The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nucks 2, Kesler 1

TheRussianRocket.

I think we have the potential to be close to or at the level of the Sharks and Ducks, but we aren't anywhere close to LA.

This. I feel like the Sharks and the Ducks are actually very similar teams with the Canucks. They are built with strong goaltending, defense by committee and run-and-gun offenses. All three teams have star forwards mixed with good depth players and some young guns. Any of these 3 teams could beat any other of them on any given night. I would give the goaltending edge to Vancouver. The Kings, however, are a different animal. They make plays quicker. They win puck battles. They get in lanes. They always seem to know where the puck is going to be and they get there first. They make short, crisp, high percentage passes (probably because the ice in LA is so terrible). They force turnovers practically every shift. They have possibly even better goaltending than the Canucks. Their depth players are so good they would probably be top 6 stars on 25 NHL teams. Linden Vey, our 1st line RW tonight, couldn't crack the Kings' roster. And most importantly, the Kings have Doughty. The importance of Doughty cannot be understated. Until the Canucks have that kind of impact defenseman, they will always be in a class below. That doesn't mean the Kings are unbeatable, or that the Canucks will have less success than the Kings. A lot can happen over a season. But it does significantly widen the gap in the odds of success.

Now, with that said, how about that game tonight? Couldn't have been scripted better. I'll be smiling for a few days because of this.

If anything, this road trip proved that we can at least compete with the Cali teams. Still don't think we're at Anaheim's, LA's, or SJ's level though... Miller basically won us the SJ game, the LA game was a total blow out and yes, the Ducks had quite a few injuries. Even WD said we weren't good enough.

I think we need some changes to our roster to actually be on equal terms with the big teams. When we compete it'll be respectable but as for winning consistently that's a different story. Or maybe our players just need to grow then maybe...

They practically didn't play the 3rd period and the OT.. How did they show they can be responsible in a tight game if they didn't play when the game got tight?

And yes, Hansen should be nowhere near the top 6 or the top PP unit. Jesus, that was atrocious.

The game wasn't tight in the 1st or 2nd?

Cant you see how they all HATE each other? What a cancer.

:frantic: I haven't seen the board over react to something like this since the Hodgson trade.

On a positive note:

I cant believe how good the Canucks are. I am shaking my head in disbelief. This is truly an awesome surprise. :towel:

very good game. If we play like this every night we will make the playoffs.

We took it to the Ducks at every inch of the ice tonight, they were good, but we matched the Ducks equally.

Sure they can say they didn't have Cory Perry. We were also missing our top line winger in Vrbatta, and our wrecking train in Kassian.

Good game. Good job Lack.

The game wasn't tight in the 1st or 2nd?

You saying the game was just as tight in the 1st and 2nd as the 3rd and OT? I've never seen anyone call it a tight 1st period at 0-0 or 2nd at 1-1.

It becomes almost sudden death in the 3rd and then things start to matter more as it gets harder to overcome a goal conceded - hence the game becomes tight.

very good game. If we play like this every night we will make the playoffs.

We took it to the Ducks at every inch of the ice tonight, they were good, but we matched the Ducks equally.

Sure they can say they didn't have Cory Perry. We were also missing our top line winger in Vrbatta, and our wrecking train in Kassian.

Good game. Good job Lack.

One can say that our missing players hurt us more. I feel they have better quality depth than we do. I"m going with that because we won lol

Archived