The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinions

SabreFan1

I know this isn't a Sabres board, but I'm having a tough time figuring this one out and I need some neutral eyeballs to look at it. Any opinions on the intended principle point of contact with this hit from Bartkowski on Gionta?

I'm leading toward an intended head shot that managed to hit the top of the shoulder at the same time as the head, but I'm also prejudiced in favour of the Sabres since they're my hometown team.

*Also, Foligno hurt his hand during the ensuing fight. It was bad luck x2.

Gionta is kinda a small dude. Maybe a game or two would have been fine.

That's what I lean towards. The refs called it a head shot and ejected Bartkowski, but the league said Gionta put himself in a precarious position by going for the puck. It was a weak explanation.

That's what I lean towards. The refs called it a head shot and ejected Bartkowski, but the league said Gionta put himself in a precarious position by going for the puck. It was a weak explanation.

"Put himself in a weak position." Such BS. Gionta's like 5'9" or whatever doesn't headshots should be fair game on smaller players.

Cheap shot for sure. Bartkowski should be fully aware on Gionta's height, and should position his hit so that it's not dangerous.

IMO the right call would be 5+ games. That's the only way to get these types of hits out of the NHL.

But this is a Bruin after all, so no surprises here.

It's a poor angle to view it from. It may have been shoulder to shoulder and then the head. Gionta's short and Barkowski's 6 ft 1. That being said, you'd think Bartkowski would have bent down a little more to avoid the head and, if you pause in the right spot, Gionta's head is hit eventually. It just looks like the shoulder was hit first.

I'm going to say it's a hit to the head, but a different angled shot could say something entirely different in this case.

I think to really punish players they should have to be traded to Edmonton.

You do realize if that happened we'd be playing against a divisional rival of players who make hits to the head right? ;) We'd have players injured each time we played Edmonton.

Honestly, with Gionta standing up just before the hit I think it's fine. Bartkowski lines up to hit through the body and even when Gionta straightens he still ends up hitting the shoulder. The head is also contacted, but that appears to be incidental to me since he keeps his elbow in until after contact is made and he does have that shoulder contact rather than hitting across the body.

In my humble opinion I thought Bartkowski chicken winged and clipped him with an elbow on the follow through.

My thoughts too. Whenever I see the elbow go up, you know that a player is going for a high hit. No other reason for such a big guy not to keep his elbows tucked while hitting someone so much smaller.

So you're looking for "neutral eyeballs" on CDC with regard to a hit delivered by a Boston Bruin? Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Actually, people have been very insightful and reasonable. I don't like the Bruins or the Leafs, but I can make a subjective call if asked and I've seriously disliked the Bruins since 1980, others have even longer than that.

Archived