The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Kassians' stats say he's on par with his development?

Sandro17

Can anyone name a 6 foot 3 inch 220 pound player on the team that can pass similar to Henrik yet play the body like Bert? While never seeming to get more than 3rd or 4th line duties yet still managing a .35 ppg pace as a 23 year old player?

Can anyone name that player?

No, no they cannot. I will not say where Kassian will trend, but I will say he's a type of player most teams would arguably demand in their line up and he'll develop just fine. Wait until he's closer to 28 and finally getting solid PP time and 2nd line duties.

Go from there.

Joe Thorton

Kassian is the type of big, hulking presence who may finally 'arrive' in the midst of a grueling PO series. He might score a couple huge goals, when skill is illegally(no calls from reffs) held to the perimeter.

Do something with Sestito,10 x over, before giving up on ZK.

i think this is a very intelligent post ..

So 5 games in the last 4 years?

Even if he's hitting that's not the def of a power forward, it's how you use you size to drive the net, he's just not a power forward. Is tom a PF? He hits.

Did you even watch Kassian in his first two seasons with the Canucks? He hit a ton, but didnt really show much of his playmaking ability. Last season was the opposite. This season he has had a nice mix of both (had a few 4+hit games this season).

Kass drives to the net as much as Lucic and people consider him a pwf.

Classic powerforwards are physical, use their size well, and have a mean streak. Right now the only true classic powerforwards in todays game are Lucic, Clowe, Stewart. Kassian and Tom Wilson need to be more consistent physically and offensively to establish pwf status. Ritchie and McCarron are the only two truw powerforward prospects coming up as well... Kassian shares alot with all of those players listed.

Clowe's a playmaking powerforward as well and plays a perimeter game at times and only goes to the front of the net when needed.

Watch the way Kassian protects the puck, that has powerforward all over it.

Okay lets trade him. 3rd round pick sound fair? lets get it done. Cmon Benning get on it!!!!!

Kassian is big, young and has hands. He also has a cheap contract and no NTC or NMC easily and quickly tradeable

Yet Benning keeps him around...

Guess Benning has no clue what he's doing either, better luck next GM

Joe Thorton

Thornton began with Boston as an 18 year old.

By the time he was Kassian's age of 23 years old Joe had 300 NHL regular season points.

Kassian will be 24 next month.and has 55 NHL regular season points and 0 playoff points.

Kassian is big.m young and has hands. He also has a cheap contract and not NTC or NMC easily and quickly tradeable

Yet Benning keeps him around...

Guess Benning has no clue what he's doing either, better luck next GM

If he's moved I would think it's near the trade deadline or in the offseason, give Benning a little time!!!! Realistically kass holds his own cards and has every chance to be a force on the team but I would think he gets traded if we are still questioning his work ethic by the end of the season. The more time passes the better the odds are he's a bust despite all the potential he may have.

Power forwards take more time to develop. Normally what you'd do is you grab their stats and compare them to someone two years younger than they are who isn't a power forward.

Kassian is a 23 year old power forward. This means that in terms of development, his stats should be compared to 21 year old non-power forwards to gauge him. Looking at other players nwho were 21 years old or are 21 years old, is he on par with his development?

Where does this claim come from? I do not believe it (even if it is possible to define what a power forward is). Even if there is such an effect, there is no way it is two years. I have looked at the data and what I can say for sure is that the forwards who remain good the longest tend to be high skill players who play a low-impact game and therefore are less affected by wear and tear (like the Sedins and Vrbata).

Can anyone name a 6 foot 3 inch 220 pound player on the team that can pass similar to Henrik yet play the body like Bert? While never seeming to get more than 3rd or 4th line duties yet still managing a .35 ppg pace as a 23 year old player?

No, no they cannot. I will not say where Kassian will trend, but I will say he's a type of player most teams would arguably demand in their line up and he'll develop just fine. Wait until he's closer to 28 and finally getting solid PP time and 2nd line duties.

Go from there.

Byfuglien

Go from there.

:)

Archived