The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think all Canuck's Fans owe a huge vote of thanks to Trevor Linden

*Buzzsaw*

I think the Aquilini's hired Linden as a PR move... thinking the team was going to tank.

Then when he got into the position, he convinced them the team could be re-tooled instead of blown up.

Plus, in my opinion, Linden's personal integrity which is a key selling point in aquiring Benning and Desjardins. Everyone around the league knows him from his work with the NHLPA, and they respect him for his level headed approach to business and honesty.

I'm pretty sure Trevor and Aqualini had many talks before Linden was hired. Trevor would not have taken the job if he didn't already have a plan and the approval/support of Aqualini to put it in place.

I agree that Trevor's character and reputation was a key factor in getting Benning and Desjardins to come here. It's part of what attracted Vrbata and will make Vancouver an attractive destination for other players as well. Gilli's drama and mis-handling of some players had made him and the organization a pariah. Good on Aqualini to recognize it and take the financial hit to rectify the problem. Katz could take a lesson from this.

where is all the people that said that hiring Linden was just a publicity stunt to get fans back, or that "he isn't ready"??

Well, it was.

You think Aquilini was sitting there watching his profits tank thinking, "Well hiring Trevor Linden as president of hockey operations will surely get this team back on track!"?

By that standard Lets thank the Aqualini's for hiring Linden.

... you can almost see the sweat dripping down the side of Linden's face ...

lindenaqulini.jpg

Everyone is talking about how inspired Benning's decisions have been.

Everyone is talking about how big a change Willie D's coaching style has been.

But the fact is, neither of these guys would be in place without Trevor making the the careful and thoughtful decision to go out and sign them.

Some may say these were obvious choices... but if that were the case, why didn't other teams sign them?

There were a lot of more highly ranked teams, whose prospects seemed brighter, and whose management options were greater... yet Trevor managed to convince Benning to join Vancouver.

All the signs pointed to Vancouver being a team on a slide into mediocrity... not exactly a selling point for a new NHL coach like Desjardins to make his name with... yet he still signed with Vancouver.

And once Trevor filled these two key positions, he then gave Benning the freedom to make the changes to the personel he felt were needed, and Desjardins the go ahead to employ the coaching methods he wanted.

Plus of course, Trevor was there in the way he has been for this team from the start... to provide quiet, honest and positive leadership, to create the atmosphere where the members of the team felt valued and worthy.

You'll notice throughout this, he has claimed no credit for the improvements, he never blows his own horn, he turns all of compliments of the media into compliments of the management and players he put into place.

And of course, before all this, he had to make the decision to let go those players and personel who were not going to move us forward.

This organization has had a 180 degree reversal in its direction of travel, and I feel credit has to go first and foremost to the guy who looked to have an almost impossible task... many thought he would be nothing more than a front man, a PR person who would preside over a declining team.

Far from the case.

Instead Trevor Linden has shown there are more dimensions to his personality than just the allstar, alltime favorite Captain of the Canucks... he is a builder in the true sense of the word.

So I take off my hat to Trevor Linden... once again, he has shown the quality of character he has.

I'll thank him when we win a cup. Until then we're no different to any of the good regular season teams of the past.

Trevor's aura of excellence is permeating throughout the organization, & trickling down into every nook & cranny.

Even here on CDC, I've noticed people are writing with an Hemingway-esque conciseness of thought, & Shakespearean style of prose(not tragic); applying a meticulous usage of grammar, which inspires nodding, reluctant approval, from the most brutally discerning of librarians, not to mention other aspiring grammarians. We're even learning NOT to start a new topic that's ALREADY been bandied about!

We owe it all to Trev!

Honestly we owe Gillis more of a thank you...

He was right about that Canucks needing a retool/reset.

Just he wasn't the man to do it.

I agree with this, But at the same time I don't think Gillis had full control of the decisions, You could tell in some of his later interviews how frustrated he was....I give him credit, but I feel like if he had the same freedom as Benning, He'd make the right calls. Hence why we haven't heard a peep from him after he was fired.

Honestly we owe Gillis more of a thank you...

He was right about that Canucks needing a retool/reset.

Just he wasn't the man to do it.

Umm no not really Gillis's idea of a retool was for players like dalpe and welsh. He had to numerous occasions to make big moves and fix this team but he waited way too long until he finally got fleeced in deals. After kesler Gillis was the real cancer for this hockey team.

Umm no not really Gillis's idea of a retool was for players like dalpe and welsh. He had to numerous occasions to make big moves and fix this team but he waited way too long until he finally got fleeced in deals. After kesler Gillis was the real cancer for this hockey team.

Whenever MG called them, I'd guess rival GM's acted like illegal street salesmen, when the Cops pulled up. I don't think the guy was allowed/accepted at the market; thus the change was timely & appropriate.

Everyone is talking about how inspired Benning's decisions have been.

Everyone is talking about how big a change Willie D's coaching style has been.

But the fact is, neither of these guys would be in place without Trevor making the the careful and thoughtful decision to go out and sign them.

Some may say these were obvious choices... but if that were the case, why didn't other teams sign them?

There were a lot of more highly ranked teams, whose prospects seemed brighter, and whose management options were greater... yet Trevor managed to convince Benning to join Vancouver.

All the signs pointed to Vancouver being a team on a slide into mediocrity... not exactly a selling point for a new NHL coach like Desjardins to make his name with... yet he still signed with Vancouver.

And once Trevor filled these two key positions, he then gave Benning the freedom to make the changes to the personel he felt were needed, and Desjardins the go ahead to employ the coaching methods he wanted.

Plus of course, Trevor was there in the way he has been for this team from the start... to provide quiet, honest and positive leadership, to create the atmosphere where the members of the team felt valued and worthy.

You'll notice throughout this, he has claimed no credit for the improvements, he never blows his own horn, he turns all of compliments of the media into compliments of the management and players he put into place.

And of course, before all this, he had to make the decision to let go those players and personel who were not going to move us forward.

This organization has had a 180 degree reversal in its direction of travel, and I feel credit has to go first and foremost to the guy who looked to have an almost impossible task... many thought he would be nothing more than a front man, a PR person who would preside over a declining team.

Far from the case.

Instead Trevor Linden has shown there are more dimensions to his personality than just the allstar, alltime favorite Captain of the Canucks... he is a builder in the true sense of the word.

So I take off my hat to Trevor Linden... once again, he has shown the quality of character he has.

Couldn't agree more. Trev has poured his life into this club for 25 years and now as the Pres is leading this team in a direction that will be victorious I think. Love the guy and everything he did. As should all of you love him. :)

Read that people think that keeping Bo up was a PR move. Drafting Virtanen was a PR move.

No. Hiring Linden was a PR move. I mean could it be much more PR than that? He had no experience at all.

But he seems to be on the right track. Good luck to him.

Archived