell the difference.

People might hate me for this. Harvard,, totally overrated lol

And the facts and information aren't different in other places.

People still get crap for getting into UBC thru Langara. Even tho, when you eventually get your bachelors at UBC, no one could tell the difference.

People might hate me for this. Harvard,, totally overrated lol

Yup, some of the smartest people I graduated with came through Langara.

I read an article written by a retired professor from one of the Ivy League schools saying that a lot of the students that go through Ivy League are super maladjusted. They end up graduating feeling the pressure to be a certain way and act a certain way because they are Ivies. One quote described a student that would read the first and last chapters of books just so he can talk about them at parties and appear to be well-read.

Image is everything, except it's not.

Even prior to university, high schools miss the mark at times as they strive to be "the best", but it's only the bragging rights they become concerned with as they lose sight of the actual students' best interests. I know this firsthand...my kids went to what was touted as the best school in the area....personally, I think it's the worst. Sure, they had some of the best athletics, French Immersion program, etc. but they missed the mark with many students, who were dropping out because of it. That's not "the best" school to me, if they can't hone in on students and address needs. With this particular school, many of the kids who didn't fit their jock mold slipped through the cracks.

My daughter became depressed and stopped going to school...their response? To demand she take anti depressants in order to return! I pulled her out of that school, put her in another school that was compassionate and actually worked with her and she ended up on the honour roll in Grade 12. I know, first hand, how schools drop the ball when they strive to be and promote themselves as "the best" but that, in itself, is a bit of a warning sign. They should care that their students are "the best" (they can be), not that the school wears a badge.

Anyhow, the point in that is as part of the "image is everything" deal that churns out snobs and elitists, not necessarily the most well rounded students of learning. If these people will never contribute here, should that be the focus? Or should they ensure that the current students have a chance to excel and have that a priority before extending an arm outward?

This appears to miss the mark...if UBC is aiming toward "money" to decide who has access in order to cater to certain groups and it ends up being at the expense of other, local students? That demonstrates a lack of empathy and a school that could learn a few things. If there are funding shortfalls, waiting lists, increases and cutbacks - but they can fund this program? Something isn't adding up.

The "best" schools should be able to find a balance.

International students only

Students will pay more than $50,000 a year for the privilege which includes tuition, accommodation and health care.

Even domestic students with English-as-a-second-language needs who can afford it, still aren't welcome.

"You can only apply to Vantage College if you are an international student, not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident," says the Vantage College website.

Is this ^ not the very definition of discrimination? So this is the message being sent..."not welcome"? Sort of goes against the whole point of what this country is supposedly about.

Archived