The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12 year old Portland boy is giving away free hugs - hugs police officer.

Dazzle

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/at-portlands-ferguson-protest-boy-hugs-officer/ar-BBg8igD

Canadian Press
Gosia Wozniacka

1 hour ago

At Portland's Ferguson protest, boy hugs officer

PORTLAND, Ore. — A touching photo of a white police officer hugging an African-American boy at a Portland protest this week has drawn heavy attention on social media.

The moment was captured by a photographer covering a protest in Portland, Oregon, over a Missouri grand jury's decision not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

At the Portland rally was 12-year-old Devonte Hart, who stood crying out of sadness over the events in Ferguson. He was holding a "Free Hugs" sign.

Portland Police Sgt. Bret Barnum saw the boy's sign and asked if he could have a hug. The boy gave him one.

Devonte's mom Jen Hart was there Tuesday and remembers the moment as "one of the most emotionally charged experiences I've had as a mother."

The rest of the article talks about Ferguson.

This boy does it right.

Attached pic taken from Grapefruit's post because picture from original article doesn't seem to work on here.

T4fI2J9.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/at-portlands-ferguson-protest-boy-hugs-officer/ar-BBg8igD

The rest of the article talks about Ferguson.

This boy does it right.

Thanks for sharing, Dazzle. That's some pretty powerful expression of the human spirit led by this young man...very inspiring. MLK would be extremely proud of Devonte Hart.

Thanks for sharing, Dazzle. That's some pretty powerful expression of the human spirit led by this young man...very inspiring. MLK would be extremely proud of Devonte Hart.

I think it would be a good day when race isn't played up like it should mean something controversial. A hug is a hug.

It's pretty whack when you open a thread involving police and you expect to hear something terrible happened.

LOL I know what you mean. But what exactly did you expect with my innocuous title? :o

The real news here is that he wasn't shot.

You need a shot of cheer the fuck up :)

That kid looks like a short 30 year old.

He did look a little weird, especially with his dress. What kind of a 12 yo dresses up like that?

But, I think his maturity is greater than all of us combined. That's why you two are cracking jokes and I'm posting this thread because I can't do anything better.

You need a shot of cheer the frack up :)

He did look a little weird, especially with his dress. What kind of a 12 yo dresses up like that?

But, I think his maturity is greater than all of us combined. That's why you two are cracking jokes and I'm posting this thread because I can't do anything better.

Give some one you do not know hug , I do this everynow and again after i saw the video i posted , costs nothing and makes you and someone else feel good , i tell the person i hug to pay it forward.

Give some one you do not know hug , I do this everynow and again after i saw the video i posted , costs nothing and makes you and someone else feel good , i tell the person i hug to pay it forward.

REAL men don't hug. The only acceptable physical contact between 2 real men outside of sports is a hand shake or the occasional pat on the back (but no eye contact!)

REAL men don't hug. The only acceptable physical contact between 2 real men outside of sports is a hand shake or the occasional pat on the back (but no eye contact!)

I heard that it's okay to make contact with each other's private parts in the dark, provided that there is no eye contact.

You really are Bhudda's hand : :D

Up until my mid twenties the only physical contact i had with another male was my fist hitting their face or theirs hitting mine , usually bikers or skinheads , thank frack i grew out of that.

Archived