The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat on the 2nd line power-play

The_Cros

Not to mention the second PP can't get much worse, so its worth the try to finally give Horvat an actual offensive chance for once.

That's a weak argument.

I'll concede that the 2nd unit PP can't get much worse - but why does Bo get the chance over guys like Richardson and Matthias? They have way more goals and have created a lot more scoring chances this year. If we're asking who deserves it more based on their play, it's definitely those two guys over Bo. Bo has to earn it like everyone else - Willie is teaching him that and bringing him along right. Wouldn't mess with the way he's being developed right now.

That's a weak argument.

I'll concede that the 2nd unit PP can't get much worse - but why does Bo get the chance over guys like Richardson and Matthias? They have way more goals and have created a lot more scoring chances this year. If we're asking who deserves it more based on their play, it's definitely those two guys over Bo.

The idea of having Richardson on a PP is laughable. I understand he's shown upside, but overall is offensive skill is minimal in the long run. Matthias is a power forward and could be a good extra forward on the second PP, sure. But my point is, to finally give the kid an actual offensive chance with offensively capable players for once. He's shown offensive skill in his past, let him display it and grow confidence with his shot and hands. Its really not a large risk putting him in over bottom six players.

The idea of having Richardson on a PP is laughable. I understand he's shown upside, but overall is offensive skill is minimal in the long run. Matthias is a power forward and could be a good extra forward on the second PP, sure. But my point is, to finally give the kid an actual offensive chance with offensively capable players for once. He's shown offensive skill in his past, let him display it and grow confidence with his shot and hands. Its really not a large risk putting him in over bottom six players.

But he hasn't earned it. That's my point.

And Richardson scored 97 points in the OHL, so he's "shown" offensive skill in his past too. I think OHL production is BS - whatever Bo (or Richardson) has done in the OHL does not count towards his credit. He has to show it here, and earn it here. So far, Bo has not shown anything offensively that deserves the chance over veterans who have outproduced him.

Bo is going to get his chances on PP eventually - he's still developing - but he's not going to be fed PP minutes with a silver spoon when he hasn't earned it. Let him work on the 4th line until he works his way up the depth chart.

But he hasn't earned it. That's my point.

And Richardson scored 97 points in the OHL, so he's "shown" offensive skill in his past too. I think OHL production is BS - whatever Bo (or Richardson) has done in the OHL does not count towards his credit. He has to show it here, and earn it here. So far, Bo has not shown anything offensively that deserves the chance over veterans who have outproduced him.

Bo is going to get his chances on PP eventually - he's still developing - but he's not going to be fed PP minutes with a silver spoon when he hasn't earned it. Let him work on the 4th line until he works his way up the depth chart.

Richardson scoring in the OHL years ago has nothing to do with a highly touted and high drafted forward with potential. Horvat has much higher offensive promise than Richardson ever has. Like I said, Bo hasn't technically shown much of it in the NHL so far because he is on a 4th line with Derek Dorsett, where they're told their main game plan is it finish your check and get the puck in deep, with no emphasis on an offensive game, but more defensive. He deserves an offensive chance, as he has been extremely responsible with the puck, and has made some great decisions for quick breakout plays. He deserves to have some room with the puck and actually use his hands and shot further, to develop and gain offensive confidence, as he should over time. Thinking Brad Richardson should be on a PP over a top prospect of Horvat is pretty comical.

Richardson scoring in the OHL years ago has nothing to do with a highly touted and high drafted forward with potential. Horvat has much higher offensive promise than Richardson ever has. Like I said, Bo hasn't technically shown much of it in the NHL so far because he is on a 4th line with Derek Dorsett, where they're told their main game plan is it finish your check and get the puck in deep, with no emphasis on an offensive game, but more defensive. He deserves an offensive chance, as he has been extremely responsible with the puck, and has made some great decisions for quick breakout plays. He deserves to have some room with the puck and actually use his hands and shot further, to develop and gain offensive confidence, as he should over time. Thinking Brad Richardson should be on a PP over a top prospect of Horvat is pretty comical.

You know this now?

And being responsible with the puck doesn't translate to deserving an offensive chance LOL

LOL, actually in many ways thats exactly what leads to deserving a move up the depth chart and creating an offensive chance.

It's necessary but not sufficient in and of itself to deserve a move up the depth chart.

The 2nd PP unit isn't working, but hey, what's the point in giving someone else a chance right? Lets keep going with what isn't doing very well.

Horvat has more offensive upside than any of the other bottom 6 options, its not about spoonfeeding him anything, logically if we are going to try someone else on that line he makes alot more sense than some of our other options.

The 2nd PP unit isn't working, but hey, what's the point in giving someone else a chance right? Lets keep going with what isn't doing very well.

Horvat has more offensive upside than any of the other bottom 6 options, its not about spoonfeeding him anything, logically if we are going to try someone else on that line he makes alot more sense than some of our other options.

he by far our slowest bottom 6, and heck even defensively hes still trying to figure it out, watch games and see that there are times when he floats, like all rookies.

At this very point in time, if anything, Richardson (on pace for 42~ points) deserves a spot on the 2nd PP over Horvat. But that would just be kinda dumb.

At this very point in time, if anything, Richardson (on pace for 42~ points) deserves a spot on the 2nd PP over Horvat. But that would just be kinda dumb.

Richardson I can understand, he has a nice shot, can win draws and has solid puck skills.

But Horvat's offensive potential is better than any of the other players in the bottom 6. And his skill right now is even useful, he's got good puck skills, he's a good playmaker, and he's heavy down low. He's a better option than say Hansen.

Richardson I can understand, he has a nice shot, can win draws and has solid puck skills.

But Horvat's offensive potential is better than any of the other players in the bottom 6. And his skill right now is even useful, he's got good puck skills, he's a good playmaker, and he's heavy down low. He's a better option than say Hansen.

Vey is a bottom-6 player, i'd say his offensive potential is greater than Hovat's, however, Horvat certainly has the potential to be the better player.

But in a powerplay situation, why not put Vey on the 2nd unit? (He's not on the 1st unit anymore, pretty sure he's been replaced by Burrows). I guess when Vey is on the first unit (which hasn't been very often recently) then Horvat should get a chance though.

No way will Horvat be on the pp. He's not even from Medicine Hat.

Your joke is getting old, Pimp.

Bo is developing just fine where he is. I like how WD has given Vey opportunities to use his offensive skills while still toiling on the 4th line. Bo has only played 20 NHL games (Vey has 50). He will get his chance soon enough. I suspect the management team knows what is needed to develop Horvat into a complete player.

The 2nd PP unit minutes are hugely inconsistent; which is why the offense is terrible.

As long as the second unit is going to average 30 seconds per PP, they're going to have difficulty scoring.

The one argument that I could make for having Bo out there is that he's (at this point anyways) the best faceoff man on the team. When you have such limited time to make things happen, it's imperative that you start with possession.

It seems to me that the best pure shooter on the 2nd unit is Bones, so you might as well make him the trigger man, someone like Burr or Dorsett the net presence and Bo the setup guy. It's not like we're lighting it up right now, so what's the harm in giving it a shot?

BTW: Who looks after the PP anyway? Is it Gully?

Archived