The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks hire assistant goalie coach Eli Wilson

DeNiro

The Canucks have apparently hired Eli Wilson to assist Rollie the Goalie develop our young goalies.

This is great news because Wilson has a pretty good track record of developing young goalies, and will hopefully help guys like Eriksson and Markstrom reach the next level.

He worked with Brian Elliot when he was with the Sens, and runs a summer camp for goalies with the likes of Price, Thomas, Elliot, and Emery attending.

So happy that the Canucks are finally focusing on developing young goaltender talent, rather than signing whatever washed up vet we could like in the past.

The Canucks have apparently hired Eli Wilson to assist Rollie the Goalie develop our young goalies.

This is great news because Wilson has a pretty good track record of developing young goalies, and will hopefully help guys like Eriksson and Markstrom reach the next level.

He worked with Brian Elliot when he was with the Sens, and runs a summer camp for goalies with the likes of Price, Thomas, Elliot, and Emery attending.

So happy that the Canucks are finally focusing on developing young goaltender talent, rather than signing whatever washed up vet we could like in the past.

Thomas as in Crazy "Tiny Tim" not going to meet Obama Thomas? Him and Price in the same goalie camp... :shock:

Still waiting for a more official source, but News1130 is reporting it.

To add to this, apparently he is currently working with the Giants, and has a Desjardins and Rollie connection.

The team is denying the hiring, but they may just be waiting to make it official.

Why not move one combined with a forward as part of a package to get a quality d man this year before the deadline?

I was thinking at the draft to help move up in the 1st round. I would rather keep Markstrom in the AHL all season then move/call him up. He's playing well down there which benefits Utica a lot. They could have a Calder cup run with him on that team.

I was thinking at the draft to help move up in the 1st round. I would rather keep Markstrom in the AHL all season then move/call him up. He's playing well down there which benefits Utica a lot. They could have a Calder cup run with him on that team.

Guess we will see how the defence plays without Hamhuis. If the Canucks want to be contenders though they should be adding a piece at or before the deadline.

The forward group and goalies are decent the only concern is adding another quality d-man with NHL experience who is preferably a good puck mover and skater while not being a liability in his own zone.

I would trade Markstrom and Matthias to Buffalo if it meant Meszaros in return. I think surrounded by good players in the right environment he still can rediscover some of that potential he had as a first round pick.

He was playing well up to 3 years ago but has fallen off a little since. I think he would be a great fit in the Canucks system that encourages d-men to pinch and join the attack.

Plus you are not going to find a d with the same size as Meszaros who can also skate and be physical when necessary chip in offence and be a puck mover while being decent defensively. He is almost another Sbisa in that way.

Plus despite the fact he is left handed he is totally fine playing on his off right hand side.

They already have Dan Cloutier working with them in the minors. Does this mean he is leaving?

My guess is that either they want someone full time in Utica working with Eriksson and Markstrom, or Rollie wants more freedom to travel back and forth between Utica and Vancouver.

Still waiting for a more official source, but News1130 is reporting it.

To add to this, apparently he is currently working with the Giants, and has a Desjardins and Rollie connection.

The team is denying the hiring, but they may just be waiting to make it official.

I hope this is true because it would be a good hire and arguably make our (already very strong) goaltending coaching staff the envy of the league (or at least among the elite NHL staffs for netminders).

I saw a post yesterday in another site that was locked following Desjardins denying the rumour when questioned directly about it. Hopefully the club is just waiting to finalize certain legal and contractual matters before they make an official announcement.

I saw a post yesterday in another site that was locked following Desjardins denying the rumour when questioned directly about it. Hopefully the club is just waiting to finalize certain legal and contractual matters before they make an official announcement.

This is what I'm thinking. Otherwise it's a pretty random rumor for News1130 to pull out of thin air.

Wilson recently left the Giants too, so it kind of adds up.

On another note, Wilson has a picture of Price as his background on twitter. Clearly he thinks he must have had an impact in Price's development.

Rumors have it he came out with a beach ball to work with the goalies last practice when he was pulled aside and let go.

The beach ball joke was never funny to begin with and it's not getting funnier.

Despite his less than stellar playoff performances, Cloutier has been one of the Canucks best goalies in recent memory, prior to Luongo.

It's not a coincidence that when he was hired that our goaltending position was strengthened. It seems like he may be a better teacher and coach.

Assuming this news is accurate, this is what good teams do, continually look for ways to enhance the development of their players and prospects. An organization on the move is constantly searching for an edge to improve on their product and ultimate outcomes.

The beach ball joke was never funny to begin with and it's not getting funnier.

Despite his less than stellar playoff performances, Cloutier has been one of the Canucks best goalies in recent memory, prior to Luongo.

It's not a coincidence that when he was hired that our goaltending position was strengthened. It seems like he may be a better teacher and coach.

Agreed he has ( from the outside ) looked like a good goalie coach and looks to be doing a great job..... But the beach ball joke has always been funny, you need to lighten up.

Didn't Willie say that Canucks didn' hire him but he was just there giving some advice?

Not sure what advice he could give Rollie. I'm pretty sure Rollie has more experience.

We'll see if anything comes of it though. The fact that Wilson left the Giants, means you would think he's looking for another job.

Archived