The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$69 million Cap Vs. 73 million cap for 2015-2016 Canucks

Bert Diesel

I know this is somewhat similar to a recent thread about cap space but I wanted to start a new discussion on the different potential lineups the Nucks would have if the cap goes up or down. It looks like there are conflicting points of view to where the cap will end up. Apparently its largely based on the strength of the Canadian $. As I stated before, I think we can keep our team intact if the cap is at 73 million we can sign Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett. This will give guys like Jensen, Shinkaruk, McCann and Virtanen an extra year of development in Junior or the AHL. Keeping guys longer in the AHL can keep their RFA price down which can be a long-term benefit. If we are at the 69 million cap number, Benning will have some tough choices to make. The young guys will get a chance but that might mean a drop in the standings. I would prioritize defense because we lack depth more in that area. I would also try to sign one of Matthias/Richardson or Dorsett to add grit into the bottom 6. It will be impossible to keep all three under the 69 million $ cap scenario.

73 Million dollar cap team

Beginning with 56 million dollars and 15 players signed

Canucks need to sign 8 player to complete the 23 man roster

Resign: 1. RFA Tanev 4 million

2. RFA Sbisa 3

3. UFA Matthias 2.5

4. UFA Richardson 1.8

5. UFA Dorsett 1.5

6. RFA Vey 1.2 million

7. RFA Weber or Stanton 1 million

8. RFA Corrado 750,000 will no longer be waiver eligible

Under a 69 million dollar cap team, a few players may have to take a bit less $ league wide

1. Tanev 3.5 million

2. Sbisa 2.8 million

3. Vey 1 million

4. Weber 1 million

5. Corrado 750,000

6. Kenins 600,00 or Virtanen if he is looking ready

7. One of Matthias/richardson/dorsett 2 million

8. Shinkaruk 894,000 /Grenier 640,000

Our 69 Million lineup would look like:

D Sedin H Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Higgins

Hansen Horvat Jensen

Kassian Vey Matthias

Forward scratches

any two of:

Kenins

Grenier

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

D:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Tanev Edler

Corrado Sbisa

Scratched: Weber

Thoughts?

It is my understanding that we will have a 71-73 million dollar salary cap next year. This could allow us to resign our exsisting players. I'm thinking that Higgins may be traded to make space for youth at the draft.

I actually don't think Higgins would be the one moving. He seems to have been a guy who has gained the trust of several versions of the coaching staff over the years and working his way up the lineup, so he is clearly doing something right.

Hansen and Richardson are more likely candidates one would think (if there is a young player pushing for a spot).

It is my understanding that we will have a 71-73 million dollar salary cap next year. This could allow us to resign our exsisting players. I'm thinking that Higgins may be traded to make space for youth at the draft.

Hiigins has a No trade clause and has performed well this year; it may make sense to move him or Burrows but only if there is a cap crunch.

When Shinkaruk is ready, which may be next season, He will need to be on the top six. Although this is just speculation at this point, one of the wingers on the second line will need to be moved. I see Burrows being more versitle for our future. In this scenario it's Higgins being the odd man out. Benning stated this summer that even with no trade clauses he is willing to notify an agent to give a list of teams. I like Higgins play as well this year, but I can see so much talent in Hunter's game right now that he may just fit into the second line and be an explosive player.

I would hope to keep our third and fourth line in tact. They have played amazing for us this year and has been a bright light. The only thing we lack at the moment is a top 4 defenceman and mabey some help on the second line. Just my 2 cents.

I can see so much talent in Hunter's game right now that he may just fit into the second line and be an explosive player.

9 points in 24 games in Utica. If he is to fit into a scoring role, he's going to have to show better than that in the Ahl. I think he will, but next season might be early. I think, and hopefully Benning does as well, that we need to keep veteran depth on the big club until the guys in Utica have clearly shown that they deserve a long look in the NHL. Having all the young guys on the farm creates a winning attitutde throughout the organization and helps out huge if there are a glut of injuries. So far the only guy that fits that description is Jensen, and I think even he needs more seasoning.

Hiigins has a No trade clause and has performed well this year; it may make sense to move him or Burrows but only if there is a cap crunch.

Higgins has a limited NTC which means he would supply a specified list of teams he will or will not go to.

Hansen and Vrbata have modified NTC's

Miller has a NTC which he can specify a list of 5 teams he would be traded to

Burrows is a full NMC

http://www.capgeek.com/canucks/

A creative solution may be to trade Miller at the end of the season and bring up Markstrom. Goaltending depth is a huge strong point in the organization currently with Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, and Demko. Taking Miller's cap hit off the books would allow us to keep the current team and maybe even sign a UFA defenseman.

our five goalie problem will be dealt with in offseason hopefully we can get a second rounder for markstrom or ericksoon.

im not sure why wed resign richardson. when we have a bunch of young guys pushing for spots id rather give gaunce a chance at 925k than pay him 1.8. jensen will either be a full time canuck next yr or dealt no way he needs 3 yrs in ahl we have to give youngsters a chance or whats the point of having prospects. sign a expensive dman in offseason stabilize the d and play youth virtanen, shinkaruk and gaunce and kenins will push for spots

when we have a bunch of young guys pushing for spots id rather give gaunce a chance at 925k than pay him 1.8. jensen will either be a full time canuck next yr or dealt no way he needs 3 yrs in ahl we have to give youngsters a chance or whats the point of having prospects. sign a expensive dman in offseason stabilize the d and play youth virtanen, shinkaruk and gaunce and kenins will push for spots

Other than Vey, we don't have a 4th center, Richardson is valuable here but I think Matthias' skating and size makes him less replaceable, so if we can, we should keep Matthias. What's the point of having prospects if we don't play them? Ask the Oilers how playing their prospects is working out for them. Prospects are just that until they have proven themselves in professional hockey. We cannot give spots to players based on reputation, the young guys have to earn it and in good organizations like Detroit, they play out most of their entry level deals in the Ahl. I think it pays off to spend to the cap with veterans; everyone forgets how valuable it is to have guys on these entry level deals who can be called up or down. Just remember how terrible our depth was last year with Welsh, Archibald, Sestito, Dalpe on the 4th line.

i could see jensen taking burrow's spot and horvat taking richardson's place...if not next year, than the year after...by then if guys like shinkarek and virtenan can steal a roster spot, then some more players will have to be moved...but let's not become the edmonton oilers....

I think our forwards are set for next year, it's just the defence we need to shore up on. Here's how I see the outline for next years roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Shinkaruk - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Dorsett/Vey

Hamhuis - _____

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

Our forwards are gonna be pretty jammed so I believe a trade is inevitable.

I know this is somewhat similar to a recent thread about cap space but I wanted to start a new discussion on the different potential lineups the Nucks would have if the cap goes up or down. It looks like there are conflicting points of view to where the cap will end up. Apparently its largely based on the strength of the Canadian $. As I stated before, I think we can keep our team intact if the cap is at 73 million we can sign Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett. This will give guys like Jensen, Shinkaruk, McCann and Virtanen an extra year of development in Junior or the AHL. Keeping guys longer in the AHL can keep their RFA price down which can be a long-term benefit. If we are at the 69 million cap number, Benning will have some tough choices to make. The young guys will get a chance but that might mean a drop in the standings. I would prioritize defense because we lack depth more in that area. I would also try to sign one of Matthias/Richardson or Dorsett to add grit into the bottom 6. It will be impossible to keep all three under the 69 million $ cap scenario.

73 Million dollar cap team

Beginning with 56 million dollars and 15 players signed

Canucks need to sign 8 player to complete the 23 man roster

Resign: 1. RFA Tanev 4 million

2. RFA Sbisa 3

3. UFA Matthias 2.5

4. UFA Richardson 1.8

5. UFA Dorsett 1.5

6. RFA Vey 1.2 million

7. RFA Weber or Stanton 1 million

8. RFA Corrado 750,000 will no longer be waiver eligible

Under a 69 million dollar cap team, a few players may have to take a bit less $ league wide

1. Tanev 3.5 million

2. Sbisa 2.8 million

3. Vey 1 million

4. Weber 1 million

5. Corrado 750,000

6. Kenins 600,00 or Virtanen if he is looking ready

7. One of Matthias/richardson/dorsett 2 million

8. Shinkaruk 894,000 /Grenier 640,000

Our 69 Million lineup would look like:

D Sedin H Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Higgins

Hansen Horvat Jensen

Kassian Vey Matthias

Forward scratches

any two of:

Kenins

Grenier

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

D:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Tanev Edler

Corrado Sbisa

Scratched: Weber

Thoughts?

I believe you are overrating the contracts due Tanev & Sbisa in the larger cap model. About right in lower cap regardless ($3.5 & $2.8). Remember these a restricted free agents. We don't have to pay Tanev as much as Martinez who would have been UFA, is 25 lbs heavier and has better puck skills.

I like the figures you have thrown out for Mathias and Dorsett. But I also believe with UFA leverage they will get more than suggested. Richardson modestly so.

I like the lower cap model quite a bit, just would do Dorsett versus Mathias. Nothing wrong with Matty, just like Dorsett.

In the higher cap model I'm going young and trying to add Johnny Boychuck as a UFA. Maybe Mike Green but probably too expensive. And less appealing anyway.

Danny / Hank / Vrbata

Jensen / Bonino / Kassian (hope they progress to grab scoring roles?)

Higgins / Horvat / Burrows

Dorsett / Richardson / Hansen

Gaunce / Kenin

Edler / Boychuck

Hamhuis / Tanev

Hutton / Bieksa

Stanton / Sbisa (I know 24 guys and Sbisa > Hutton & somebody will be injured just hope Hutton signs and comes on board)

Miller

Markstrom

There is also of course the lure of what we can get for either of Markstrom or Lack? We could see a Kassian / Lack package deliver a premium winger for our 2knd line?

edit: Missing Vey, adjust Kenin out. My mistake. Or Richardson?

A creative solution may be to trade Miller at the end of the season and bring up Markstrom. Goaltending depth is a huge strong point in the organization currently with Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, and Demko. Taking Miller's cap hit off the books would allow us to keep the current team and maybe even sign a UFA defenseman.

If Lack is ready, it would be in our best interest to move Miller's contract. With that cap space there are so many options.

If Lack is ready, it would be in our best interest to move Miller's contract. With that cap space there are so many options.

Agreed.

But Miller has a 5 team trade list NTC. What are the odd's Arizona, LA, Anaheim, Colorado or SJ wants and will pay for Miller?

Well, guess it depends on Gibson? The Fowl just signed why Heff to Bryzgalov... :P

There is no need to sign Weber, Stanton and Corrado. If it was me I really would try and get Corrado some game time and see how he does. If he plays decently then it will be time to say good-bye to Weber and have Corrado and Stanton as the 6th/7th d-men fighting for a permament spot on the team.

Weber has had his moments, but I thought Corrado would have been playing by now. When he does get time he seems to play pretty good. I think he may be ready next year, unless there is something I'm not aware of with him?

Lack and Miller tanden should stay for a little bit. Other wise signing Miller is pointless. Next year Lack should get more games though. This year I see a 60/22 split, then next year maybe it could go to a 50/30 split. Ease Lack into the no.1 like we did with Schnieder and somewhere along the line find a new home for Miller. Just my personal opinion haha.

Either that or Lack could be the one out the door, and Markstrom gets the back-up job and then no.1 with Eriksson the back-up in time. Good goaltending depth here, what a nice thing to have after years and mediocrity in the late 90's/early 2000's.

We need to make room for rookie forwards next year. I would start with Hansen and Sestito (he was a spare anyway)

Richardson and Matthias have been good but if I had to choose one I would take Matthias.

Horvat should be giving a chance to center the 3rd line next year.

I think Burrows or Higgins has to be traded, I like both of these players and I think Burrows is a heart a soul guy but his cap hit is kind of high. Higgins has decent trade value, maybe package him in the draft for a D man.

If Matthias can be re-signed for a reasonable amount I think he could potentially be a 2nd line replacement for a guy like Higgins and inject some more size to our top 6.

We're going to have to make way or Jensen and/or Shinkaruk next season, and expect Horvat to take the 3rd line center role. Also expect Corrado to play more regularly and Hamhuis and Bieksa to slowly be weaned off their big minutes:

Re-sign Matthias 2M (until Gaunce is ready to replace him)

Let Richardson walk (Horvat will take his minutes hopefully)

Re-sign Dorsett 1.8M

Let Sestito walk

Re-sign Vey 2M (bridge)

Re-sign Sbisa 3M

Re-sign Tanev 4M (long term, doesn't make 4.5-5.5M because of not much offence)

Re-sign Stanton 1.8M

Re-sign Corrado 1M

Let Weber walk (useless, will be replaced by Corrado)

That leaves us at a cap hit of 72.5M which is around the average of what the cap is proposed to be. I wouldn't mind seeing this next year though:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Jensen - Horvat - Burrows

Shinkaruk - Matthias - Hansen

Archived