The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Moen for Gonchar

JohnLocke

This trade works and it doesn't work. Moen will be good in Dallas to give them some toughness in their bottom 6 which the Stars did not have a lot of. However Gonchar is far too old and while he has a bomb from the blue line Canadiens already have that in Subban.

Honestly, this just frees up the Habs to make another trade involving shipping out a blueliner.

You can never have enough solid offense from the back end and it isn't like Gonchar is entirely washed up, as well as being off the books at the end of the season for the Habs.

It's a sideways trade for various reasons right now as the Habs have more than enough pieces to deal later on and won't really miss Moen in the long run

I mentioned this in another thread.

Mathias for Gonchar would have been a somewhat logical trade for both teams?

We get someone with puck skills, albeit in another LHD. But for us we can sub in Jensen for Mathias. We have no one who quite does what Gonchar can. Not that he is better than Hamhuis or Edler. Could teach guys like Sbisa and Tanev how to skate with the puck...

They get a forward, which they needed as they have been using AHL callups. Mathias's speed and size would have looked good on their second line.

Right. Habs move a forward to get a defenceman and someone questions whether this had anything to do with Bouque being sent down to the AHL. So 2 forwards out and 1 d-man in...yup makes perfect sense as to why Bourque got sent down.

Bourque has a cap hit of $3.33M regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. He got sent down because he's playing brutal. Obviously Bergevin thinks the back end needs to be upgraded. Beaulieu is probably the odd man out.

That's incorrect. Montreal gets relief for the first $925K, so they still have $2.4M on their books with him in the minors.

The only concern for this with Montreal is the cap, but if it works, I'm ok with it. As has been said, Gonchar's off the books after this year.

Why Dallas does it is another question though. Not sure why they'd want him, unless they're looking to clear some cap, but then I thought they needed D. Perhaps they needed better D, or a different kind of help than Gonchar brings.

I mentioned this in another thread.

Mathias for Gonchar would have been a somewhat logical trade for both teams?

We get someone with puck skills, albeit in another LHD. But for us we can sub in Jensen for Mathias. We have no one who quite does what Gonchar can. Not that he is better than Hamhuis or Edler. Could teach guys like Sbisa and Tanev how to skate with the puck...

They get a forward, which they needed as they have been using AHL callups. Mathias's speed and size would have looked good on their second line.

Which is why it doesn't really work all that well. Unless he can play his off side I don't think it helps.

Their 3rd line of Moen - Nidermayer - Pahlsson was so good and key to them winning the cup. One of the best shutdown lines in recent memory

Ya... and I know the guy personally. You couldn't ask for a more character guy. You keep him on the team for the same reason you keep a guy like Malhotra on a team... he serves a useful role and he is one of the glue guys in a locker room.

He should have been made the Montreal captain this year, Gionta even suggested as much.

I hope Montreal doesn't get affected by a change to the team chemistry.

Gonchar hadn't played much in Dallas and may become a depth defenceman in Montreal-or perhaps a 3rd pairing guy.

He's really expensive for that use, but if one looks at the cap hit, Montreal could take it this year and it frees up a small amount-$1.85 million-for next year, when, according to some predictions I've seen in the press, there could be a real cap crunch around the league, largely resulting from the falling value of the Canadian dollar hurting revenues expressed in USD.

My guess is that Tinordi spends most of the rest of the season in the AHL, leaving Montreal with perhaps the oldest defence in the NHL. Weaver is 36 and Markov will be 36 next month, Gilbert will be 32 in January and Gonchar is 40, to go along with Subban and Emelin. I wonder what happens to Beaulieu, who wasn't looking too bad in his limited time with the Habs this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin has fielded calls from several general managers this morning with inquiries about Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Archived