The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Before you bash the team, consider this.

Dazzle

Well, here's a classic 'after the game' thread, but it's not what you think it's going to say. It's more like a moment of clarity.

This is one of the most intense, high pressure markets in the game. Every move that you make on ice, every word that you say - everything is scrutinized. You're paid big bucks. You make much more per game than someone makes in a week, full-time.

But if you're like me, I bring a piece of my work home with me. I have my 'what if' moments... sometimes I even dream about it. Work creeps into your downtime sometimes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the same for professional hockey players.

Playing the game for fun and playing the game for a living is completely different. They try their best and it just doesn't work out sometimes. Who the hell would pass up the opportunity to score and be the hero? Why let your teammates down? Why would you intentionally make yourself look bad? It makes no sense. Nobody wants to be badmouthed.

I was so frustrated with this team today, particularly at Bieksa, then I took a moment in the shower and just chilled.

I look at the facial reactions of Burrows/ Bieksa - they're one of the most (openly) emotional guys on the team. Burrows broke his stick intentionally on his knee, like Kesler did during the playoffs, when he missed a chance to score. Bieksa looked like he hated himself after he dove helplessly to see Rousell (sp?) score into that empty net.

They're frustrating players to watch and they're not paid cheaply either, but that doesn't mean they don't want to win or care.

Even Daniel Sedin (softly) slammed his stick on the ice out of frustration during the Superskills Competition when he only had 2/4. This was a guy that was 4/4 in 2011 during the NHL All-stars Superskills competition and has always been good at this. I think his confidence is down.

Hansen is criminally underrated - and now I really saw it in this game. The dude works his tail off.

Sbisa has been much better than the start. Weber's been good as a depth defenceman. Remember Andrew Alberts? That guy really improved too.

Edler's been beastly - I was one of many that wanted him traded before his NTC kicked in.

There's many others that I didn't mention whose efforts are often overlooked. It's not that I don't appreciate it. I just can't list them all individually right now.

This team isn't close to perfect, but there is no such thing as that. Winning a game doesn't mean that your team is the best nor does it mean that you were 'the better' team. Losing a game doesn't mean it's all over. It just means it's opportunity to do better next time - or opportunity for roster changes.

It's one journey to go into the NHL. One wrong path and it could be a dead end, though if given time, you could be back on the right track. There's 82 games for a reason. There's going to be all sorts of surprises - ups and downs. The players know it. It's time that we consider that and watch the season unfold as it does, win or lose.

Just support the team as it is, until it is modified. Benning's a good GM but he likely has some very tough moves to make - and moves that he can't make. What's the point in bashing the team? If they try hard and lose, then it was meant to be. There will be new stories to come.

Really ? I have been a Canuck fan since day 1 but I also do not believe in cheering on mediocrity. We have been cheering mediocrity since 1970....time to raise the bar. The expectations of the coaching, players and fans should be pursuit of the SC, not oh well they played hard....night after night until finally.....'Oh well there is always next year' or the 'There is only one team that wins the SC and the rest don't'......it is time to be that one team not one of the other teams. The Canucks have been to game 7 three times and come up short....we should expect to win instead of accepting our fate as a 2nd tier team.

Every team in the league is in the same boat as us and can find an excuse if they want to.

After 5 straight losses it is evident that we are not the powerhouse that we all expected at the beginning of the season so Benning will address that when the opportunity presents itself. He came from a winning organization and knows what has to be done. Expect change....

Really ? I have been a Canuck fan since day 1 but I also do not believe in cheering on mediocrity. We have been cheering mediocrity since 1970....time to raise the bar. The expectations of the coaching, players and fans should be pursuit of the SC, not oh well they played hard....night after night until finally.....'Oh well there is always next year' or the 'There is only one team that wins the SC and the rest don't'......it is time to be that one team not one of the other teams. The Canucks have been to game 7 three times and come up short....we should expect to win instead of accepting our fate as a 2nd tier team.

Every team in the league is in the same boat as us and can find an excuse if they want to.

After 5 straight losses it is evident that we are not the powerhouse that we all expected at the beginning of the season so Benning will address that when the opportunity presents itself. He came from a winning organization and knows what has to be done. Expect change....

Well said Bluesman I agree. I loved watching our last 2 Captains and their Era's but they never brought us any closer to the Cup. I actually enjoyed the days when we had all kinds of heart on the team but not a whole lot of talent. When the talent came it seemed the heart in the team diminished. One day we will have both and I will welcome the "change".

Pardon?

Very few expected them to be a powerhouse this season. Many didn't even think they would be a playoff team. That all changed for many with the unsustainable good start, but it's back to reality time.

I am guilty of taking it too seriously. I have been avoiding this site for the last few games because I don't want to fuel my rage. Dazzle, you make some great points and I think it's fair to say that as fans, we need to make sure we are supporting the team first, and if that means giving a player a break during a losing skid, then so be it. Saying who is "at fault" will do nothing for the overall health of the team or fan base. I think it's enough to say the team needs to play better..and perhaps GM Notgillis needs to make a move to fortify our defensive depth. Look at Edmonton fans, how many of you would be here if the Canucks were the Oilers? We've had it good for a while. I'm not prepared to lower my expectations, but I am prepared to cut the team some slack...for now.

Everyone who loves this team is guilty of taking it too seriously. We invest so much time and money following this team we forget these are people.

Theres always a consolation prize for doing poorly in the season ;)

Good draft pick :D

I enjoy competitive hockey by trading veterans for lesser known or younger players and draft picks.

Benning performed that act on trade day so I expect he will attempt the same again coming the late February /early March trade deadline period.

WD had them playing a high risk attacking style hockey and for awhile it worked. Once teams had time to scout them and adjust, they started getting beaten up . They lack the speed and talent to play a true up-temp game and beat decent teams with speed.

Now WD is adjusting and getting them to play a more defensive style and to try to be patient while they slow the other team down to their level and hope for low scoring wins. Last game was the most boring game of the year as the Nucks tried to implement that system.

It will be a shame if the Nucks dumb down the product and make moves to try to remain competitive with this core. I would rather they continued to try the up-tempo style and brought in kids or younger players that have the speed to play it.

WD had them playing a high risk attacking style hockey and for awhile it worked. Once teams had time to scout them and adjust, they started getting beaten up . They lack the speed and talent to play a true up-temp game and beat decent teams with speed.

Now WD is adjusting and getting them to play a more defensive style and to try to be patient while they slow the other team down to their level and hope for low scoring wins. Last game was the most boring game of the year as the Nucks tried to implement that system.

It will be a shame if the Nucks dumb down the product and make moves to try to remain competitive with this core. I would rather they continued to try the up-tempo style and brought in kids or younger players that have the speed to play it.

They will return to it when Hammer gets healthy. He can cover for Bieksa and Sbisa cannot.

After they were both hung out to dry against the Rangers WD immediately retrenched.

I just want the world jr's to start so I can watch some entertaining hockey again.

Haven't seen a lot of entertaining hockey out of this team for a while. There has been flashes this season, but not at all as consistent as it needs to be.

For me, hockey is entertainment. If the team I'm a fan of isnt entertaining, I'm not going to watch. Call it bandwagonning, but that's the way I treat hockey.

Correct. The games were very entertaining, win or lose, for the first 6 weeks. Gotten kinda boring since then. The league is so well scouted and over-coached that if your team has something good going on, they will be forced to change at some point. Then it's down to your personnel and coaching to counter with something new. It's like a crook trying to stay one step ahead of the cops.

Archived