The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 reasons why the Canucks should put in a claim for David Schlemko

TheRussianRocket.

Funny how everyone thought there was no way he'd clear.

If the guy's being dumped for a player who has 5 NHL games under his belt, there's clearly some issues there.

Gormley is a good prospect. So that alone doesn't mean Schlemko is a liability.

I'm surprised he cleared. Don't know what Edmonton is doing. (...what else is new?)

Gormley is a good prospect. So that alone doesn't mean Schlemko is a liability.

I'm surprised he cleared. Don't know what Edmonton is doing. (...what else is new?)

But is being a liability really the issue regarding clearing waivers? Doesn't he have to either show more future promise, or be enough of an upgrade in play, over a team's 7th defenceman (for some teams, 8th defenceman) to be worth a waiver claim? (That can be affected by a player's contract, but in Gormley's case his contract isn't a great impediment to a waiver claim-it's a touch high for a 7th defenceman but expires at the end of this season.)

Is Gormley a substantial upgrade over Weber? If so, he hasn't yet shown it in his play.

Is he someone with enough of an upside to take a gamble? I have no idea, other than that 29 general managers seem to have decided not.

Schlemko is a victim of Phoenix's organizational depth at D. They simply have to many good young defenceman that are ready to crack the lineup.

He would very easily be a bottom pair player on many teams in the league.

If he fell to us I would love to pick him up. Him and Weber as our 7/8 would be very solid and mean we'd be well equipped for when the injury bug eventually bites.

The plan is still to carry 14 forwards and 7 defensemen so we would have to waive Weber to keep to that plan.

Archived