The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sidney Crosby with his 800th career point

nowhereman

So would be Crosby playing with actual 1st line forwards, Crosby not missing a solid chunk of his prime to injuries...

Playing with Malkin and Letang on the pp helps a lot too.

West is simply different hockey and everyone knows it. Tight checking, better goaltending, better defense, physical, bigger players.

he's going to be 2nd only to Gretzky in all time points by the time he's done

(if he stays healthy)

Oh I doubt that...Mark Messier has 1887, that's another 1088 points Crosby needs, which means he'd have to keep putting up numbers at the same pace for over 10 more years...not hating, I just don't realistically see that happening.

6 years averaging 100 + 4 years averaging 80 equals an additional 900ish points.. bringing him to 1700 career points at the age of 37.

That would place him 9th all-time in front of Sakic. If he plays until he's 40 he could end up 4th all-time.

I'd say that's pretty realistic and quite the accomplishment.

The best way to tell how good Crosby is, look at the gaa and save percentage of the goalies then and today.

Smaller goalies, smaller equipment and nobody studied videos of their opponents etc.

however..........the equi[pment for skaters was equally antiquated. Sticks, skates, gloves etc etc. It's a level plying field all the way around. Imagine Gretz with todays equipment?

ya i dont think he will get more than 400 more points definately not passing jagr messier or 99. Not sure how people are comparing him to any of these superstars hes good but not anywhere near wayne or bobby

he's in his mid 20's and you don't think he's going to get more than 400 points? you could easily argue he hasn't even hit his prime yet

I would argue Crosby is right next to Gretsky. Much closer than you think.

Did a quick comparison:

These results are as of each player's highest points in a season.

Gretsky: 211 goals scored without him (215/426) 85-86

Crosby: 157 goals scored without him (120/277) 06-07

Although the eras are completely different.

This would be the best data I could come up with.

Gretsky's era scored 35% more than Crosby's when both star players were in their prime(At least so far for crosby)

Therefore multiply.35% point percentage to crosby's career and you get a fair comparison.

Best comparison:

Had they played in the same era:

Gretsky 1.92 points per game.

Crosby: 1.89 points per game.

Wow! Even I wasn't expecting that! :shock:

Nice comparison, just surprised that someone with the letter Z infront of their name, wasn't able to get that Z into Gretsky... ::D

I think he hit his prime early. I don't think he can improve any more then he already has. Unless he grows and/or bulks up for no reason.

he doesn't have to improve, just maintain for the next 6 years or so and he will exceed 400 points quite easily before he is mid 30's. I'd bet he's got at least 600 points left in him

he may get 400 points but doubtful he plays past 37 and i doubt he can keep up scoring 100 points a season for ten yrs putting him in ok numbers for a nhl player but far from jagr mess or 99 theres injuries and as you get older your scoring slows wayne had 8 yrs in a row with 40 plus goals then it was all down hill after that if you think hes gonna be 2 nd in all time scoring your delusional

One thing I will say, Crosby playing in the Western Conference would be a bit different story...

He would tear the Conference apart, just like he does the East. Take a look at Crosby's PPG against the West, before asserting that he would struggle.

Crosby plays the game like a grinder, plays a solid two-way game, and works his ass off every shift. His game actually suits the West.

ok there bud sure he would get destroyed in the west any time in playoffs he gets hit all he does is whine and players get him off his game. kings hawks sharks and ducks would eat him for breakfast and spit him out.

Fans here are delushional sidney will never come close to wayne all time record for points 99 has more goals in his career by 92 than crowby has points and 99 was known for assists more than goals. So basically he will need 21 injure free hundred point seasons sorry but players dont play professional hockey for 31 yrs 20 if really lucky

He would tear the Conference apart, just like he does the East. Take a look at Crosby's PPG against the West, before asserting that he would struggle.

Crosby plays the game like a grinder, plays a solid two-way game, and works his ass off every shift. His game actually suits the West.

Well said. He forechecks, backchecks, works the dirty areas as hard as anybody in the league. He's unbelievably skilled but he's not a soft perimeter player. He wouldn't slow down at all in the West...there's very little from Crosby's game to detract (aside from the yapping to the refs).

Jagr would have been already if he didn't bolt to the KHL and have to deal with lockouts three seasons each. 2000+ no problem.

yeah for sure, he's only 119 behind Messier and has played 261 less games. he'd easily be 2nd

the craziest thing with Jagr is that even with how good he is, he's played 8 more games than Gretzky and Gretzky has almost 1100 more points than he does lol.

Archived