The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Election: Mayor Re-Elected, Vision Loses Control of Park & School Board

DonLever

Did anyone notice that the combined votes of the 2nd and 3rd candidates EXCEED those of Mayor Robertson? In other words, there were more voters voting against him , than for him.

Robertson - 83, 529

Lapointe - 73, 443

Wong - 16,791.

The total for the 2 nearest challengers is 90,234. Yet Robertson only got 83,529!

Did anyone notice that the combined votes of the 2nd and 3rd candidates EXCEED those of Mayor Robertson? In other words, there were more voters voting against him , than for him.

Robertson - 83, 529

Lapointe - 73, 443

Wong - 16,791.

The total for the 2 nearest challengers is 90,234. Yet Robertson only got 83,529!

Sounds familiar...

Robertson - 83, 529

Lapointe - 73, 443

Wong - 16,791.

Yeah but it's not quite the same as, say, Harper winning a majority goverment with less than 50% of the votes. In that case, there was vote splitting between his main opponents (NDP, Liberals, Greens). In this case, the vote splitting was actually between Vision and COPE. In other words, if Wong didn't run, Robertson would have only increased his margin of victory.

To use the Federal analogy, I hope the Liberals or NDP win the next election, but if they do it'll surely be with less than 50% of the vote. Best case scenario the Conservatives still pick up 30% and the NDP and Liberals will probably be split 40/30.

A lot of countries have run-offs if one candidate doesn't achieve 50%. If that had happened Federally, Harper would have probably lost. But in Vancouver, Robertson would almost surely still win.

Yeah but it's not quite the same as, say, Harper winning a majority goverment with less than 50% of the votes. In that case, there was vote splitting between his main opponents (NDP, Liberals, Greens). In this case, the vote splitting was actually between Vision and COPE. In other words, if Wong didn't run, Robertson would have only increased his margin of victory.

To use the Federal analogy, I hope the Liberals or NDP win the next election, but if they do it'll surely be with less than 50% of the vote. Best case scenario the Conservatives still pick up 30% and the NDP and Liberals will probably be split 40/30.

A lot of countries have run-offs if one candidate doesn't achieve 50%. If that had happened Federally, Harper would have probably lost. But in Vancouver, Robertson would almost surely still win.

You seem to have miss my main point. I am not disputing the mechanics of the election like the splitting of the vote.

Gregor Robertson had 55% of the vote last time. This time he has 47%. He beat his nearest competitor last time by 19,000. This time he won by only 10,000 votes.

Also note, the control of the Park Board has gone to the NPA. And the School Board is split. So is it the great victory the supporters of Vision think it is?

So quit sugar coating the obvious. The majority of the people do not want him as mayor. Who knows, if there was a more well known candidate, the mayor would have lost.

Worst mayor's in the world don't get re-elected twice. Take your sour grapes home.

Is he perfect? of course not. But clearly he's a better option than the alternative according to the people three times in a row.

I did not say the world. I said Vancouver.

Put it another way, the voter turnout was 44% which is pretty good compared to previous years. He got 47% of the the people who voted, so in reality he got 20% of the total possible voter population. That meant 80% of the voters either don't like him, indifferent, or too lazy to get off their asses to vote. We get what we deserve.

I did not say the world. I said Vancouver.

Put it another way, the voter turnout was 44% which is pretty good compared to previous years. He got 47% of the the people who voted, so in reality he got 20% of the total possible voter population. That meant 80% of the voters either don't like him, indifferent, or too lazy to get off their asses to vote. We get what we deserve.

...or they didn't like the NPA platform either. Quit swinging numbers around to suit your wishes. Take a look throughout the Province, municipal elections never get voter turnout.

You seem to have miss my main point. I am not disputing the mechanics of the election like the splitting of the vote.

Gregor Robertson had 55% of the vote last time. This time he has 47%. He beat his nearest competitor last time by 19,000. This time he won by only 10,000 votes.

Also note, the control of the Park Board has gone to the NPA. And the School Board is split. So is it the great victory the supporters of Vision think it is?

So quit sugar coating the obvious. The majority of the people do not want him as mayor. Who knows, if there was a more well known candidate, the mayor would have lost.

No, that's my point. COPE didn't run a mayoral candidate in 2011. This time they did and she got over 16,000 votes. In polls, most people voting COPE said Vision was their 2nd choice. So do the math and you could even argue that Robertson did better this time, in the face of a new competitor on the left. Also in terms of raw votes he actually got more in 2014 than in 2011 (granted turnout was higher this year). But to your main point - "the majority of people do not want him for mayor" - well fine, then you can say the majority of people don't want anyone for mayor. They didn't want LaPointe and they certainly didn't want Wong. The majority of people also don't want Carr (the most popular councilor) on council, she got 10,000 less votes than Robertson. But guess what, that's what happens when you're running in a race with 50 people.

But on park and school boards I won't argue with you, Vision took a hit. I myself was happy to vote Robertson for mayor but voted for a mix of Green / Vision / NPA on the rest of the ballot.

You can't say Robertson did better in this election when his vote went up only 6524 (83,529 -77,000) compared to 2011.

On the other hand, the NPA candidate went up 15,291 (73,443 - 58,5290) compared to the last election. That is a big jump. Actually Lapointe had MORE votes than Robertson did in 2011. And that is for an unknown candidate no one has heard of.

You can't really say all of COPE's vote will go to Vision if they did not run a candidate. Maybe people upset at Robertson but can't stand the NPA may just sit it out and not vote at all.

Archived