The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Faster, not bigger

Bo.Horvat53

lol, "small guys like toews"

top sixty scorers in the nhl average to about 183 pounds.

get real tsn, you're in a fantasy land.

Lul. U didn't read.

Toews btw is 210lbs. Intangibles. But back when they had Big Buff, Toews wasn't that big. I certainly noticed how effective that line with the dominant net presense was against us in 2010, for instance. Did you?

Now, if Tom Sestito could only skate or do something with the puck, we'd have something. But he is an example of useless size.

Toews weight in 2010 was 210. Go check the olympic rosters.

I'm not denying the effectiveness of a big net front presence, but those are complimentary pieces.

Sestito is great. He comes in, gives us five big hits in limited ice time. Can knock off rats like Jordan Nolan.

And he's godly at toe drags.

gallery_66429_206_945591.gif

Jake Virtanen and Nik Jensen say hi. There coming soon to a team near you and they can fly.

Jensen is only 21, he needs another 3 or 4 years in the AHL before he is ready. Virtanen, well that is a long term project, a bit like Kassian. Kassian is only 23, give him another couple of years to figure things out, especially mentally. Virtanen is 18, I mean he is probably 7 years away from being an impact player at the NHL level. WHL next year, then 2 years of AHL and then 3-4 years to figure out the NHL.

Jensen is only 21, he needs another 3 or 4 years in the AHL before he is ready. Virtanen, well that is a long term project, a bit like Kassian. Kassian is only 23, give him another couple of years to figure things out, especially mentally. Virtanen is 18, I mean he is probably 7 years away from being an impact player at the NHL level. WHL next year, then 2 years of AHL and then 3-4 years to figure out the NHL.

Not evreyone is kassian, most players that are high picks are ready far before your thinking. Jensen 1/2 years virt 2/3.... Seven years.... Lol

Jake Virtanen and Nik Jensen say hi. There coming soon to a team near you and they can fly.

It is too early to have clear expectations about Virtanen but I agree he looks like an excellent prospect and he is an excellent skater.

Jensen is also a very good skater. But it is not yet clear he will even stick in the NHL. He is 21 now and will turn 22 this season. That is still young and he is having a good year in Utica. But he needs to take another step forward in the next year to even be a solid NHL player.

The Canucks need speed in the top 6 and it is far from obvious where it will come from in the next couple of years.

Faster and talented,not big,dumb and slow.Thanks.

It’s very clear where Krug excels as a defenseman. He’s a stud offensive player, with great puck moving ability, and excellent foot speed, allowing him to join the rush in transition. This array of talents allows him to be a strong player in possession, as he posted an overall Corsi percentage of 55.4 last season, with a relative Corsi percentage of 2.1.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2014/08/theres_no_need_to_force_torey_krug_into_an_expanded_role.html

Faster and talented,not big,dumb and slow.Thanks.

It’s very clear where Krug excels as a defenseman. He’s a stud offensive player, with great puck moving ability, and excellent foot speed, allowing him to join the rush in transition. This array of talents allows him to be a strong player in possession, as he posted an overall Corsi percentage of 55.4 last season, with a relative Corsi percentage of 2.1.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2014/08/theres_no_need_to_force_torey_krug_into_an_expanded_role.html

Artical also says he has below average defensive skills. He is a good pp guy tho, very sheltered with Bruin big bodies protecting him.

Artical also says he has below average defensive skills. He is a good pp guy tho, very sheltered with Bruin big bodies protecting him.

Canucks second unit PP has scored one goal all year.

Fifth d man placed in offensive situations.

On pace for 35 points with 40 in his rookie campaign.

Anyone else here watch the game and feel like the Canucks were skating in quick sand the whole night? I mean seriously, we look sloooowww out there. I know this isn't new, and we're not known as a fast team, but boy have some players lost a step.

Burrows looks like half of the player he used to be in his hay days, and that's mostly because he lost his tenacity and speed. What happened to the aggressive in your face Burrows that hustled every night? We need that right now.

Yes, Kesler and Raymond had to go, but we lost a ton of speed when they left, and haven't exactly filled those holes. Bonino isn't a bad skater, but he is in no way a fast one.

Watching the Devils Sens game before ours last night and even the fracking Devils look faster than us. One thing I've noticed is that the canucks absolutely love to skate the puck out of their zone rather than quickly chip it up or fire an outlet pass.

I guess what I'm saying is our most prominent need is speed, not size. Please do not trade Jannik Hansen, because he was literally the only player I noticed actually skating last night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident in the core and feel they can bounce back. We just need an extra injection of speed intolerant lineup to start competing again

We lost to Boston in the finals and GIllis and everybody started saying how we needed to be bigger - that Boston dominated physically.

As soon as that was said it was obvious that once you get bigger, you'll get slower and that it is speed that we need.

It's not about being bigger or faster. It's about having the right mix of speed size and young secondary scoring at a reasonable cap hit before they demand too much.

That is how Pittsburg and Chicago did it. And that is how all teams have to do it in this cap system.

We lost to Boston in the finals and GIllis and everybody started saying how we needed to be bigger - that Boston dominated physically.

As soon as that was said it was obvious that once you get bigger, you'll get slower and that it is speed that we need.

It's not about being bigger or faster. It's about having the right mix of speed size and young secondary scoring at a reasonable cap hit before they demand too much.

That is how Pittsburg and Chicago did it. And that is how all teams have to do it in this cap system.

Pittsburgh has gagged in the playoffs for a few years now, Chicago is a different animal.

• 4 months later...

It's not like we haven't seen a collection of fast players come and go here before. Pavel Bure was fast. So was Steve Kariya. So I think there's more to hockey than just speed. Bure had a huge shot, could play 30mins a game with ease, had tree trunks for legs, had the dangles to go through whole lineups, and had the intestinal fortitude to stick up for himself in big games. And even he didn't win a cup for us.

Skill is important during the season games. Playoff's are different. Considering how you get banged up pretty bad during playoff's. You need big bodies and speed.

Just watch how Anaheim is going to run over the Flames in the 2nd round. Most of their top 2 lines are bigger than Flames.

Archived