The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 Family Members killed on Dream Trip to Disney - Nice people making bad decisions.

Dazzle

My buddy is convinced because his dad survived a crash because he catapulted through the window and survived because he didn't wear his seatbelt

I am no expert on the subject but from my general hearings in the more violent accidents seat belts can become a hazard themselves and sometimes people who don't wear seat belts get lucky and getting thrown out of or elsewhere in the vehicle actually works out better for them. Still statistically wearing a seat belt is safer but obviously there is no way to give full safety predicting the various variety of accidents. I don't know if it is true or not but I went to High School with a girl who was ejected from her car and she said she was told her injuries were less severe/fatal because of it.

I am no expert on the subject but from my general hearings in the more violent accidents seat belts can become a hazard themselves and sometimes people who don't wear seat belts get lucky and getting thrown out of or elsewhere in the vehicle actually works out better for them. Still statistically wearing a seat belt is safer but obviously there is no way to give full safety predicting the various variety of accidents. I don't know if it is true or not but I went to High School with a girl who was ejected from her car and she said she was told her injuries were less severe/fatal because of it.

The one thing about this post that's correct is that you're no expert.

I don't get why the kid is being charged. It's not like he was intoxicated. It was an accident and his whole family died. This is a bit ridiculous

Agreed. It was irresponsible for a 16 year old to be driving in that situation, but he was likely just going along with his family. He's already going through unspeakable trauma and guilt and you add another hugely stressful situation on top of that? He should be getting help, not criminal charges. Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.

As for seatbelts, I'm sure there are situation where a person got lucky and survived a crash because he/she was not wearing a seatbelt. However, these situations are the exception, not the rule and you can't predict which type of accident you may have. It's more likely that a seatbelt will save your life, not kill you. Not wearing a seatbelt because there's a small chance it may kill you is like not leaving a war zone because the plane may crash on the way out.

falling asleep at the wheel and crashing instead of pulling over to rest is negligence, and in this case it lead to the deaths of 5 of his family members, odds are the charges will be dropped in court or the sentencing will be no jail time/fines due to what he's already experienced, but they are legally required to press charges.

Why would you embark on a 1700 mile journey at 8PM? Why would you allow an inexperienced youth drive at that time? His inexperience was the prime factor in this crash. Why no seat belts? I just I want to have sympathy but it's hard. Teachers should be smart people.

Im guessing booe cruise by the parents wonder if they will drug and alochol test them.

My friend is an idiot when it comes to some things this one is a bout middle in his stupidity meter.

Imagine if your friend flew out of the front window and they reason she hit had the accident was because of a tree and she was flung through the front window head first into the treee and her head was crushed.

Three kids without parents and one of them is the cause of the accident.

Sometimes this is a sad world... :sadno:

And PLEASE people, wear your seatbelts! Don't believe these stories that people will tell about how "My cousin's friend was in a rollover and they told him that if he was wearing a seatbelt, he would have been killed".

Seatbelts save lives. It's a fact.

Crazy story I have been in 2 roll overs, both times no seat belt and walked away. Although if i was wearing my belt I would not have suffered a sever concussion(that resulted in some temporary memory loss) or a completely blown out shoulder.

I always wear my belt but for some ridiculous reason these times i chose not too ? Lucky as hell if you ask me. The stats dont lie seat belts save lives.

Crazy story I have been in 2 roll overs, both times no seat belt and walked away. Although if i was wearing my belt I would not have suffered a sever concussion(that resulted in some temporary memory loss) or a completely blown out shoulder.

I always wear my belt but for some ridiculous reason these times i chose not too ? Lucky as hell if you ask me. The stats dont lie seat belts save lives.

I like how you bolded ALWAYS LOL....No you clearly do not ALWAYS wear your seatbelt....The farthest I go without buckling up is within a parking lot, and no further

Anyway, this wouldn't happen here...Couldn't drive legally with that many passengers with your L or N. This kid knew he was too damn tired to be driving. You don't just pass out without knowing you're DAMN TIRED. Who seriously let's a new, YOUNG driver be responsible for that many others in a motor vehicle? What stupidity!! I also love how the scumbag kid who was driving made sure he wore his seatbelt, but did not assure that the other children at least wore theirs. Interesting how the parents obviously didn't seem to care....

Why aren't they thinking the kid was texting at the wheel? He's a 16 year old kid. Have you seen a 16 year old kid lately? They're always on their phones. 3 hours into a roadtrip to Disney, my bet is he was looking at his phone when he realized he had veered into the oncoming lane.

Archived