The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think all Canuck's Fans owe a huge vote of thanks to Trevor Linden

*Buzzsaw*

In a span of 8 months, we have seen Trevor's long time mentor, Pat Quinn go from being inducted into the Ring of Honour, to being mourned by the organization and the hockey world, and to being remembered in a very heartfelt tribute.

Thank goodness that Trevor got to oversee all of this.

The Big Irishman brought respectability to the Canucks franchise. Trevor, is going to give this very same franchise, greatness.

Honestly we owe Gillis more of a thank you...

He was right about that Canucks needing a retool/reset.

Just he wasn't the man to do it.

Put down the bong.

Gillis made some good moves, but made a lot a bad ones, especially his last few years. What you are basically saying is that Gillis admitted that the team needed a major retooling, and yet he wasn't man enough to do it himself. Hardly a compliment.

And almost every GM in the NHL will say his team needs a retool/reset to start a new season. Even Stanley Cup winning teams retool. That's not a great epiphany. Its standard practice. And really, is signing a goalie to a 12 year deal, and handing out NTC contracts like candy any way to set himself up for "retooling"?

Everyone is talking about how inspired Benning's decisions have been.

Everyone is talking about how big a change Willie D's coaching style has been.

But the fact is, neither of these guys would be in place without Trevor making the the careful and thoughtful decision to go out and sign them.

Some may say these were obvious choices... but if that were the case, why didn't other teams sign them?

There were a lot of more highly ranked teams, whose prospects seemed brighter, and whose management options were greater... yet Trevor managed to convince Benning to join Vancouver.

All the signs pointed to Vancouver being a team on a slide into mediocrity... not exactly a selling point for a new NHL coach like Desjardins to make his name with... yet he still signed with Vancouver.

And once Trevor filled these two key positions, he then gave Benning the freedom to make the changes to the personel he felt were needed, and Desjardins the go ahead to employ the coaching methods he wanted.

Plus of course, Trevor was there in the way he has been for this team from the start... to provide quiet, honest and positive leadership, to create the atmosphere where the members of the team felt valued and worthy.

You'll notice throughout this, he has claimed no credit for the improvements, he never blows his own horn, he turns all of compliments of the media into compliments of the management and players he put into place.

And of course, before all this, he had to make the decision to let go those players and personel who were not going to move us forward.

This organization has had a 180 degree reversal in its direction of travel, and I feel credit has to go first and foremost to the guy who looked to have an almost impossible task... many thought he would be nothing more than a front man, a PR person who would preside over a declining team.

Far from the case.

Instead Trevor Linden has shown there are more dimensions to his personality than just the allstar, alltime favorite Captain of the Canucks... he is a builder in the true sense of the word.

So I take off my hat to Trevor Linden... once again, he has shown the quality of character he has.

Good post but I never doubted him. I just thought we would be mediocre this year. Glad I was wrong... so far :P

Everyone is talking about how inspired Benning's decisions have been.

Everyone is talking about how big a change Willie D's coaching style has been.

But the fact is, neither of these guys would be in place without Trevor making the the careful and thoughtful decision to go out and sign them.

Some may say these were obvious choices... but if that were the case, why didn't other teams sign them?

There were a lot of more highly ranked teams, whose prospects seemed brighter, and whose management options were greater... yet Trevor managed to convince Benning to join Vancouver.

All the signs pointed to Vancouver being a team on a slide into mediocrity... not exactly a selling point for a new NHL coach like Desjardins to make his name with... yet he still signed with Vancouver.

And once Trevor filled these two key positions, he then gave Benning the freedom to make the changes to the personel he felt were needed, and Desjardins the go ahead to employ the coaching methods he wanted.

Plus of course, Trevor was there in the way he has been for this team from the start... to provide quiet, honest and positive leadership, to create the atmosphere where the members of the team felt valued and worthy.

You'll notice throughout this, he has claimed no credit for the improvements, he never blows his own horn, he turns all of compliments of the media into compliments of the management and players he put into place.

And of course, before all this, he had to make the decision to let go those players and personel who were not going to move us forward.

This organization has had a 180 degree reversal in its direction of travel, and I feel credit has to go first and foremost to the guy who looked to have an almost impossible task... many thought he would be nothing more than a front man, a PR person who would preside over a declining team.

Far from the case.

Instead Trevor Linden has shown there are more dimensions to his personality than just the allstar, alltime favorite Captain of the Canucks... he is a builder in the true sense of the word.

So I take off my hat to Trevor Linden... once again, he has shown the quality of character he has.

Well said...this is why his jersey is on the wall in the rec room.

It will be nice to see him win the prize...he has been always the brides maid.

His open, team first management style shows his confidence and fearless approach. He gives the team the vision and allows them to do their jobs in order to achieve the vision.

How do we owe Gillis more of a thank you? After the Sharks swept us his idea of a retool was to simply fire AV. If anything we owe the Aquilinis more of a thank you for recognizing Gillis' expiration date had come and for hiring Lord Linden

This isn't directly in answer to this quote, but sometimes failure is necessary to bring about a retooling. In this case, Canucks got higher 2014 draft picks and more freedom from expectations because of Canucks lack of success last year and Torts pointing out the core was too old and too stale.

Gillis did some good things after taking over the core that would take the Canucks within a game of the SC, but committing to players beyond their prime by giving away ntc like lemonade, trading assets for rentals and short-term players (Roy, Pahlsson) and errors in player evaluation (including several consecutive poor drafts) made it very likely that Canucks would have to suffer a serious decline before rising again. Last year was such a decline.

If that resulted in changes in management which are successful in creating a system in which the Canucks are consistently successful, then I s'pose Gillis Canucks benefit not only from what he did well, but for his mistakes which ultimately brought the management change. It's too early, of course, to know what the long-term success of the current management team will be-all we know is that they've been outstandingly successful over the very short term.

Read that people think that keeping Bo up was a PR move. Drafting Virtanen was a PR move.

No. Hiring Linden was a PR move. I mean could it be much more PR than that? He had no experience at all.

But he seems to be on the right track. Good luck to him.

He didn't have specific experience but his time spent as part of the NHLPA and the fact that he runs his own successful businesses likely qualify as some experience in running an organization.

My personal belief is that Linden and FA had plenty of time to talk shop as the Canucks imploded over a couple of years.

Benning would have been a candidate far longer than people can imagine and I would think that there would have been kicking of tires many months before MG was let go.

TL was FA's man.

TL then officially sourced JB.

JB facilitated WD.

Trevor was a cunning PR move and in large part he is symbolic.

However, it had to be Francesco that facilitated and created the entire chain of events.

@debluvscanucks excellent post. You hit the nail squarely on the head. Yes there were a lot of naysayers about Trevor and that it was a PR move. Well of course it was a PR move but one heck of a good PR move! Who the heck else should the Aquilinni's considered at the time? Trevor being the heart and soul of the team so many years I'd have hired him as well. Great with the media, fan friendly, positive, upbeat, all the traits required to do the job. And Benning is a good knowledgeable hockey man as well. Let's enjoy this ride Canuck fans.

Can't it be both a PR and a smart hockey move? There's no denying that season ticket holders were jumping ship like crazy, and the organization needed to do something quick to stop the bleeding. Trevor was a perfect fit. In a PR sense he is idolized around the city, and from the business side he's got experience both inside and outside of hockey.

From the day TL was drafted he's been all class-all leader- all of the time. He walked into the team as an 18 year old was the immediate team leader, unheard of in the NHL except for a few very special cases. The only concern I had was the potential for him to tarnish his legacy with the Canucks by inheriting the sinking ship we were last year but with a couple of (so far) hiring masterstrokes he's completely righted the ship. The reality for me though is even if the Canucks never win a Stanley cup under his stewardship, I would still give Trevor a huge thank you for bringing back a measure of class and respect to the franchise and for the class and respect he brought the jersey when he wore it. We are god-damn lucky as fans to have this guy attached to the team in any capacity.

Neither one of Benning or Linden are getting enough recognition around the league imo.

TSN would much rather talk for 15 minutes during a 30 minute segment of TSN That's Hockey about the Leafs preparing for a daring matchup against the Hurricanes, and talk about how Lupul's grandmother loves pickled herring.

Why do you watch TSN? They don't have hockey on anymore anyways.

Archived