The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen and Horvat both look like they're not ready yet.

Dazzle

If you think Horvat is only contributing in face-offs only, you haven't been watching. Yes, he took a dumb penalty last night. (Hard to get ice time in the penalty box.) But the 4th line was getting the puck in deep, and getting scoring chances. It was one of the few lines that didn't get hemmed in our zone.

Horvat is one of the most responsible forecheckers, and defensive minded forwards. The offence will come, once he gets used to the NHL. There is no point in sending him back to junior, when he's already valuable on the team.

I don't think the comparison to Jonny Hockey and Monahan is fair honestly.

They both get top minutes with top line mates.

Jensen and Horvat are playing far less than 10 mins a game and Jensen has just been thrust in with no prior experience with his line mates.

I think if you give him time to get acclimated to the NHL speed with a new coach system and line mates he'll do fine. Horvat doesn't need to score goals, just play decent hockey

If you only rate a player by a single stat then most players in the NHL are useless

Bo is here for his defensive abilities. Those points a few weeks back were a bonus from a line that's not relied on for that. I mean a trick by Hansen is an anomaly, not to be counted on. Bo will probably finish the year with 15 to 20 points and a ton of NHL experience that will benefit him greatly.

If you're going to crap on him for a lack of offense with zero powerplay time and mostly defensive zone starts with a mandate to stop the other team from scoring then it's going to be a miserable experience.

Let me preface this that regardless of what happened this game, neither of these two are sparkling in the way that Gaudreau and Monahan are doing for Calgary. Maybe this isn't fair to compare them like that, but I think the emphasis should be on giving Horvat/Jensen more time to develop.

Horvat's an amazing faceoff man, but aside from the 3 point game that he had, he's cooled down. I think that his NHL games that he's played so far will be wonderful for Juniors/WJC. It's my personal opinion that he should be sent down. Horvat is going to be a great player one day, so it's time to be patient and not rush him. Don't let him be like Draitsaitl.

As for Jensen, he was practically invisible the entire game, though Jensen did make an attempt on the breakaway. For a more developed prospect, I think there's more expectation on the part of Jensen to be making more of an impact.

Due to injuries right now, it's time to see what they're capable of. But maybe they need to be given more time to develop in the lower leagues.

Because I'm not knowledgable about prospect development, I want to ask this:

Jensen's been highly regarded by scouts in the past as being mature for his age (which I don't doubt) and that he's been playing with men, thus making him more NHL ready than the other. What's causing him to lose pace right now?

In the call-ups in the past (and this recent one, though it's only one game), his game seems to be lackluster. Jensen is/was doing well in the AHL though. His skill is there, but Horvat has 'made the cut' for the NHL before he has. I remember Jensen being severely overplayed in the WJC for Denmark; he was the best player for them by far that the coach had no choice but to play him. It seems frustrating to not see that dominance from him.

You pissed on the Hovat tree and every branch is smacking you in the face now.

Life lesson on CDC, never piss on the Horvat tree.

So our rookies aren't producing as much as one of last year's and this year's rookie-of-the-year favourites, in limited minutes in bottom-6 roles, so that means they're not ready?

That's like saying Nick Bonino isn't ready to be a 2nd line center because he isn't as productive as Henrik Sedin. First off, he doesn't have the icetime or linemates Hank does. Secondly, he shouldn't be expected to. And third... ...DUH!

Horvat has proven to be a very effective bottom-6 player. He has something like an 8% lead on any other rookie in faceoffs - it's frickin' outstanding. And Jensen created a couple excellent scoring chances last night in his limited minutes. He looks like after this AHL season with some NHL spot duty, he'll be ready for a full-time spot next year.

They're young guys, rookies...they aren't supposed to be well-rounded players at this point. As long as they can fill bottom-6 roles without hurting the team, it's a win in the area of player development. Did Horvat or Jensen look any worse than anyone else out there last night?

Horvat would not have made the team if he wasn't ready. Also Jensen looked quite good last night.

He blew by Karlsson once and got a partial break, nearly scored.

He may not be ready as a full time guy yet, but he will be one day. Gaudreau is 21 And is playing his first games in the NHL now. Just wait till Horvat reaches that age.

Lol, comparing Jensen and Horvat to Monahan and Gaudreau who at the very least play 1st and or 2nd line minutes

Please just sit and watch the games and comment when each player has at least a full season under their belt and like most have said Horvat isn't in the lineup to score 40 goals a season he plays a more defensive game which he has been solid at so far

OP, I think you have way too high of expectations for people. If Horvat start getting point then great, but, until then, he's supposed to play a defensive game, win faceoffs, and not be a liability. So far he's excelled at all 3.

The points can (and hopefully will) come later, but the way he's playing is just fine.

Let me preface this that regardless of what happened this game, neither of these two are sparkling in the way that Gaudreau and Monahan are doing for Calgary. Maybe this isn't fair to compare them like that, but I think the emphasis should be on giving Horvat/Jensen more time to develop.

Horvat's an amazing faceoff man, but aside from the 3 point game that he had, he's cooled down. I think that his NHL games that he's played so far will be wonderful for Juniors/WJC. It's my personal opinion that he should be sent down. Horvat is going to be a great player one day, so it's time to be patient and not rush him. Don't let him be like Draitsaitl.

As for Jensen, he was practically invisible the entire game, though Jensen did make an attempt on the breakaway. For a more developed prospect, I think there's more expectation on the part of Jensen to be making more of an impact.

Due to injuries right now, it's time to see what they're capable of. But maybe they need to be given more time to develop in the lower leagues.

Because I'm not knowledgable about prospect development, I want to ask this:

Jensen's been highly regarded by scouts in the past as being mature for his age (which I don't doubt) and that he's been playing with men, thus making him more NHL ready than the other. What's causing him to lose pace right now?

In the call-ups in the past (and this recent one, though it's only one game), his game seems to be lackluster. Jensen is/was doing well in the AHL though. His skill is there, but Horvat has 'made the cut' for the NHL before he has. I remember Jensen being severely overplayed in the WJC for Denmark; he was the best player for them by far that the coach had no choice but to play him. It seems frustrating to not see that dominance from him.

Just put the robe back on and open your eyes...if you haven't gone blind.

Jensen played too much last game and Horvat not enough but Bo is ready...he just needs to be played more.

Archived