The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Waivers) Kyle Chipchura

And then McDavid ends up being another future star who ends up underachieving from being on a team with a bad GM and management? I hate to say this, but I really hope McDavid ends up elsewhere.

Probably my fault for how I worded this but I hope McDavid goes anywhere but the Oilers as well. I meant Chipchura is good enough to be the Oilers third center and a for sure upgrade on the forth line.

Everyone says that about all players waived....then they clear and 'shock' sets in that no one wants a has-been never-been replacement level player.

Agree to a certain extent, but, part of the issue is when you claim a player off waivers you are pretty much stuck with them. Can't trade them for a year. That's why you often see guys clear waivers and then get traded the next week, ala Bourque to Anaheim.

Also I'm sure a lot of the times an assistant GM probably puts in phone calls to the other 29 teams to gauge interest in a player, and the waiving of the player is a calculated risk.

And then McDavid ends up being another future star who ends up underachieving from being on a team with a bad GM and management? I hate to say this, but I really hope McDavid ends up elsewhere.

Generational talent is for the US market only, Bettman will make sure of it.

A 1st round draft pick, captain of Canada's WJ team, and 8 years of playing in the best hockey league in the world beg to differ.

Sure believe what you want. I never said he wasn't useful just pointing out a flaw in his game. You are making it sound like he is a really good player. In fact he has a been a let down Pretty much his entire NHL career.

Everyone says that about all players waived....then they clear and 'shock' sets in that no one wants a has-been never-been replacement level player.

Yeah, who needs a guy who's been 53.2% and 54.7% in the faceoff circle the past two years, had the 2nd lowest offensive zone starts on Phoenix last year at 40.4% and nevertheless had a corsi on of +3.4 and relative corsi of +3.4 while putting up 20 points playing less than 10 minutes a night on the fourth line? The 30 takeaways and +18 differential would no doubt be useless to shallow teams like Deadmonton as well.

This year, even lower offensive zone starts 35.6% (46.7 finishes) and a relative corsi of +4.9.

Analytics spamalytics right!!! Who needs them?

Faceoffs, puck possession, takeaways, territorial advantage and 1.54 pp60 from a cheap depth player. Who needs that?

Actually, really poor puck possession teams do. Bad hockey teams like Edmonton opt to play teenagers on their 3rd line instead - and that's a huge part of why they are such terrible hockey teams. Who is providing the puck possession for their kids in the top 6? Right - that would be no one.

Instead those morons have kids playing 3rd line minutes - take Yakupov for example - getting 75% offensive zone starts, 49% finishes, sheltered against weak opposition, and still a relative corsi of -6.7, corsi on -3.26, -9 turnover, -11 plus/minus and 1.16 pp60 - in that context, absolutely horrible. That is where puck possession goes to die. And Craig McTavish scratches his head, can't figure out why his team is so hopeless, and let's players like this pass by him on waivers.

Not every NHL player is lightning fast, has hands of silk, and hits like a bull - but some of them sure as hell make the most of what they have to work with - and Chipchura is arguably one of those guys.

This guy is a solid 28 yr old role player in his prime making 875k. The only reason he clears waivers is because there are a handful of horrible hockey teams that couldn't see an upgrade for their bottom six if they punched them square in the face. How could they possibly find room for this guy with Luke Gazdic in the way?

He's a solid 4th liner. Good advanced stats despite heavy d-zone starts.

This.

He'd be an upgrade on a number of teams' 4th line centers, andcertainly an upgrade on a lot of 4th line wingers around the league - and if there's one thing that is a luxury to have, it's a 2nd center like him playing wing on a bottom six line, who can win draws and allows the primary center to be more aggressive in the dot without concern of being waived .(or even better if they have opposite strong sides).

If it weren't for Horvat, he'd be a solid guy to pick up (I'd take him over Sestito tbh).

Archived