The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honda Accord AT

Bo.Horvat53

Hey guys. So my Honda Accord (1998), has about 250,000 km. When the engine is cold, and I first start it up in the morning, the transmission slips/jerks from first to second. It does this every time it's cold, and it's worse in winter temperatures. I usually warm the car up for about 5 mins before I drive.

The problem started out very minor about 6 months back, when it was just a little jerk, but no slipping, but now it really revs up and takes a second or two to shift into gear when I first start moving.

I know I would get the best advice from a mechanic, and I plan to take it to one soon, it's just that I would have to leave it there overnight so he can get a real understanding of the problem.

Anyone have similar issues with this generation of Honda Accords? Or know anything about the problem? Is my tranny slowly failing?

Thanks

I've only experienced this sort of thing with a manual (not an AT), and either a slipping clutch, or snapped cable shifter (the latter of which I experienced when I first met my wife, one cable snapped and I had to drive my car 50 miles in second gear, was not fun at all, and I wasn't gonna pay up the ass to get it towed back then). It was with a Dodge Neon too.

But even if it's a small issue like clogged pumps or needing a flush, driving the car and not serving it early on (i.e. first noticed the jerking.. jerking+slipping and for 6+ months is waiting far too long) is increasing the likelihood you're f***ing over your transmission and turning what is usually a minor problem into a serious one.

If they want to rebuild your auto tranny tell em to stuff it. Ive had that happen 3 times over the years and each time I just bought a used tranny for 1/4 the price and installed it myself. Got a Hanes manual? Can you follow instructions? Then you can remove/install a tranny. Yes, you will need some tools. If you have to buy em consider them an investment.

Hey guys. So my Honda Accord (1998), has about 250,000 km. When the engine is cold, and I first start it up in the morning, the transmission slips/jerks from first to second. It does this every time it's cold, and it's worse in winter temperatures. I usually warm the car up for about 5 mins before I drive.

The problem started out very minor about 6 months back, when it was just a little jerk, but no slipping, but now it really revs up and takes a second or two to shift into gear when I first start moving.

I know I would get the best advice from a mechanic, and I plan to take it to one soon, it's just that I would have to leave it there overnight so he can get a real understanding of the problem.

Anyone have similar issues with this generation of Honda Accords? Or know anything about the problem? Is my tranny slowly failing?

Thanks

Late 90's Honda's are well know for garbage transmissions. Is the car on it's first one?

sounds like a thrust bearing is wearing out. its probably not electronics related.

Automatics are good for about 150k miles(about your kms), after that its bonus time.

Considering the cost of a re-re, and the age of the car, id look to make sure its nice and warm(ha) and take it to a dealer to get you into a newer or lower km car, or driving as long into your bonus miles as you can till it dies.

I'd get the fluid and filter changed and some lucas anti slip. Drive it for a tank before judging, and if that doesn't work then Id sell while the vehicle's in running condition.

possible replacement? 1 retiree owner since new, garaged, low kms for age, fully loaded

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Accord/VICTORIA/British+Columbia/19_8445083_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_37

Looks like I'll have to sell it :( Had the car when I was a little kid, parents passed it down to me when I was of age to drive, so I guess I got emotionally attached :)

Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses. For those who asked, yes it's on the first tranny. I will give it to my mechanic as well and get his opinion.

Archived