The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we lend Horvat to team Canada?

Off_The_Schneid!

Pretty straight forward question

I for one would like to see him sent to team Canada for the world juniors

He would most likely be the 2nd line center and used in all key situations. He would benefit greatly from the free flowing play that may spark his offence. Similar to Olympic years where players have came back and brought the momentum of winning gold back to there teams.

He wouldn't miss many games and playing big minutes with offensive players can only help his development as a player

I would see if BoHo wants to play in the WJC first. It's kind of meaningless to send him off to the WJC if he doesn't want to go, and it's almost as meaningless to keep him with the team if he wants to go.

Exactly...no point sending him if he would rather not go.

I would see if BoHo wants to play in the WJC first. It's kind of meaningless to send him off to the WJC if he doesn't want to go, and it's almost as meaningless to keep him with the team if he wants to go.

"Hey Bo, want to play in the WJC?"

"No, I don't feel like representing my country in an international tournament with the best young players Canada has to offer."

I'm pretty sure Horvat would want to go. It's up to JB and Willie, and from what JB has said he is leaving it up to Willie.

Seriously I don't mind either way. I like was he's doing with the Canucks, but wouldn't mind watching him a lot and play often during the Holidays.

The reason that makes me think he will go is because of the Jensen recall. With Horvat at 4C and Vey at 3RW we didn't need Jensen to sit in the pressbox, Archibald, De Fazio or O'Reilly could have done that.

Maybe WD/JB they wanted Jensen around to pratice with the team and be familiar with the system and play a few games for when Horvat would leave for WJC, Jensen could slot in at permanent (2 weeks) 3RW and Vey could return 4C and if Kassian were to return during that time Jensen could return to Utica and everyone would retake his original spot before Horvat joined.

Depends on team health and where we are in the standings IMO. Even if those point to possibly sending him I'm like 60% / 40% that I'd rather he just stay and continue helping his NHL team win. Though going would also be an invaluable experience.

It's just a few regular season games. I think the Canucks will be ok with their 4th liner for those games and Horvat will get some fantastic experience being a leader on team Canada. Send him!! Although if McDavid's healthy and Rienhart plays centre, Horvat could find himself on the 3rd line as a checking centre.

Exactly...no point sending him if he would rather not go.

Are you guys referring to something he actually said? I would think that any top prospect would relish the opportunity to play big minutes, if said prospect cares about his development.

He knows his role here in Vancouver, but if he plays on the top 2 lines at the W.J.C. I would think there's only positives to be had from this opportunity (e.g. offensive expansion). The only reason we kept him here is because we can't send him down to Utica, and people have said that he should get top minutes down there instead of playing minimal minutes here, had he been old enough (not that he's suffered here, but top minutes would probably still be helpful for development in the future).

Now that he gets the chance to do that, why deprive him of the chance to play with guys who will become NHL stars, just so that he can play in a small role on this team? We can always call up a 4th liner, but as a 4th liner he won't always get the top minutes here (and far from it! He's behind three NHL centers, playing around 10 minutes a game!)

Are you guys referring to something he actually said? I would think that any top prospect would relish the opportunity to play big minutes, if said prospect cares about his development.

He knows his role here in Vancouver, but if he plays on the top 2 lines at the W.J.C. I would think there's only positives to be had from this opportunity (e.g. offensive expansion). The only reason we kept him here is because we can't send him down to Utica, and people have said that he should get top minutes down there instead of playing minimal minutes here, had he been old enough (not that he's suffered here, but top minutes would probably still be helpful for development in the future).

Now that he gets the chance to do that, why deprive him of the chance to play with guys who will become NHL stars, just so that he can play in a small role on this team? We can always call up a 4th liner, but as a 4th liner he won't always get the top minutes here (and far from it! He's behind three NHL centers, playing around 10 minutes a game!)

No, only that he played last year and maybe figures once was enough. I'm not implying he does or doesn't actually want to go this year, only that it's a possibility that he'd rather just remain with the Canucks.

Archived