The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think all Canuck's Fans owe a huge vote of thanks to Trevor Linden

*Buzzsaw*

I think we have one of the best front office's now in the NHL. Linden handles the media, and take the heat. Benning just gets the talent, and players we need. Willie gets the best he can out of them.

My concern is that players like Sbisa and Edler might be improving simply because, not of WD, but because of our assistant coach Doug Lidster. I think Doug will eventually take over the reins. My worry is some team like Edmonton, or Toronto will throw a ton of money at him, and he might jump at the chance.

Lidster I think has great head coach written all over him.

That's not something you can worry about now though. Usually that happens after 2-3 successful seasons or a long playoff run (like Stephens in LA). If losing Lidster is the price we have to pay for that, then so be it.

Sorry, but not even close. Sedin's were 100 point players, Kesler a Selke year and our Defence was one of , if not the best in the league.

I'm sorry, but you missed the part where he compared us to the 2011 "TEAM". The one that had 31 points in its first 25 games. We have 35.

I'm sorry, but you missed the part where he compared us to the 2011 "TEAM". The one that had 31 points in its first 25 games. We have 35.

You missed the part where he said: " (Our) Defence was one of , if not the best in the league."

Honestly we owe Gillis more of a thank you...

He was right about that Canucks needing a retool/reset.

Just he wasn't the man to do it.

Plus Gillis got us some quality prospects to draw on. We can also thank Kesler for asking for a trade. I don't think there are too many Canuck fans that would reverse that trade because the trade gave us a 2nd line centre who has a more complete game and a physical dman.

Plus Gillis got us some quality prospects to draw on. We can also thank Kesler for asking for a trade. I don't think there are too many Canuck fans that would reverse that trade because the trade gave us a 2nd line centre who has a more complete game and a physical dman.

...and McCann.

I think we have one of the best front office's now in the NHL. Linden handles the media, and take the heat. Benning just gets the talent, and players we need. Willie gets the best he can out of them.

My concern is that players like Sbisa and Edler might be improving simply because, not of WD, but because of our assistant coach Doug Lidster. I think Doug will eventually take over the reins. My worry is some team like Edmonton, or Toronto will throw a ton of money at him, and he might jump at the chance.

Lidster I think has great head coach written all over him.

[/quote

Agreed

I don't get the hate for Gillis. Quinn is revered and what did he do? Get us one game away from a cup. Gillis won two presidents trophies and got us within a game of the cup.

He is arguably the best general manager the team has ever had.

Yes, Benning has done well so far, but he's not even had a year, nor has he got this team to the playoffs yet. Benning has a long way to go before he's talked about being a successful general manager.

I'm going to wait and see how it goes. Again, last season the Canucks were flying high. Then it all fell apart. We'll see where the team is at the new year.

Quinn is revered and what did he do? Get us one game away from a cup. Gillis won two presidents trophies and got us within a game of the cup.

He is arguably the best general manager the team has ever had.

Quinn was our coach ,GM and President.

Quinn took his team to the playoffs each and every year.

Vancouver played in the same division as the Oilers and Flames,both Stanley Cup champions.

Quinn was put in charge and asked to help save a franchise from going under.

Gillis had the ability to spend to the cap maximum each and every year-with capologist Gilman by his side.

One GM is noted for bringing his players together and commanding respect.

That GM is the best GM this team has ever had.

"I wouldn't be the person I am today if it weren't for Pat. He was a great leader and always a teacher. He taught me how to be a professional on and off the ice. He taught me how to play hockey the right way, how to win, and about the importance of respect and loyalty.

Pat's impact on our city has been immeasurable. He was responsible for bringing hockey to the forefront in Vancouver. He brought the pride back to the Canucks and today his finger prints and impact are still felt within this organization.”

-Trevor Linden, President, Hockey Operations, Canucks Sports & Entertainment

I'll always remember Pat as a great leader. He built the Canucks teams that I cheered for as a fan and created a new generation of fans in our province. None of us will ever forget the Stanley Cup run in 1994 or how Pat led Canada to our first men's Olympic hockey gold in 50 years.

Pat meant a lot to our community. He built a new foundation for the Canucks franchise and was instrumental in helping Vancouver and the Province of British Columbia become one of the strongest hockey markets in the world."

-Francesco Aquilini, Chairman, Canucks Sports & Entertainment and Governor, NHL

"Mr. Griffiths (Canucks owner Frank) called me into his office my first week on the job (in 1987) and said, 'I don't want this business anymore, but no one will buy me out. I'm tired of losing money,' " Quinn said on Friday.
"That was my mandate. Don't lose money."

"I didn't go to the games because I didn't feel welcome (under former GM Mike Gillis's administration)," Quinn said. "It just didn't feel right. I think it will feel right now."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Quinn+might+have+saved+Canucks/10409461/story.html

Guest Cuporbust2

Lol. As a manager nucks fans Don't owe him anything yet. Bring playoffs and a cup , then He deserves this.

Been a good start to the season. That's it so far

@Ben Kenobi Gillis the best gm this team has ever had?!?! Lol! Now I know all he trolls will come out and 'flame' me so I'll include a visual perspective here for Gillis's moves while here. IMHO other than two good signings in Malholtra and Hamhuis he was a POOR GM! FAIL! Sorry. Unfortunately I'm a older fellow that isn't completely computer literate because I am attempting to copy and paste a few good articles here of all his poor boneheaded moves he did during his time here like bringing in a washed up Matts Sundin, etc. He never developed the teams 3rd or fourth lines, only brought in fillers like Raffe Torres types,etc. Research it for yourself. Most if not all the experts agree he was a poor gm! End of story

My personal belief is that Linden and FA had plenty of time to talk shop as the Canucks imploded over a couple of years.

Benning would have been a candidate far longer than people can imagine and I would think that there would have been kicking of tires many months before MG was let go.

TL was FA's man.

TL then officially sourced JB.

JB facilitated WD.

Trevor was a cunning PR move and in large part he is symbolic.

However, it had to be Francesco that facilitated and created the entire chain of events.

Yes! That just what I was thinking, FA must have had to be trying to get TL here for more than a few years already, that's probably why it happened so quickly when he was hired...just took one more phone call and a meeting..

Lol. As a manager nucks fans Don't owe him anything yet. Bring playoffs and a cup , then He deserves this.

Been a good start to the season. That's it so far

Appreciate a team that plays interesting and competitive hockey once again.

This team was dying last year, with players that didn't even enjoy the game anymore. Most fans were beginning to think the team needed a rebuild. Suddenly, this has become an exciting year in team development.

Linden convinced JB to join the team and the rest is history. Without Linden managing the media, I doubt Benning would have come to the 'overexposed situation' that is Vancouver hockey.

POs and (hopefully) a cup will come. A lot sooner than it would have been without TL and JB at the lead.

It was one of my best days when Trevor said he would hear Tortarello out and then said "Yeh, no thanks John"

I had a terrible fear he would drink Torts kool-aid and we would be stuck with that tantrum thrower for another season.

Trevor, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

As for bringing in JB, an instinctively astute move.

Willie however, was my idea :) as I was pumping his tyres long before anyone else mentioned him on here.

Sure, maybe hiring Linden was a PR move, but thus far it has worked out. Kudos to Linden for getting Benning and helping to get WD. It is easy to pick on Gillis, however something just felt wrong about the team. As for the Luongo trade, I wonder what Benning would have done if he had the Luongo trade to make. I say that because thus far Benning's trades and player assessments have been pretty freakin good.

Archived