The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver 'Bedroom' Is $630/Month For Your Own Curtained-Off Space

freebuddy

Vancouver 'Bedroom' Is $630/Month For Your Own Curtained-Off Space

Sara Harowitz The Huffington Post

B.C. 12/02/14 03:05 PM ET

How would you like to rent your very own corner of an apartment living room? Does that sound appealing, or what? Especially when you consider the price: a slick $630 per month.

We'll give you a moment to compose yourself.

Ready?

'I'm renting a private space in the living room," reads a Vancouver ad, posted to Craigslist on Sunday and titled "PRIVATE SPACE , GREAT APARTMENT." And really, the pictures say it all:

o-VANCOUVER-CRAIGSLIST-AD-570.jpg?16

vancouver craigslist ad

o-VANCOUVER-CRAIGSLIST-AD-570.jpg?16

vancouver craigslist ad

Let's go over those details one more time: A mattress. In the corner of a living room. Sectioned off with some curtains. For $630 per month.

Located close to a SkyTrain station and Rogers Arena, the downtown apartment is brand new and features a gym, Jacuzzi, pool, and laundry facilities, according to the ad. It states that the space is a "great place and opportunity."

And this fad of renting small spaces to cut down on living costs is sadly not new or unusual in Vancouver.

Here are some doozies we wrote about in March. An unfurnished "den" (read: closet) was being advertised for $600 per month. A similar-looking space was listed for $430 per month ("dish soap, salt, pepper, canola oil, olive oil, sriracha sauce" were included though), while a 100 sq.-ft. rental was going for $570 per month (complete with sink and mini fridge).

Despite the small spaces and not-so-small price tags, these listings seem to be hot commodities.

"I live in downtown Vancouver and rent out my closet for $600 a mnth and NEVER have a problem renting it out [sic]," a commenter wrote on that story. "As soon as my ad hits I get 30 emails a day!"

Keep your dreams alive, kids

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6256198

the mattress most likely bought at walmart for 40 bucks, and the curtain set up from ikea at about the same price, then buy the rest of the materials at rona at spare change and do it yourself-- boom how to make money in vancouver by renting a side of your place to students XD

slide_341396_3520110_free.jpg

i hear in the philippines this is a thing-- only over there that entire living spaces within sheets is your house. at least here, you're provided with some kind of lighting source that isn't a coke bottle, filled with water, reflecting sun light... oh, and a proper roof

OK

There was an ad on a FB group for something similar to this here in Kamloops. It was shamed off the page. Most thought it was an immigrant trying to import a custom from back home, wherever it was imagined to be. I don't think our little burg is ready for this just yet. Nice to see the big city in on the cutting edge of trendy though.

Man, I can still remember a rent of less than $300 per month for a one-bedroom suite in a newer high-rise apartment a block off Robson in 1976. Underground parking included, but walked to work at the Four Seasons. Inflation is a bitch, not to mention age.

One of my friends is real lucky. He lives in Vancouver and only pays $700 per month and has own floor as a renter. To me that's not a bargain but to him he said its a great deal. He's been living in the same place for many years because he loves the city and at the time he moved in 700 was a lot of dough but now its nothing to him.

He said if he moves now he would have to pay more then 1500 for place one third the size of his current place.

I've been living in Vancouver for 35 years, I still rent. I pay $1230 for a 1 bdrm plus den, main floor of a heritage house on Mid Main. I have been there for 12 years, my rent started at $1050. I split the rent with my wife and it costs $615 ea. Unfortunately in February, we are going to have to move, and it's to the point where it makes more sense to buy a condo/townhouse in the burbs than it does to stay in our area. The similar suites around us in our neighbourhood go from 1500-1800 depending on renovation. I have been applying like mad to all the local co-ops which offer 1-2 bedrooms for below $1000.

It's tough out there, but I have to say, if you are paying $630 for sheet walls, then you made a choice to sacrifice for location, it's not necessary. There are way cheaper options in the city, I know, I've been looking.

I've been living in Vancouver for 35 years, I still rent. I pay $1230 for a 1 bdrm plus den, main floor of a heritage house on Mid Main. I have been there for 12 years, my rent started at $1050. I split the rent with my wife and it costs $615 ea. Unfortunately in February, we are going to have to move, and it's to the point where it makes more sense to buy a condo/townhouse in the burbs than it does to stay in our area. The similar suites around us in our neighbourhood go from 1500-1800 depending on renovation. I have been applying like mad to all the local co-ops which offer 1-2 bedrooms for below $1000.

It's tough out there, but I have to say, if you are paying $630 for sheet walls, then you made a choice to sacrifice for location, it's not necessary. There are way cheaper options in the city, I know, I've been looking.

Holy $*% my friend pays 700 for two bedrooms, two bath and been there for 14 years. He really does have a bargain.

Holy $*% my friend pays 700 for two bedrooms, two bath and been there for 14 years. He really does have a bargain.

That is a bargain. I consider mine a bargain. You have to want to live here though, it is def more expensive.

Boohoo....adapt. ...train and educate yourselves to allow for living elsewhere....what is so great about the city of Vancouver anymore?

Really it jumped the shark about 20 years ago, the only good things remaining at this point are the climate and outdoor amenities.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a condo in Van 6 years ago, pay like $650 a month and I feel like an Old Economy Steve compared to what younger people have to go through with regards to housing now.

People like to blame "overseas investors" and while that's indeed a huge problem, I think most of it is due to all the cynical measures taken to artificially restrict the amount of living space, as in building height restrictions, zoning etc.

Archived