The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicki Minazi's new music video

GLASSJAW

I love Hip Hop and all forms of music but the stuff that is main stream now is just too robotic with no soul... guess i'm getting too old.

The only new things I've gotten in the last 2 or 3 years are LP's by Thundercat and Taylor McFerrin.

I'm more curious why you used proper capitalization in the original post, but not in any subsequent ones.

On topic, who cares? I don't feel affected by this, positively or negatively. If not for this thread I wouldn't even know of any whiny controversy. Unless it becomes a trend, you're doing more harm moaning than leaving it well alone.

/didn't even care to listen or watch, irrelevant unless you make it relevant.

Wait for his wrath...

of course it was, i don't think anyone is really saying otherwise, or that she's ACTUALLY a nazi sympathizer or something. i think the question is how far should 'we' let someone go before pushing them into cultural obscurity, a la mel gibson?

think about all the negative press Tarantino got from so many black figures/groups/scholars for Django, now imagine if he or a Jewish man were to make a video of self promotion that used KKK imagery? i imagine the backlash would be huge, and potentially really damaging

so where does that leave minaj? does she get a pass just because she's kind of a shock musician TRYING to drum up controversy? is it okay because she's black and has been marginalized like jews were? or is it too much to release a nazi themed video on kristallnacht? (lol)

Good point. I also remember how much it hurt Melancholia's success during Cannes when Lars von Trier said some Nazi sympathizing stuff.

I think as long as a celebrity does not explicitly applaud the Nazis for their actions, the public will be forgiving enough. Remember how Avril Lavigne had to take her "Hello Kitty" video down because of how offensive it was? Makes me wonder how this is any better than that video.

On topic, who cares? I don't feel affected by this, positively or negatively. If not for this thread I wouldn't even know of any whiny controversy. Unless it becomes a trend, you're doing more harm moaning than leaving it well alone.

If you read his post in direct reply to mine, he was referring to where the line should be drawn by the public response towards controversial videos, and why there's a seemingly asymmetrical response.

I'll bet you this would be outright banned if it was Taylor Swift in the music video.

Anyway, it's easy to close down discussion with your post but the event itself is a good stepping stone towards discussing larger ideas. Don't post if you don't have anything to contribute to it aside from how above cultural discourse you are.

Good point. I also remember how much it hurt Melancholia's success during Cannes when Lars von Trier said some Nazi sympathizing stuff.

I think as long as a celebrity does not explicitly applaud the Nazis for their actions, the public will be forgiving enough. Remember how Avril Lavigne had to take her "Hello Kitty" video down because of how offensive it was? Makes me wonder how this is any better than that video.

I dont know whats more sickening.. this crap music or you constantly agreeing with GJ and vice versa.

I miss those days of constant bickering..

Between J. Lo, Iggy and her, who's number 1?

I'd still go with JLo, but I'm biased because I like what's attached to it more as well.

To be fair to Glassjaw, I'll be serious for a second... I think she's being ridiculous and insensitive with the timing of this release. Will it sink her like a Mel Gibson anti-semetic rant? Nah. Will the music video flop? Hopefully.. but it may have happened even if it was her gyrating in skimpy clothing as usual.

Otherwise I wouldn't really care - doesn't she usually try and project a powerful, strong persona.. fascist imagery plays that up to the max. If this was released a few months from now would it even have been much of an issue, especially considering the "Hey, look at me" source? She's not promoting the ideology per se.. and many have used the imagery in art before.

Is it all that more disrespectful than stock "villains" in popcorn fiction always dressed like Nazi officers?

I'm more curious why you used proper capitalization in the original post, but not in any subsequent ones.

never been one to care about grammar on CDC, capitalization in particular seems pointless

to answer your question about 'who cares' though, well, the original post says that the 'whiny' ADL cares, for one. a lot of people seem to care. whether or not their caring is justifiable in your eyes is another issue. and not one i personally care to explicate

thank you for the anecdotes though

If you read his post in direct reply to mine, he was referring to where the line should be drawn by the public response towards controversial videos, and why there's a seemingly asymmetrical response.

I'll bet you this would be outright banned if it was Taylor Swift in the music video.

Anyway, it's easy to close down discussion with your post but the event itself is a good stepping stone towards discussing larger ideas. Don't post if you don't have anything to contribute to it aside from how above cultural discourse you are.

If only you read my post, I did state what I thought.

As for being above, what would glassjaw have to say if it didn't always at the very least open with that.

No one cares about Minaj lol Feat Drake , lil wayne and chris brown lmao ! Seriously what has happened to music ? How anyone can even stand to listen to the digital diarrhea that is Minaj is beyond me. The sad part is some actually consider Minaj, Drake Lil wayne artists. They dont even sing the computer sings for them.

As for the video ? Shock value still has the advertisers and record execs drooling. No one will care in 2 weeks about her or the video.

brought this to mind

Except that has a message and is actually good music.

There's no question it's a shock value video rather than them being Nazi supporters (I don't think they're particularly intelligent considering the language they use and the imagery they're supporting) since they surely aren't that level of stupid.

Archived