The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 destinations for holidays

ginoWer

This is the first time in my life I'll be going somewhere during the winter holidays (kind of). My parents are going to Hawaii during my February reading break and will pay for me and my sister's accommodation. Maui babyyyyyyyy :D beyond excited.

So that's the only one on my list.

One day I plan on visiting Ireland, so I hope they aren't as bad as the English at smalltalk. I had more socializing in Paris, where their native language isn't English. Add onto that having a variety of things to do.. there are far better places in Europe, to me, than London.

One of my other sisters lives in London. Yet another one of my sisters toured Europe with her boyfriend before visiting her and despite having qualms with London (especially the air pollution; black snot sounds gross) she said that the Irish were the most plesant people she's ever met.

I prefer places that are more social (something I didn't appreciate as much when I was younger), not much of a sights person (i.e. in my trips to the USA I tend to avoid the Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rushmore, etc.), and honestly, London sucked. One day I plan on visiting Ireland, so I hope they aren't as bad as the English at smalltalk. I had more socializing in Paris, where their native language isn't English. Add onto that having a variety of things to do.. there are far better places in Europe, to me, than London.

Edit: Sensitivity is also probably an issue. Since my family comes from parts of Germany where people will walk up to you and tell you what they think about random things, it's no surprising my directness with people sometimes comes off as abrasive or intimidating.

Haha, yeah. The English definitely weren't too into small-talk, but to be fair, neither am I. You been to Scotland? One of my fondest memories was getting lost on the Isle of Arran and being invited in for tea and cookies by a nice Scottish couple while we waited for the bus to get there (the offer to drive our group of 8 travellers to the ferry terminal was also made in case the bus didn't work out). The only thing about Ireland and Scotland is that it takes a few days to get used to the accent =).

Top 5 places I have been to:

1) Budapest, Hungary: Was there for a week and honestly can't say I came close to experiencing all it had to offer. Was still one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life. Beautiful city, clean, delicious food, amazing nightlife. Didn't really realize how much I loved that place until I realized how often I was wishing I could go back. Will admit a lot of my experience had to do with where I stayed and the people I met.

2) Split, Croatia: Only downside to Split is the cost of food. Going out for a good meal was strangely pricey. Outside of that, everything is amazing. Great nightlife, great beaches, and a short bus ride to Krka National Park which may be home to some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

3) St. Lucia: Gorgeous beaches and scenery. Honestly the perfect island getaway.

4) Prague, Czech Republic. "Budapest light". Just one of those places that's amazing to walk around for a few hours to just take the scenery and architecture in. Food and nightlife were amazing as well.

5) Nice, France: Beautiful beaches, and just a really cool city to get lost in and walk around. Of course the food is also amazing. Plus you're just a train ride away from Monaco, where I sadly could never afford to stay, but it's definitely a place worth visiting for a day just to see how the preposterously rich live.

Honourable Mentions:

Munich, Germany

Barcelona, Spain (TBH I really didn't do anything there except of drink and go to the beach)

Antigua and Barbuda

Rome, Italy

St. Thomas, USVI

Maui, US (I mean, who doesn't love Hawaii)

Ah a German speaker (with German culture).

I've recently picked up the German fever. I'm starting to be able to understand/read words in a German sentence, but I know I have a long way to go in terms of growing vocabulary and grammar.

How well received would you be for trying to speak their language? I think my pronunciation is decent to spot-on, for the most part, but I can't roll my R's.

(sorry for derailing thread).

I know fluent German (mostly Hochdeutsch, some Bairisch), but in some areas of southern Germany standard German means little. I think Bairisch (Bavarian) has more similarity to English than standard Hochdeutsch (the high German written and spoken internationally), but if you were to try and speak Bairisch up North they'd probably get annoyed trying to understand you or tell you to speak higher German, which most Bavarians and Austrians who speak the dialect should know already.

Just an example of a comparison. I think the Bavarian here is a little exaggerated (must be the type of Bairisch closer to Austria), but it would help you in much of Austria and southern/southeastern Germany outside of the big cities:

As far as rolling R's, if you're in Canada I would suggest programming we have in German on TV like Deutsche-Welle (DW-TV) or ProSiebenSat1 (PROSAT), they have decent programming in German, as far as Canada and TV goes. All it takes is being around the language and repeating a lot to pick it up. (both stations use standard German)

Haha, yeah. The English definitely weren't too into small-talk, but to be fair, neither am I. You been to Scotland? One of my fondest memories was getting lost on the Isle of Arran and being invited in for tea and cookies by a nice Scottish couple while we waited for the bus to get there (the offer to drive our group of 8 travellers to the ferry terminal was also made in case the bus didn't work out). The only thing about Ireland and Scotland is that it takes a few days to get used to the accent =).

Have not been to Scotland. I think it's just from lack of interest (and the connection to England :lol: -- which pretty much rules out Wales again), which is probably a poor excuse. Honestly if we have the time and desire, I don't see why not at least try. Zero desire though to go back to England as a whole. Of the few things I like about England, I'm content admiring from afar.

I grew up spending every Christmas and Spring Break up at Whistler. I can't imagine going anywhere else during those times. Plus I spent the better part of a decade living out of a suitcase for work and pleasure so the travel bug died long ago. I even turned down a free trip to Hawaii in 2012.

If I had a bucket list, heli-skiing would be at or near the top but I can do that here. I'd like to see a big Great White shark up close as well.

I prefer places that are more social (something I didn't appreciate as much when I was younger), not much of a sights person (i.e. in my trips to the USA I tend to avoid the Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rushmore, etc.), and honestly, London sucked. One day I plan on visiting Ireland, so I hope they aren't as bad as the English at smalltalk. I had more socializing in Paris, where their native language isn't English. Add onto that having a variety of things to do.. there are far better places in Europe, to me, than London.

Edit: Sensitivity is also probably an issue. Since my family comes from parts of Germany where people will walk up to you and tell you what they think about random things, it's no surprising my directness with people sometimes comes off as abrasive or intimidating.

The Irish are known for having the 'the gift of the gab' small talk is not a problem for them. If you are single and looking Irish Women are very approachable as well. @nd best pub culture too of any place I've been, Halifax, NS comes first.

I grew up spending every Christmas and Spring Break up at Whistler. I can't imagine going anywhere else during those times. Plus I spent the better part of a decade living out of a suitcase for work and pleasure so the travel bug died long ago. I even turned down a free trip to Hawaii in 2012.

Next time you are offered a free trip to Hawaii you don't want come talk to me :) I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

not sure how this is different from the other travel threads, but paris is the best city on the planet

i guess that's my opinion, but i'm not really sure how anything else can compare

Paris is a mainstream and cliched favorite destination, even though I haven't been there. I'm surprised that you didn't pick a more obscure place.

I don't understand what makes "holiday" destinations different from usual travel destinations.

Mine would be Cairo, Rotterdam, Berlin, and Banff

I assume Cairo pre political turmoil?

I want to go to Germany and Holland with some stops in Paris, London, and Moscow. I hope to go soon once I graduate uni..

The whole free tution thing is really enticing me to spend a year in Germany to study/vacation, but finding a north american accedited uni has been difficult.

Archived