The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC's Vantage College: Canadians need not apply

Violator

UBC really needs to either increase its standards for international students or apply them way more consistently. I'm pretty sure at least 90% of my group projects involved working with at least one international student. Some of them were great and others were just so incoherent and frustrating you just wanted to smash your head on the wall.

There was one in particular that for the sake of us all, I hope goes back home to work or preferably never practices anywhere. The thought of her working as an engineer in Canada is just terrifying. She somehow did not understand we were working together once and just handed me a finished report. I tried to check her model but her parameters seemed to have just been pulled out of thin air so I ended up redoing the whole thing. Pretty well every single other person I talked to ended up with roughly the same answer I got. Her setback distance was about half that length and had an insanely low factor of safety. If this had been an actual design that somehow was never properly checked and ended up getting built the slope almost certainly would have failed taking the house with it. She cheated a fair bit too. I watched her once literally copy an assignment from a picture on her phone.

• 1 year later...

Walked by Vantage the other day...that is one massive building complex. 

I read some time ago about how high school students in I believe Shenyang city in northern China, used foot tapping electronic morse code devices to communicate answers with each other during the gaokao exams. Can't remember the details but that's an interesting way to cheat. The pressure of the exams are very difficult and sucks the joy out of life, so to them, getting the grades is much more important than learning anything. But still, this kind of mindset is ingrained in them. Cheating like this is only one problem: bribery, sexual favours, and so on, all done before. These kinds of issues in schools of China are like fries at McDonald's, just ubiquitous. 

With regards to mainland Chinese international students, not all of them cheat but a lot do. I understand the university wants to make money but you are sacrificing your ethical standards by letting them in without proper testing. There's rampant cheating going on with these students, and in a big lecture hall its extremely blatant. 

Edit: I like to add that these kinds of problems extend to the workplace, and indeed, many facets of life over there. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 11:30 PM, RRypien37 said:

Yes I do.

Ridiculous how sensitive people are.

If you don't think what I said is accurate and you are OK with that then by all means call me ignorant.

Oh btw, this is coming from an immigrant, who came here at a young age with parents who busted their ass to learn the language and adapt to the culture.

That's the difference. Immigrants used to come to Canada because they wanted to start a new life in a new country. Thousands of Chinese immigrants came here and finished the railroad (with quite a few perishing during the construction, sadly), and were treated like second class citizens, to the point where they were disallowed entrance into VGH. Mount Saint Joseph's hospital was built to assist and treat the Chinese migrant.

These Chinese migrants, even though they were treated horribly, still made it their goal to be Canadian. They learned the language, and fully integrated themselves into the culture, helping form what it is today.

Sadly, this new influx of elitist defectors from China has zero interest in acclimating themselves to Canadian culture. Why would they when all three levels of government have essentially given them the green light to do whatever they please, with zero regard for how it affects the local society and culture? UBC is a money grubbing industry that has zero interest in the betterment of Canadian society. They (as a previous poster mentioned) are primarily concerned with their name, and selling their wares to the highest bidder.

On 4/27/2016 at 11:22 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

That's the difference. Immigrants used to come to Canada because they wanted to start a new life in a new country. Thousands of Chinese immigrants came here and finished the railroad (with quite a few perishing during the construction, sadly), and were treated like second class citizens, to the point where they were disallowed entrance into VGH. Mount Saint Joseph's hospital was built to assist and treat the Chinese migrant.

These Chinese migrants, even though they were treated horribly, still made it their goal to be Canadian. They learned the language, and fully integrated themselves into the culture, helping form what it is today.

Sadly, this new influx of elitist defectors from China has zero interest in acclimating themselves to Canadian culture. Why would they when all three levels of government have essentially given them the green light to do whatever they please, with zero regard for how it affects the local society and culture? UBC is a money grubbing industry that has zero interest in the betterment of Canadian society. They (as a previous poster mentioned) are primarily concerned with their name, and selling their wares to the highest bidder.

Great post. The thing is, if someone said the should acclimatize to Canadian culture, you would likely hear from the regressive left things like, "Oh and just what is Canadian culture supposed to be?" I'm curious how many countries celebrate multiculturalism? Do any Asian, Latin, or African nations do so?

39 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Great post. The thing is, if someone said the should acclimatize to Canadian culture, you would likely hear from the regressive left things like, "Oh and just what is Canadian culture supposed to be?" I'm curious how many countries celebrate multiculturalism? Do any Asian, Latin, or African nations do so?

Canadian culture is more of an idea. One thing that Canada has always had going for it, is that it is probably the most permissive country on the planet, where you can essentially come and do whatever the hell you want.

Great point on multiculturalism too. It seems to be a Western ideology more than an Eastern one. I'm thinking that the last thing any African nation wants to do is celebrate other cultures considering how many of those cultures (European in particular) have done horrific things to indigenous people in those nations for decades, if not centuries.

I wish Canada was stricter in who it allows to enter the country and become citizens. It would be great for Immigration Canada to ensure that an equal amount of people from various nations be given the chance to vie for entrance, and base it on their willingness to embrace the country, versus buy their way in.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Canadian culture is more of an idea. One thing that Canada has always had going for it, is that it is probably the most permissive country on the planet, where you can essentially come and do whatever the hell you want.

Great point on multiculturalism too. It seems to be a Western ideology more than an Eastern one. I'm thinking that the last thing any African nation wants to do is celebrate other cultures considering how many of those cultures (European in particular) have done horrific things to indigenous people in those nations for decades, if not centuries.

I wish Canada was stricter in who it allows to enter the country and become citizens. It would be great for Immigration Canada to ensure that an equal amount of people from various nations be given the chance to vie for entrance, and base it on their willingness to embrace the country, versus buy their way in.

Good points you made. England promotes multiculturalism. So, would that basically deem what is known as British culture, a dying thing? Or maybe all cultures should evolve with the times. Can you imagine the leader of China, being the child of an ex esl teacher from Phoenix who moved there in his 20s? Nahhh

On 11/7/2014 at 11:30 PM, RRypien37 said:

Yes I do.

Ridiculous how sensitive people are.

If you don't think what I said is accurate and you are OK with that then by all means call me ignorant.

Oh btw, this is coming from an immigrant, who came here at a young age with parents who busted their ass to learn the language and adapt to the culture.

Which is how is should be, current trends are a sad reality. Nothing wrong with bringing that to people's attention or voicing displeasure towards it.

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now this is a thread that is really interesting.  Do we care where our Canuck's players come from?  NO!  We just want the best.  

This is about money being used to house and facilitate people who are using money to come to Canada not to be Canadian but to use our facilities and resources to gain education while doing so with no need to learn and get accustom to being Canadian and learning OUR first language.

This is a problem and maybe that screams ignorance to some, but I don't have a good feeling knowing foreign people with money can buy their way into Canada to gain an education while at the same time putting out Canadian citizens in the process and disregarding our customs, way of life, language and so on. This is a slap in the face to those who have worked so hard to get an education and/or try to stay and live here.

Archived