The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen and Horvat both look like they're not ready yet.

Dazzle

Let me preface this that regardless of what happened this game, neither of these two are sparkling in the way that Gaudreau and Monahan are doing for Calgary. Maybe this isn't fair to compare them like that, but I think the emphasis should be on giving Horvat/Jensen more time to develop.

Horvat's an amazing faceoff man, but aside from the 3 point game that he had, he's cooled down. I think that his NHL games that he's played so far will be wonderful for Juniors/WJC. It's my personal opinion that he should be sent down. Horvat is going to be a great player one day, so it's time to be patient and not rush him. Don't let him be like Draitsaitl.

As for Jensen, he was practically invisible the entire game, though Jensen did make an attempt on the breakaway. For a more developed prospect, I think there's more expectation on the part of Jensen to be making more of an impact.

Due to injuries right now, it's time to see what they're capable of. But maybe they need to be given more time to develop in the lower leagues.

Because I'm not knowledgable about prospect development, I want to ask this:

Jensen's been highly regarded by scouts in the past as being mature for his age (which I don't doubt) and that he's been playing with men, thus making him more NHL ready than the other. What's causing him to lose pace right now?

In the call-ups in the past (and this recent one, though it's only one game), his game seems to be lackluster. Jensen is/was doing well in the AHL though. His skill is there, but Horvat has 'made the cut' for the NHL before he has. I remember Jensen being severely overplayed in the WJC for Denmark; he was the best player for them by far that the coach had no choice but to play him. It seems frustrating to not see that dominance from him.

Like Nazem Kadri or Michael Grabner, one cannot expect Jensen to do well in the NHL this year... because he did not make the team. Kadri and Grabner struggled to make their teams as prospects. They had to play hard every year in order to eventually make the cut, and by then they were ready to light it up. If the coaches and management don't think Jensen's ready to make the starting team, we shouldn't expect great things out of him this year. He just needs to continue playing hard and work on improving his all-around game. I'm sure he'll be better next year.

Bo Horvat was needed for faceoffs. True, he's taking some bad penalties but the fourth line looks really good with him, Dorsett and Hansen. One of the better lines tonight, I felt. He is probably going to stay on the Canucks so you can forget about junior or WJCs.

I don't know what games you are watching, but Bo Horvat is definitely ready to play in this league.

The amount of turnovers he causes in the neutral zone with his stick is just.. It's beautiful. Such a great forchecker as well. Yeah, he probably won't surpass 15-20 points, but who cares? He isn't a scorer, that's not why he's on the team. He's not physically outmatched, he's not too slow, he's not too small.. If the only problem is his lack of discipline, which can easily be fixed through time and maturity, then hell, i'd say we're in a fantastic spot.

Let me preface this that regardless of what happened this game, neither of these two are sparkling in the way that Gaudreau and Monahan are doing for Calgary. Maybe this isn't fair to compare them like that, but I think the emphasis should be on giving Horvat/Jensen more time to develop.

Horvat's an amazing faceoff man, but aside from the 3 point game that he had, he's cooled down. I think that his NHL games that he's played so far will be wonderful for Juniors/WJC. It's my personal opinion that he should be sent down. Horvat is going to be a great player one day, so it's time to be patient and not rush him. Don't let him be like Draitsaitl.

As for Jensen, he was practically invisible the entire game, though Jensen did make an attempt on the breakaway. For a more developed prospect, I think there's more expectation on the part of Jensen to be making more of an impact.

Due to injuries right now, it's time to see what they're capable of. But maybe they need to be given more time to develop in the lower leagues.

Because I'm not knowledgable about prospect development, I want to ask this:

Jensen's been highly regarded by scouts in the past as being mature for his age (which I don't doubt) and that he's been playing with men, thus making him more NHL ready than the other. What's causing him to lose pace right now?

In the call-ups in the past (and this recent one, though it's only one game), his game seems to be lackluster. Jensen is/was doing well in the AHL though. His skill is there, but Horvat has 'made the cut' for the NHL before he has. I remember Jensen being severely overplayed in the WJC for Denmark; he was the best player for them by far that the coach had no choice but to play him. It seems frustrating to not see that dominance from him.

Well what the hell do you expect??? You're disappointed because he was the best player for DENMARK, but not for the Canucks?

Wow man. I actually find that very amusing.

Lol.

Horvat was at least noticeable, it is a player like Higgins that infuriates me. Two hard away games and he is once more the "invisible man" just like in the playoffs.

It is unfair imo to judge Jensen on a team that looked pooped, from the night before. Don't forget they played a forward short for nearly half the game against the Leafs and were playing short handed for too much of the game due to penalties last night.

Have you noticed? Jensen has played 4 freaking games only. 2 of them with only 8 minutes of ice time.

Horvat, no comment. I haven't caught up with recent games, will re-watch them with my NHL Gamecenter.

horvat's been good. he works hard on the back check, good on the FO dot-- not great, but can hold his own against the tops. he makes what ice time he has counts. we see flashes of a player he could be in a couple of years of nhl experience

people's only complaints are that he doesn't score goals that we expect him to. anyone who says otherwise is just nitpicking

My only thing is ice time. If Horvat or Corrado or Jensen or any young player is not getting a good chunk of minutes to play a regular crap (forwards more than 10 minutes a night and d more than 12 minutes a night) then they need to go to a lower level to play more and get experience playing in all situations.

Horvat is different. Unlike Jensen and Corrado and other Canucks prospects he is already a well rounded player who is solid defensively and is the Canucks best face off guy so far as a 19 year old rookie!

The only thing that would concern me is him still averaging less than 10 minutes a night. As long as he gets 10-13 minutes a game that is fine.

If over the course of the season he is dipping below 10 minutes regularly.. well then time to consider sending him back to junior before the 39 game mark.

My only thing is ice time. If Horvat or Corrado or Jensen or any young player is not getting a good chunk of minutes to play a regular crap (forwards more than 10 minutes a night and d more than 12 minutes a night) then they need to go to a lower level to play more and get experience playing in all situations.

Horvat is different. Unlike Jensen and Corrado and other Canucks prospects he is already a well rounded player who is solid defensively and is the Canucks best face off guy so far as a 19 year old rookie!

The only thing that would concern me is him still averaging less than 10 minutes a night. As long as he gets 10-13 minutes a game that is fine.

If over the course of the season he is dipping below 10 minutes regularly.. well then time to consider sending him back to junior before the 39 game mark.

i agree with some of what you're saying, that horvat is a unique situation. the team kept him up for depth, he's nhl ready, but know that sending him back to juniors would have hurt him more than help. people complaining about the world juniors should understand, that's what it is being a pro-- like any career, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. i would think that the team had told him after making the team, that there's a chance that he won't attend the WJC, because he'll be needed. judging by his attitude, i don't think he'll be losing any sleep over that

it's best that he hovers at 9-10 minutes, rather than just throwing him out there to carry the load, and have the vancouver media tear him apart, just to get a story out. that's what would ruin him more than a lack of ice time; the media

keeping horvat sheltered, while he gains experience at the highest level will eventually pay off. it's just people on cdc, just need to chill the **** out and not magnify every little thing. i recall people once saying that a young ryan kesler was a "waste on the 4th line"

i agree with some of what you're saying, that horvat is a unique situation. the team kept him up for depth, he's nhl ready, but know that sending him back to juniors would have hurt him more than help. people complaining about the world juniors should understand, that's what it is being a pro-- like any career, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. i would think that the team had told him after making the team, that there's a chance that he won't attend the WJC, because he'll be needed. judging by his attitude, i don't think he'll be losing any sleep over that

it's best that he hovers at 9-10 minutes, rather than just throwing him out there to carry the load, and have the vancouver media tear him apart, just to get a story out. that's what would ruin him more than a lack of ice time; the media

keeping horvat sheltered, while he gains experience at the highest level will eventually pay off. it's just people on cdc, just need to chill the **** out and not magnify every little thing. i recall people once saying that a young ryan kesler was a "waste on the 4th line"

I don't think a couple extra minutes would kill Horvat. I think he can more than handle it actually. If Curtis Lazar same age and same draft year on Ottawa can get 12 minutes a night than Horvat should too.

I think he will start getting more minutes on one of the pk units because of his face off prowess. Offensively unlike others I am not expecting a whole lot from him playing on the 4th line with grinders and with so few minutes right now.

I don't think a couple extra minutes would kill Horvat. I think he can more than handle it actually. If Curtis Lazar same age and same draft year on Ottawa can get 12 minutes a night than Horvat should too.

I think he will start getting more minutes on one of the pk units because of his face off prowess. Offensively unlike others I am not expecting a whole lot from him playing on the 4th line with grinders and with so few minutes right now.

difference with ottawa, is they really aren't that good of a team, other than having karlsson and ryan. the canucks are in the toughest division and are near the tops of the league. there isn't any need to just throw horvat out there. with him playing with a guy like dorsett, who can protect him, who has a mean streak, and who can go if the time calls for it. they've played quite well together and there's no reason to meddle with what's working there

difference with ottawa, is they really aren't that good of a team, other than having karlsson and ryan. the canucks are in the toughest division and are near the tops of the league. there isn't any need to just throw horvat out there. with him playing with a guy like dorsett, who can protect him, who has a mean streak, and who can go if the time calls for it. they've played quite well together and there's no reason to meddle with what's working there

To be clear not asking for better wingers for Horvat. Just saying you could judge him more offensively if he was in a more offensive role with scorers and had more minutes.

Yeah that is probably true but as the season progresses it will be interesting to see if he gets a bump up and WD starts to trust him with some pk time to boost his overall ice time.

Horvat is 6th in the NHL in faceoffs as a 19 year old and somehow he's not ready to play in this league because his point totals isn't sexy? He's playing much better now than he was 7-8 games ago and is still improving. A 20 point pace is good enough for a rookie 4th liner.

Archived