The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DOPS - Glad they're consistent...

Psycho_Path

Add Martin's late hit of Ballard to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrSPwT84F4

Ballard got rid of the puck before Martin started the hit and looks to me to be over the 0.5 second the NHL supposedly uses as a standard for lateness. If Burrows got suspended for a late hit that resulted in head contact because the player stopped his forward momentum simultaneous with the hit, Martin should be suspended for a late hit resulting in head contact and serious injuries (concussion and multiple facial fractures) even though Ballard turned just before the hit. (Imagine how much worse it could have been if he hadn't. His neck could have easily been broken.)

Just to illustrate that Ballard's head did not change position just prior to or simultaneous with the hit:

martinhitballard.gif

Martin knew the height of Ballard's head, knew the puck was gone, and knew that he would be hitting him into the short boards in front of the benches. Despite all of that, Martin went for the hit anyway and and then leaped up into the hit, making it even worse. No way was that a clean hit and should have resulted in a suspension, at least according to the NHL's sometimes standards.

If Ballard had been on the other side of the hit I'd bet my rent money the NHL would have already suspended him for at least half a dozen games.

Add Martin's late hit of Ballard to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrSPwT84F4

Ballard got rid of the puck before Martin started the hit and looks to me to be over the 0.5 second the NHL supposedly uses as a standard for lateness. If Burrows got suspended for a late hit that resulted in head contact because the player stopped his forward momentum simultaneous with the hit, Martin should be suspended for a late hit resulting in head contact and serious injuries (concussion and multiple facial fractures) even though Ballard turned just before the hit. (Imagine how much worse it could have been if he hadn't. His neck could have easily been broken.)

Just to illustrate that Ballard's head did not change position just prior to or simultaneous with the hit:

martinhitballard.gif

Martin knew the height of Ballard's head, knew the puck was gone, and knew that he would be hitting him into the short boards in front of the benches. Despite all of that, Martin went for the hit anyway and and then leaped up into the hit, making it even worse. No way was that a clean hit and should have resulted in a suspension, at least according to the NHL's sometimes standards.

If Ballard had been on the other side of the hit I'd bet my rent money the NHL would have already suspended him for at least half a dozen games.

Please stop crusading.

Martin is a hitter. He basically leads the league in hits. You know when Martin is coming at you, he is going in for the hit. He was aiming straight into Ballard who is looking at him. Ballard sees him, turns away almost trying to run away and puts himself in an awkward spot and eats the dasher. How the heck is Martin supposed to stop the hit when just before contact, Ballard turtles? Ballard should have just taken the hit and he wouldn't be in the world of hurt he is in right now.

The only thing offside about this hit is that it is slightly late. You have to be off your rocker to think this was a targeted head hunt and you are really stretching it too by saying Martin left his feet to make the hit. It looks like he gained 1 inch of air space under his skates because Ballard dropped down so low that Martin almost went flying into the bench.

Please stop crusading.

Martin is a hitter. He basically leads the league in hits. You know when Martin is coming at you, he is going in for the hit. He was aiming straight into Ballard who is looking at him. Ballard sees him, turns away almost trying to run away and puts himself in an awkward spot and eats the dasher. How the heck is Martin supposed to stop the hit when just before contact, Ballard turtles? Ballard should have just taken the hit and he wouldn't be in the world of hurt he is in right now.

The only thing offside about this hit is that it is slightly late. You have to be off your rocker to think this was a targeted head hunt and you are really stretching it too by saying Martin left his feet to make the hit. It looks like he gained 1 inch of air space under his skates because Ballard dropped down so low that Martin almost went flying into the bench.

He actually does lead the league in hits. And? The rules are the same for everyone.

Ballard got rid of the puck BEFORE Martin even went in for the hit, meaning Ballard was no longer eligible to be hit. Martin had enough time to figure that out. It was late and therefore Martin has to be responsible for the result of hitting a player NOT eligible to be hit. You know, just like Burrows was when he was suspended.

And, as I illustrated with the gif in my previous message, though Ballard turns around he does NOT "turtle" as that would imply he lowered his body position. His body position did not change height, unlike Martin's when he leaped upward to target the head. If anything, Ballard very likely made the hit less dangerous. Had Martin continued the hit and Ballard had not turned around, he would have likely been driven into the boards backwards, hitting the back of his head and neck likely resulting in not only resulting in a concussion but also possibly a very severe neck injury. So, your supposition that Ballard caused his "world of hurt" is bogus.

You're seeing the things you want to see if you think we can see the bottom of Martin's skates, including his full blades, because, "Ballard dropped down so low that Martin almost went flying into the bench." Ballard didn't lower the position of his head and Martin clearly leaped INTO the hit, he wasn't passively pushed upward by Ballard's body position. The position disparity is not significant enough to cause him to launch upward like that, especially not that early into the hit. And Ballard's position ONLY drops lower once Martin is pushing him forward into the boards.

Perhaps viewing it from another angle will make it more clear:

martinhitballard2.gif

As we can see, Martin's body position was at Ballard's level when he came in for the hit but then lifted up and leaped into the hit as it continued while Ballard's position did NOT change height until his head was forcibly shoved into the boards.

It was a dangerous hit in a dangerous area on the ice. And someone as experienced at hitting as Martin should have known that and been able to avoid it!

He actually does lead the league in hits. And? The rules are the same for everyone.

Ballard got rid of the puck BEFORE Martin even went in for the hit, meaning Ballard was no longer eligible to be hit. Martin had enough time to figure that out. It was late and therefore Martin has to be responsible for the result of hitting a player NOT eligible to be hit. You know, just like Burrows was when he was suspended.

And, as I illustrated with the gif in my previous message, though Ballard turns around he does NOT "turtle" as that would imply he lowered his body position. His body position did not change height, unlike Martin's when he leaped upward to target the head. If anything, Ballard very likely made the hit less dangerous. Had Martin continued the hit and Ballard had not turned around, he would have likely been driven into the boards backwards, hitting the back of his head and neck likely resulting in not only resulting in a concussion but also possibly a very severe neck injury. So, your supposition that Ballard caused his "world of hurt" is bogus.

You're seeing the things you want to see if you think we can see the bottom of Martin's skates, including his full blades, because, "Ballard dropped down so low that Martin almost went flying into the bench." Ballard didn't lower the position of his head and Martin clearly leaped INTO the hit, he wasn't passively pushed upward by Ballard's body position. The position disparity is not significant enough to cause him to launch upward like that, especially not that early into the hit. And Ballard's position ONLY drops lower once Martin is pushing him forward into the boards.

martinhitballard2.gif

As we can see, Martin's body position was at Ballard's level when he came in for the hit but then lifted up and leaped into the hit as it continued while Ballard's position did NOT change height until his head was forcibly shoved into the boards.

It was a dangerous hit in a dangerous area on the ice. And someone as experienced at hitting as Martin should have known that and been able to avoid it!

Excellent retort. Well said.

Fact is that the NHL couldn't give a tuppany fuck about the players welfare, as long as revenues are good. This league is pathetically behind the curve regarding player safety.

If they gave a shit at all, the calls would be consistent and the suspensions would be far more severe. This would actually be effective in sending an actual message to the players. Oh and players making more than $6 M per year wouldn't be exempt. And really to do that the Department of Player Safety would have to be run by a completely independent third party rather than by over the hill players with thinly veiled loyalties.

But as it is, the Department of Player Safety is a joke and completely ineffective in delivering it's mandate. And the injuries will continue to mount. With the completely random selection process intact.

Please stop crusading.

100% agree! Ballard put himself in a horrible position. Its unfortunate that he was injured as bad as he was, but there wasnt much blame to be put on Martin, he went in for a normal check. I have no idea what Ballard was doing turning into the boards and ducking at the same time, players are taught not to do that at the peewee level.

Like i said, its unfortunate Ballard was hurt and i hope he recovers soon...but i dont think Martin deserved disciplinary punishment for it.

martinhitballard2.gif

from: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/285431681.html

As you know by now, Matt Martin won’t be suspended. The league felt that when Ballard turned to avoid the hit, he put himself in a vulnerable position and that directly contributed to the incident and subsequent injury.

As you know by now, Matt Martin won’t be suspended. The league felt that when Ballard turned to avoid the hit, he put himself in a vulnerable position and that directly contributed to the incident and subsequent injury.

I assumed that was their reasoning. I just disagree. It was still a late and dangerous hit that resulted in serious injuries. The fact that Ballard simply turned around (but did not lower his body position in any way) in no way contributed to the severity of the hit. It does, however, provide a convenient excuse for the conclusion the NHL obviously wanted to come to.

Where does this outside party come from and who pays their salaries?

I've said for years that the DoPS needs to employ kinesiology experts. Given their expertise in human movement, including evaluating and training elite athletes as well as workplace health and safety, I think they could easily be trained to apply their knowledge to determining the facts of hockey hits (e.g. how long does it take for a person to abort a hit once factors change, could head contact have been avoided, etc.) and hand out appropriate punishment based on those facts rather than names or logos.

And the NHL would pay them. Obviously. The problem isn't as much that the NHL pays the DoPS as it is that the people they hire have previous affiliations with individual teams that may then get preferential treatment, especially when so few teams are represented in the DoPS.

Here's what I don't get....if they want to reduce the risk of serious injury to players, this fails to do so. It shouldn't matter "how or why", just that something DID happen. He drove him into the boards and how about considering that he WAS in a vulnerable position from the standpoint of the guy doling the hit, not just the one at the receiving end of it? Should that not be addressed? They want to pin it on the guy being hit but how about when you're in close to the boards and a guy is "lined up" you make sure first before following through? I don't like that the person who is plowed into the boards is somehow deemed fully responsible for that.

But that's the NHL for you....doing just enough to say they're trying without really trying.

Archived