The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Self leveling concrete questions :)

kdub69

Has anyone have any experience with self leveling concrete? Best place to buy it and cheapest place? I will be laying it down on my basement floor which is concrete and has some stress cracks i heard redgard is good for that. I will be laying down tiles

Has anyone have any experience with self leveling concrete? Best place to buy it and cheapest place? I will be laying it down on my basement floor which is concrete and has some stress cracks i heard redgard is good for that. I will be laying down tiles

No experience with it but a comment/concern. If you just seal up the existing crack with new concrete, you aren't stopping the stress cracks from growing. If you go to the expense of levelling it and laying new tile but in a year from now the stress cracks grow underneath, you might ruin the new tile. Maybe I am way off base but this is something that would concern me. You might want a professional opinion. Obviously you are trying to go the cheapest route but it might be worth looking into.

Any flooring place should have it. Or Home Depot or whatever. Just go in and ask.

Not sure why you would want ice cold tile on the floor.

If you have a floating floor (laminate etc.) with an underlay odds are you will be fine. The floor with expand and contract with the basement as temperature changes.

But of course, you can actually ask some people that know what they are doing....

No experience with it but a comment/concern. If you just seal up the existing crack with new concrete, you aren't stopping the stress cracks from growing. If you go to the expense of levelling it and laying new tile but in a year from now the stress cracks grow underneath, you might ruin the new tile. Maybe I am way off base but this is something that would concern me. You might want a professional opinion. Obviously you are trying to go the cheapest route but it might be worth looking into.

I'm by no means an expert but that's exactly what will happen.

Even with a stable floor that isn't getting stress cracks you'll have movement and eventual cracking grout/tile issues unless you use something like the Schluter Ditra system:

DITRA_1_4.jpg

OP, I hope you're not just trying to cover something up for a quick sale or the like.

I've done a bit of work with this stuff. As RonM said, pouring concrete over concrete that has cracks might not stop the cracks from getting bigger.

My advice would be to chip away around the cracks until you get to where they end. There is a product called "Quick Plug" (hydraulic cement) which is designed to seal up these kinds of cracks. Once you have all of the cracks sealed up, then you can pour the self leveling concrete over top.

You should be able to find both products at any Hardware outlet.

Further to what ronthecivil said, tiles over concrete are going to be cold and might easily crack. You might want to consider laying down some kind of sub-floor before laying the tiles. This is the stuff that one would normally use:

CeramicWEB1.jpg

Again, this is available at Home Depot, or wherever...

Edit: and just as I post the pic, I see that JR has already done so...

I would heavily recommend a membrane like Ditra that others have recommended. Stress fractures on basement floors are almost a guarantee due to temperature fluctuation (expansion/contraction) and movement to some degree will probably continue to occur.

If your goal is to cover the stress fracture for good, there is a new concrete product called Elephant Armor that is made for the purpose of providing a top coat but also providing huge flexibility that prevents cracks from deflecting through the top coat. I saw a demonstration of it at a supplier I use...pretty amazing stuff. Though, it probably comes at a pretty amazing cost too! I'm on my phone so too much of a hassle to post a clip but google away.

Archived