The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hanzal destroys Erik Johnson

canucksfann

http://youtu.be/BNeGt6z2ewM

Sorry don't know how to put this up.

How was this not really looked at? Player in a vulnerable position, shot well on its way to the net, borderline blindside, leads with his elbow and extends through the hit.

You can say that Johnson put himself in the position but Hanzal wasn't even looking to stop the shot

Hmm it sucks because Johnson leans forward right before the point of contact while taking the shot. Of course they did look at it, but I guess didn't suspend for that reason. Tough call.

Agreed, super tough call. While this hit is likely viewed as incidental contact given the follow-through which caused Erik to be in this position, the initial point of contact remains most likely the head given how Erik was leaning in and Martin was leading with the elbows. I think given where the hit landed Martin should be suspended.

http://youtu.be/BNeGt6z2ewM

Sorry don't know how to put this up.

How was this not really looked at? Player in a vulnerable position, shot well on its way to the net, borderline blindside, leads with his elbow and extends through the hit.

You can say that Johnson put himself in the position but Hanzal wasn't even looking to stop the shot

It was a dirty hit, but "borderline blindside"? It was front to front, so nothing of the sort. Elbow to the head, definitely.

If Hansen can get suspended for what he did, any head contact should be suspended.

^Agreed. If Burr & Ferrence can get suspensions for hits to the head, by supposedly finishing their checks & not bailing soon-enough on a player in a vulnerable position, & if "reckless endangerment" is supposed to be a consideration as in the Kassian & Edler suspensions, where there was no real-intent to even make signifigant contact with an opposing player, then Hanzal should be suspended for this hit, too.

But,.. apparently, the 'Yotes are in the priveleged voting block pack, and Hanzal gets to keep using this controversial "Chara-defense"..which is that he's just too big & too tall to play safely around the heads of the average-sized player.

Good grief! Since when has being tall (as an NHLer) become some recognizable handicap by officials, that requires special considerations or allowances?! You hit a guy in the head, you should face the consequences of that. It's up to Hanzal to keep track of his 6'5" framed elbows, and not up to the other 690-1500 NHL-elligible players to watch-out for them or what height level to which they'll raise their heads. Dumb logic NHL! Why not try protecting the masses from the injuries they'll sustain when encountering these dangerously aggressive elbows when dealt...instead of this goon & his elbows from discipline, after making violent contact with players' ribs & noggins?

Hanzal's favorite method of trying-to-injure his opponents, also known as the "Messier elbow",.. is not being properly curbed in the least, and he's definitely lookin' more & more like one of those entitled bullies that this league likes to shield & favor, from time to time. It'll take an injury to a super-star player on an O-6 team or one of Burkie's Flames ,..before there's any discipline or action against the guy. Mark my words.

Like I've said before,..since when has being tall as an NHL-player become some recognizable handicap that requires special allowances. You hit a guy in the head, you face the consequences of that. Its up to Hanzal to keep track of his 6'5" framed elbows, and not up to the other 690-1500 NHL elligible players to watch-out for them or what height level to which they'll raise their heads. Dumb logic NHL. protect the masses from those aggressive elbows ,..not the goon's elbows from dammaging more players & their noggins.

Right?! And being 6'5" is only a few inches taller than most NHLers anyway, so it has nothing to do with anything.

It was a head hit. He made no attempt to play the puck nor to hit squarely through the body as proven by the line he took into the hit. Those exact facts have been used in other suspensions and there's no reason they weren't used here.

Johnson does lean forward while shooting and I'm all for telling players to watch out for their own safety and keep their head up, but if anyone deserves special allowances it's players shooting the freaking puck. That is what they're there for after all! They shouldn't have to worry about getting their head ripped off while shooting.

Plus, even if Johnson hadn't leaned down Hanzal was still targeting Johnson's head with his shoulder. He was clearly leaning in for the hit and yet given the angle of approach had no hope of significantly contacting anything other than his head. The fact that it ended up being his elbow that delivered the head hit is inconsequential. It was avoidable head contact and according to the rulebook deserves a suspension.

Should have had at least a phone hearing. He was gliding towards Johnson and had more than enough time to either try and lean forward to get his stick to deflect the shot or turn away from the hit or at least readjust his positioning to not deliver that big of a hit. He sees Johnson is ready to shoot once the puck is dropped, why finish your check when you know he'll be put in a vulnerable position?

I have to laugh at some of the comments on here.

If the same hit was delivered by a Canuck on a guy like Keith or Hanzal, many of you would be cheering/defending the hit.

It's a hard hit, and yes there was some high contact. However, aside from being an extremely hard hit it looks relatively clean.

If you don't like this hit, then I guess you don't like hitting in the NHL, because that was an awesome hit. Don't let your hatred of Hanzal cloud your perspective.

I want to keep hard hits in the NHL, let's stop the pussification of this league.

Should have had at least a phone hearing. He was gliding towards Johnson and had more than enough time to either try and lean forward to get his stick to deflect the shot or turn away from the hit or at least readjust his positioning to not deliver that big of a hit. He sees Johnson is ready to shoot once the puck is dropped, why finish your check when you know he'll be put in a vulnerable position?

Like another poster has already said here,..Hanzal should have this happen to him while he's shooting,.. and then have no penalty or suspension called. Afterwards, his wife bemoan the fact that's he's concussed & unable to enjoy fatherhood or any of the events of the holiday season & then worry about whether he'll ever see action as a healthy NHLer again, when he can't shake the headaches, dizziness, sleepnessness or irritability trying to get back onto the ice. Maybe then - he'll get it & re-coil the elbows & a little bit of his exuberance for putting players out of their line-ups.

Hits today should be all about gaining an advantage in positioning & eliminating scoring opportunities...or weakening a player's resolve thru intimidation or by exhausting his reserves of strength. But the lethal-ways of the Mark Messier & Scott Stevens glory years,..should be over & done. The days when winning meant having the best odds of more men standing at the bench, because the tactics of eliminating opponents thru' injury was so "high profile"...had far less honor in 'em if you ask me.

Playing the game the right way,..the way it should be taught from Pee-wee on up...also means respecting your fellow human beings. I really enjoy the high-calibre of play we see in IIHF tournaments, & I hope the NHL game continues to evolve more that way, too.

Archived