The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen and Horvat both look like they're not ready yet.

Dazzle

I;'m nor expecting a lot from him offensively, period, however other areas of his game grab my attention, he's never too far from the action when he is in the ice.

Jensenn? Never sold on him and every time he ones here and does his invisible man, routine

I agree Horvat has really been coached well in London and pays attention to the small details like back checking and having good awareness both offensively and defensively on where to be on the ice. Just a great hockey IQ.

Jensen yeah on the other hand I just keep thinking he will be a bigger but less fast version of Grabner with a similar wicked shot. Potential to be an Inconsistent sniper.

But then again most scorers are really streaky.

He needs to improve his game defensively and use his size more along the boards and get more physical that way like Horvat, he will still be useful if he is solid defensively and is not scoring.

Most disappointing is Frank Corrado because out of all the Canucks prospects last year he looked close to making the team and now he can't even put up numbers in the AHL as a supposed offensive d-man.

He looked like he was on the track to kind of becoming similar to Bieksa where he can chip in offensively and slowly learn to play more physical.

Of course Bieksa was way more physical at the start of his career and then toned it down when he started to contribute more offensively to protect himself from injury.

Like Tanev and even Stanton it would really help Corrado to again another 10 pounds and get up to around 200.

He will be able to be more durable and dish out hits too if he doesn't become an offensive guy at the NHL level.

Jensen has all the tools and impresses me with his speed and size every game the problem is he never plays with a passing center

The only line he's slotted into this season is the third with Richardson and Matthias who play dump and chip and chase hockey

Which works for them but Jensen can score off the rush and would be better suited to the 2nd line or itleast second unit pp. get burrows off that thing he looks bloody awful

He looked better the brief stint with Horvat as his center as well

Agreed. I'd like to see Jensen with top 6 minutes, paired with Bonino. Higgins given his skill at board play is more suited for a 'heavy' game.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Jensen

Higgins Richardson/Matthias Kassian

Dorsett Horvat Hansen

Vey

I'd say Horvat is more ready than Jensen. Especially as a 2-way player. I'm glad that Jensen isn't playing with the Sedins all year long, because that may ruin him as a player going forward. He'll just float around and expect glorious one-timer feeds throughout his career. Not totally fair.

I totally agree with you on both counts. I like Jensen but he still has holes in his game. Mainly he doesnt take the body enough. Hes two years older then Bo as well.Horvat is honestly exceeding my expectations and I thought the pick at 9th was great when a lot of people wanted the Russian.

I don't think the comparison to Jonny Hockey and Monahan is fair honestly.

They both get top minutes with top line mates.

Jensen and Horvat are playing far less than 10 mins a game and Jensen has just been thrust in with no prior experience with his line mates.

I think if you give him time to get acclimated to the NHL speed with a new coach system and line mates he'll do fine. Horvat doesn't need to score goals, just play decent hockey

Agreed! That said, I'd like the coaches (and GM) to be continually mindful of the future. The team has played very well so work from a position of strength. Make decisions now that will make the team a legit cup threat down the road. Don't try to maintain the status quo.

Agreed! That said, I'd like the coaches (and GM) to be continually mindful of the future. The team has played very well so work from a position of strength. Make decisions now that will make the team a legit cup threat down the road. Don't try to maintain the status quo.

Which is what (in your opinion), as opposed to what is going on right now? Because all I see is Benning making decisions that will make the team a legit threat down the road.

Sending them back to the AHL will only help them so much. I have always believed that the majority of a players development happens in junior or European/American college leagues. After a solid season or two growing there following the draft, time in the AHL and NHL is very similar but all that matters are the minutes.

I'd rather see Horvat play a solid 10 minutes a night with Vancouver against NHLers than see him play 15 minutes a night or even 20 with the AHL club. I know he's only played some 5 AHL games, but players are often sheltered in the AHL and need to grow there if their defensive or physical game isn't up to scratch. Horvat's are.

As for Jensen, I know he's played longer in the AHL and has proven he can score goals there, but he could use a bit more time back there because playing 20 minutes on the Comet's top line is far more beneficial for him than playing 8 minutes a night on our 3rd line with no PP or PK time.

Horvat's playing a very similar role to what he's expected to be doing in his prime whereas Jensen is not, and that's why Jensen should go back whereas Horvat should stay. That being said, I would have liked to see Jensen get more of a chance in our struggling top-6, especially with our 2nd line being ice-cold and pointless in the last odd 6 games.

I'm not sold on Jensen. I do not think he'll be a top 6 FWD in this league. But for the third line role he had, he looked okay. Made bad plays, made good ones. He didn't look awful out there by any means. But he needs another year of developement.

Horvat's looked like he belongs though. His offensive game needs work, no that is obvious. Defensively though, he is a beast, and his faceoff% is crucial on this team. Horvat is NHL ready, no doubt in my mind.

Sending them back to the AHL will only help them so much. I have always believed that the majority of a players development happens in junior or European/American college leagues. After a solid season or two growing there following the draft, time in the AHL and NHL is very similar but all that matters are the minutes.

I'd rather see Horvat play a solid 10 minutes a night with Vancouver against NHLers than see him play 15 minutes a night or even 20 with the AHL club. I know he's only played some 5 AHL games, but players are often sheltered in the AHL and need to grow there if their defensive or physical game isn't up to scratch. Horvat's are.

As for Jensen, I know he's played longer in the AHL and has proven he can score goals there, but he could use a bit more time back there because playing 20 minutes on the Comet's top line is far more beneficial for him than playing 8 minutes a night on our 3rd line with no PP or PK time.

Horvat's playing a very similar role to what he's expected to be doing in his prime whereas Jensen is not, and that's why Jensen should go back whereas Horvat should stay. That being said, I would have liked to see Jensen get more of a chance in our struggling top-6, especially with our 2nd line being ice-cold and pointless in the last odd 6 games.

Horvat is not eligible to play in the AHL because he is only 19 and was drafted out of the CHL. The 5 games that he played in Utica were part of a two week conditioning stink because he was coming off an injury. He either stays in the NHL at this point or is loaned to team Canada during the WJC but the AHL is not an option.

Horvat is not eligible to play in the AHL because he is only 19 and was drafted out of the CHL. The 5 games that he played in Utica were part of a two week conditioning stink because he was coming off an injury. He either stays in the NHL at this point or is loaned to team Canada during the WJC but the AHL is not an option.

Great post.

Archived