The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Unfortunately for the Canucks there's a decent chance they play the Kings in the first round if they make it in.

There's a decent chance they play Anaheim too. THAT would be an entertaining series, and would give us a much better chance of getting past the first round.

But really at this point it's way too early to be calling playoff matchups

Close out big games? W0t? We're leading our division in wins first of all.

And here are games we closed out which where big games

- flames season opener

- St Louis in Miller's return

- Ovechkin game

- vs league leading habs

- arch rival sharks

- first ducks game

- and last night being down 2 0 the team responded.

We're once again part of the elite.

The only big games we've failed in was the King's game. The team was too focused on Anaheim and played unacceptably. Last night they competed hard on the tail end of a back to back with Burr and hamhuis out...

Elite to me means standing the test of time. We haven't even gone through one cycle of the NHL clubs. We've won games that we're supposed to have won (except Arizona, Dallas and arguably Colorado)...we stole one out of San Jose...stunk the joint out in LA, Dallas, Colorado, at home to Arizona...barely beat the Oilers three of four games that we beat 'em

We've shown great resilience and have found ways to win, especially through the brutal part of the schedule when we played 15 games in 26 days and played well against the teams you listed (except the Sharks). I'd rather have the Canucks doing what they're doing right now, rather than losing games that we deserve to win...winning is so much better than losing.

Team is going to get better systems-wise, so I think their defensive play will improve, but big question is, will it come at the cost of our current offensive output? If we can keep up our offense while tightening up the defence, then yes, I would say that we have a legit shot at being elite sooner than later...but til then, we're a good team aspiring to be an elite team.

Unfortunately for the Canucks there's a decent chance they play the Kings in the first round if they make it in.

Long ways away from that being a decent chance.

If the Canucks make it in, it could be anywhere from 1-8.

The way the Kings are going, they could be anywhere from 4-8.

The Kings have sucked in the last three regular seasons, but have proven they can turn it on in the playoffs. I'd expect them to place in their usual spot between 3rd-6th in the West.

It's funny how you claim someone else is sensitive about Kesler as you go on a diatribe about how unfair people were to him.

You're out to lunch. He asked to be traded and now plays for a different team. That's it. He's a Duck. No longer a Canuck. Those "years of service" are in the past. He got paid for them, so really fans owe him sweet frack all. Canucks fans cheer for the Canucks. Not the Ducks.

Oh, and paragraphs are your friend.

Haha, this isn't an English essay. All I wanted was to give a fair 100% cheering ovation for him, since it'd only last several seconds anyway. People who booed him during the ovation, which was the only unfair part I felt. Save that for the rest of the game (which he did get boos anyways). Obviously Canucks fans cheer for the Canucks, I was at the gaming being one of the many who chanted: "Go Canucks Go!" I even admitted I booed Kesler a little, but at least I didn't boo him during his ovation.

Tanev was brutal this game, not sure if it was because of the back to back games or the fact that he is playing more aggressive but (and you guys know I love him) his play of late has not been up to his usual quality. However, with that said I feel that developing a more aggressive offensive game is a step in the right direction for him and have faith that he will be a better version of his awesome self.

Edler actually has been surprising me of late, he seems to be going back to his pre-injury self and has steady improving. Perhaps if tanev and him could work together on tanev's offensive game they will become a 1st d pair that we always lacked.

Now onto the kesler stuff....

Kesler betrayed us. It's as simple as that. He not only demanded a trade but 'handicapped' the team. He gave Benning very little to work with as a result we may not have gotten the same value for him as we deserved. At the end of the day Kesler didn't give a crap about the canucks or canuck fans. He showed zero loyalty so why shouldn't we boo him every chance we get. Kesler is a trader!!!

But hey since you love him so much did you want to buy my autographed kesler jersey from me? I have little use for it now, it's practically worthless. I can't even tape his name out and put Vrbata's name on it.

Not to mention the minute we traded him we got an actual 2nd line. How many years was it all just the Ryan kesler show. How many wingers did we go through trying to find the perfect 'fit' to play with kesler?

Yes, kes is a great player (still one of my favs) and yes he gave us a lot of good memories but at the end of the day he bailed on us. So as a canuck fan we owe him nothing!

I already own a Kesler autographed Jersey, thanks for the offer though! :) I saw many people manage to tape his name out with Vrbrata's name, so maybe you can find those people to help you with it?

He did betray us, which is why I'm mad at him. I only hate him when we plays against him, but I will not hate him as a player.

Like I said, I just wanted to give him a full cheer for his short ovation. Then we can boo him all we want, which even I did a little.

Yes, I agree with your last 2 lines. Just felt we could've put the hatred aside for that several seconds of ovation for him.

Where did the the Canucks go in the 3rd/OT???

They completely disappeared!!! Was so freakin hard to watch. I

Totally agree...they sat back and tried to hold the lead...rarely does this work.

A good offence is a good defence

The weirdest thing happened after the game for me. I found myself for the first time ever, agreeing with something PJ Stock was saying. Why the heck would you pay tribute to someone who asked out?? As he stated do something when his career over, not the year after he demands a trade+ exercises his NTC to give Benning one option as a trade partner ( I know he gave 2, but with their cap issues, no way Chicago could make an offer). Good on all you fans who booed him and shame on all you who cheered. If a tribute was done when his career is over I'd cheer for the guy, but not this year!

I already own a Kesler autographed Jersey, thanks for the offer though! :) I saw many people manage to tape his name out with Vrbrata's name, so maybe you can find those people to help you with it?

He did betray us, which is why I'm mad at him. I only hate him when we plays against him, but I will not hate him as a player.

Like I said, I just wanted to give him a full cheer for his short ovation. Then we can boo him all we want, which even I did a little.

Yes, I agree with your last 2 lines. Just felt we could've put the hatred aside for that several seconds of ovation for him.

I have a Jersey my sister got me for my birthday in May of 2011. She was working with the Canucks and got Kesler to sign it. Hee signed Happy birthday ____(my name). I prized this jersey and, was a huge fan of Kesler. After what he did all I wanted to do was to be at that game and light the jersey on fire pre game. Unfortunatley I had to work up North on the day of the game and couldn't be there. Lets show him how we truly feel next time he comes to town. Lets have a Kesler Jersey burning party ( we'll have firefighters there, so don't get your panties in a knot!)

I have a Jersey my sister got me for my birthday in May of 2011. She was working with the Canucks and got Kesler to sign it. Hee signed Happy birthday ____(my name). I prized this jersey and, was a huge fan of Kesler. After what he did all I wanted to do was to be at that game and light the jersey on fire pre game. Unfortunatley I had to work up North on the day of the game and couldn't be there. Lets show him how we truly feel next time he comes to town. Lets have a Kesler Jersey burning party ( we'll have firefighters there, so don't get your panties in a knot!)

Hmmm...If you do choose to burn it, might as well remember to record a video to show everyone else who won't get to see it live!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I will never burn a Jersey with the Canucks logo on it. I like to wear my favourite team's jersey with pride no matter who's on my back. :) I could wear a hoodie with a zipper over it to just cover my back if I even wanted to, since the front is the most important thing to me on the jersey, but I won't cover anything. It's a waste of money to discard something I bought and worn for years in dedication and that's the only jersey I own other than a Team Canada one. Also, mine is signed in both the front and back when I went to his signings. It's very memorable to me and I've prized it ever since I bought it. I'm planning to prize it forever too, and it's mainly for the team I have in the front than the player on my back. I'd rather save my energy to cheer on for my team than to boo a player now, since I already booed him a bit in this game anyways. LOL Cheers! Maybe I'll see you at the next game where he comes to town again too. :)

Disagree.

In my book a player deciding that he wants a change of scenery after a decade does not negate the entire ten years of stellar service to the franchise.

I think that there is an element of the Canucks' fan base that wished people at the Rog would channel their collective energy into cheering for the Canucks, rather than booing the opposition. Especially someone who had given so much to the franchise.

I will grant you however, that judging by the comments in this thread and the GDT, it's a rather small element.

BTW: I think you and your fellows on the Boo brigade give yourselves far too much credit for "throwing him off his game". I give that credit to the Canucks' players.

+1. Agreed with everything you said.

Hmmm...If you do choose to burn it, might as well remember to record a video to show everyone else who won't get to see it live!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I will never burn a Jersey with the Canucks logo on it. I like to wear my favourite team's jersey with pride no matter who's on my back. :) I could wear a hoodie with a zipper over it to just cover my back if I even wanted to, since the front is the most important thing to me on the jersey, but I won't cover anything. It's a waste of money to discard something I bought and worn for years in dedication and that's the only jersey I own other than a Team Canada one. Also, mine is signed in both the front and back when I went to his signings. It's very memorable to me and I've prized it ever since I bought it. I'm planning to prize it forever too, and it's mainly for the team I have in the front than the player on my back. I'd rather save my energy to cheer on for my team than to boo a player now, since I already booed him a bit in this game anyways. LOL Cheers! Maybe I'll see you at the next game where he comes to town again too. :)

I'm burning Kesler's name and autograph. I obviously want to video it, just so that he hopefully see's it. I'll be wearing my Linden Jersey ( the man cried when he was traded from Van, and looked reborn when Burke brought him back!) I'll have my brother in law with me ( he's a firefighter) So I don't get arrested!

It's funny how you claim someone else is sensitive about Kesler as you go on a diatribe about how unfair people were to him.

You're out to lunch. He asked to be traded and now plays for a different team. That's it. He's a Duck. No longer a Canuck. Those "years of service" are in the past. He got paid for them, so really fans owe him sweet frack all. Canucks fans cheer for the Canucks. Not the Ducks.

Oh, and paragraphs are your friend.

Oh and I forgot to add in some more points that I wanted to mention. Watch out though because *GASP* I'm not going to make any paragraphs or correct my grammar here, so I hope you won't be too affected by my comment and tell my English teacher. The part where the screen showed "Welcome back Ryan!" doesn't say "Welcome back Ducks!", so why can't we all cheer for him at that time? You're actually the funny one. Every player gets paid for their "years of service", and yet the players who impacted a lot on the team get an ovation. By the way, booing him just means he means a lot to us so that's why you guys hate him so much for breaking our hearts, that he wouldn't go down with our team. When the fact that by booing him, you guys are actually admitting that our team needs him. You know what? I realized Bonino helped us get an actual stable 2nd line, there's no longer the "Ryan Kesler show" or needing to find players to fit with him. I feel that now we have some more potential into building a greater team than the last few seasons after the trade. So I wouldn't boo him so hard, since he might has helped us by leaving. I actually have no problems that people would boo him after the ovation. My only problem was that we wouldn't even give that several seconds as to appreciate only the good things he has done for our team. You guys can't erase the years he's been a Canuck. He is a Duck now, hate him all you want, but you guys wouldn't even let him know we acknowledged the memories he gave us. That 50/50 cheer-boo was implying that only 50% of the people in Rogers Arena thank him for his years for playing in our team. How brutal. He asked for a trade, yes, he thinks we suck, yes, he did many horrible things..But we can't even forget those things just for 10 seconds and clap for him? Way too sensitive. I'm mad at him too right now, but I'm not going to not thank him for the past. The most important thing is cheering for the Canucks but people are too busy booing Kesler than chanting: "Go Canucks Go!"

Archived